Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 made s'more smoke!!! >

made s'more smoke!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

made s'more smoke!!!

Old 01-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default made s'more smoke!!!

2 oclock must be my lucky time!!!

today me and 2 buddies went hunting...i was the only shooter...we been hunting off and on all flintlock season...scouting, seeing whats left, practicing/trying to perfect our drives and learn our deer etc..mostly hunting new woods we dont or havent pushed in a long while...not expecting to do much shooting, but willing and able...!

today it all connected for us again...first push i kicked up 3 walking into my spot and a rifle hunter(2B its legal) shot at one of them...buddies seen them and a couple others...

next couple drives didnt produce much...noone seen deer...which is odd, exsepcially with snow...we usually get atleast glimpses of them with snow pretty much every drive...a little disheartened, we decided on 1 more push before quitting early to do some farm work...

not long after i sat down i seen a couple deer coming about 100yds away through the woods..they stopped behind a big blow down and i couldnt see them...thought they were going to get behind my buddies and get out of the drive...but i was wrong! 15 minutes later or so i seen the deer coming down the creek 100yds away and heard my other buddy start making a little noise across the creek to try to get them to head up the hillside to me...

i love when everything works like we plan for! the deer turned up the hill and were running right at me..i was sitting on the right side of a small ditch that ran into the bigger creek bottom...got the hammer back when i realized i was likely going to get a shot and got ready...they came to a halt 20-25yds away...first one looked tiny...2nd one looked bigger..i didnt think it was huge but it looked noticably bigger body wise..and i did a button check and couldnt see any nubs or anything..it was facing directly at me...most guys dont like that shot, but ive come to like it and will take it...even with a round ball...i got the sights barreled down on the center of her chest, set the hair trigger and touched er off...

THAPOW!!! i watched her collapse dead in her tracks! i was pumped!

30yds or so behind i watched 2 or 3 other deer, all much bigger bolt...

i was very surprised to find mine to be a yearling doe...happened pretty quick, but i knew at first glance mine was noticeably bigger than the first one that was in the group..figured mine was a young doe and the other was her fawn, but i was wrong..they were both yearlings running infront of their moms from what i could tell...

oh well! easy dragging, and great eating!! im happy!

this makes 2 for the year and my 3rd flintlock kill! me and my rifle have killed the last 3 deer weve shot at!! hope i dont jinx myself! i just started following through and its paid!

here she is!

for the PA guys----WMU 2B Beaver co(yes i could be rifle hunting but i love making smoke!!!)

50cal TC hawken, 90gr 3fg Schuetzen, .490 hornady ball, .015 pre-lubed tc patches, 4fg goex in the pan....deadly combo! thats my 3rd with that combo! all 3 dropped dead!

(2pm must be my lucky time because the one i killed last friday with the flinter was taken at 2:05 and todays was 2:00
Old 01-08-2009, 07:42 PM
mountaineer magic

Default RE: made s'more smoke!!!

Congrats. Nice going and a very nice looking Fl. It's a good feeling when you don't have to track

Old 01-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the doe! I bet she'll be some seriously good eating.

Hammer
Old 01-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations on that young doe... That should besome excellent eating there.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

mauser06

Awesome... love success & CONGRATS
Old 01-08-2009, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!!!! Great story & pics. That must be an extra challenge going out with the FL - something I'll need to try someday- looks like fun.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats
Old 01-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good job - One way to tell if its a young doe (if you don't want to shoot one) is the snout is usually much shorter in proportion to the rest of the face. An older doe's snout will appear slimmer and longer.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Typical Buck

Cool story. Makes me want to go out and get a FL.

Congrats!

Quick Reply: made s'more smoke!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.