HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Difference between Pyrodex,Triple 7, and Black powder???????? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/282152-difference-between-pyrodex-triple-7-black-powder.html)

shooter50 01-10-2009 02:29 PM

Difference between Pyrodex,Triple 7, and Black powder????????

When sighting in a black powder rifle will changing between Pyrodex RS, Triple 7 FFG, and Goex FFG change the point of impact? I know they are FFG but was wondering if it changed, because today I sighted my rifle in with triple 7 FFG and I am almost out, and I have some Pyrodex RS and Goex FFG laying around. Or would it possibly shoot one better than the other. I would think that they all would shoot the same, but im a newbie at these smokepoles:)

mountaineer magic 01-10-2009 02:49 PM

RE: Difference between Pyrodex,Triple 7, and Black powder????????

i have switched powders with several of my inlines and get a different POI. I get a higher POI with 777 than with APP or pyrodex. that is why I am finishing my hunting with 777. I have to sight in with whichever powder I plan on hunting with. Blackhorn even gave me a higher POI than 777 when I tried it in my Triumph.

cayugad 01-10-2009 02:51 PM

yes changing powder can have a big effect on POI. When you change powders you change barrel pressures, burn times, and other factors. Any time you start changing the specifications on a load, you change the POI.

shooter50 01-10-2009 02:58 PM

I was told that if hunting in damp conditions that the black powder has a better chances of igniting than the triple 7. That is why I was trying to save my black powder. Is there any truth to that? cuz I would rather stay with the triple 7 because of the accuracy I had with it today, but I dont want to have a misfire in the woods.

mountaineer magic 01-10-2009 03:06 PM

ORIGINAL: shooter50

I was told that if hunting in damp conditions that the black powder has a better chances of igniting than the triple 7. That is why I was trying to save my black powder. Is there any truth to that? cuz I would rather stay with the triple 7 because of the accuracy I had with it today, but I dont want to have a misfire in the woods.
'I hunted all season with 777 in my inlines and my percussion. I never had a problem in the cold,snow,rain or anything else. Just keep the barrel and cap covered in severe weather and don't take the gun into a warm area where condensation may affect it, If in doubt fire it off and start with a fresh load the next trip out. I use to use black powder in the 80's but the substitutes are all I use now without any problems. If I was using a Flintlock then I would go back to blackpowder. I think 777 will do fine if you have an accurate load worked up.