Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 made s'more smoke!!! >

made s'more smoke!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

made s'more smoke!!!

Old 01-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: made s'more smoke!!!

Congrats ....... sounded like a lot of fun.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the doe and with a FL.
Great job.

Everytime I walk up to a kill I wonder how many times in the history of man has this senario played out and how we as hunters are still connected to those hunters before us regardless of the weapon choice.
I love that feeling
Old 01-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your deer.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Spike

Sound's like you had a great time in the wood's Mauser. Late Flintlock season has to be one of the most challanging and also the most enjoyable.

I see no problem with head on Chest shot like you took as long as the deer is close enough and you feel confident in your abilities. I have shot several deer head on and aimed right in the bottom of the white throat patch. They dropped intheir tracks and never moved. The bullet snapped the spine and it was a clean instant kill. Of course the deer were 12-15 yard's away.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats, sounds like a great day.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys!!

those of you that havent hunted with a flintlock, well...you aughta try it sometime!! its a blast! i'll admit though, if Pennsylvania didnt have a flintlock season, i would probably never ventured into the awesome sport of hunting and shooting a flintlock! lots of myths about them keep guys from ever thinking about touching one....but with a little knowledge, a good lock, and a shooter behind the trigger, well, they make meat and are very deadly!

our late season in PA is particularly tough hunting because of hunting pressure prior to the late season...plus, the unit i live and do most my hunting in, doe season for rifles has been in since the monday after Thanksgiving! any given day i can drive around my township and find rifle hunters...just very highly pressured deer...if it werent for buddies driving, i may never seen a deer...its that tough. if the deer arent moved by someone, chances of seeing them are slim to none..getting them into comfortable open sight flintlock range would be tougher....

fastflight, ive done that head on chest/neck shot on a couple deer now...2 with the flintlock, 1 in self defense at 10yds or so...last years..it was about to run me over...i stopped it, put my sights at the bottom of the white patch and dropped it...and the one in this post...like i said, i wouldnt have taken the shot if i didnt KNOW it would result in a dead deer that died very quickly...by the time i made it to her, she was done. i didnt reach inside yet, but im sure the ball hit the spine at some point...i put that one more into the chest rather than the neck...blew up atleast 1 lung...buddy gutted while i filled my tag out so i wasnt watching closely...also did it a time or 2 with the rifle...

first kill with the flinter was a groundhog at 45yds...im confident with my flinter! not cocky, but confident and know my limitations...20-25yds and a 5-6" target(head on chest shot) is a confident shot for me...like anything else, gotta know your weapon, its limitations, yourself and your own limitations. i know my eyes and opensights dont agree as well as they should...thats one limitation for me...even with fiberoptics...peeps arent legal in our flintlock season(unless they changed it) or id have a tang mounted peep and a FO front sight...i know i can shoot peeps well...wouldnt put a scope on it even if it were legal...i dont mind limiting factors...thats part of the fun!

our rocklock season came to an end today....got a decint snow storm so we didnt hunt...it was a great season....i dont know of anyone personally that has taken 2 in a season with the flintlock! cant wait to drop a buck with the flinter!!! i either fill my buck tag prior to the season or dont see or get a shot at a legal buck with the flinter...might start using it in rifle season though...ive carried it a few times but never on our rifle season deer drives....my big thing is dropping the buck before they make it to someone else (in my group or not..theres alot of hunters out in our regular rifle season...) thats why i havent taken the flinter...but some days i may start just because i want a buck with it that bad!
Old 01-11-2009, 12:05 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats!
Old 01-12-2009, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats