Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 What do you think of a 1:24 barrel >

What do you think of a 1:24 barrel

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What do you think of a 1:24 barrel

Old 01-09-2009, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What do you think of a 1:24 barrel

Yes, the Savage is a 1-24 twist

Sabotloader, just curious, how do you like the Hi-LUX scope?
Old 01-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

fusion

For the price I think it might be a very good scope. From my conversatios with and Toby and the people at Hi-Lux they are very interested in helping you and feel their product is very strongly built.

My concerns were weight - it is a heavy scope - but it is steel, the eyepiece is a bit bulky as compared to a Elite 3200 or a Leupold and the eye relief is not that long 3.3 on 9 power, but that does not bother me as I am not recoil conscious. It did hit the bill of my hat a couple of times but other than that it seems to be very good - optics are reallygood and bright.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:39 AM
mountaineer magic

ORIGINAL: chetmarks

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I wonder if that is the barrel they were putting on that special Hawkins with the long brass scope that they were selling for $699.00 or something like that. If it is, I got to have me one of them.
I called green mountain. they said it will be in stock by March They are only selling it with the period correct Hilux scope. The retail is $599.99. So it looks like a 2 month wait
DUH! I don't know why i said hi-lux scope. That has been in my head lately. The scope is a leatherwood optics 6X . It is not a Hi_lux . Sorry[&o]

Old 01-11-2009, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

My InvestArms Hawken Carbine is a 1 in 24" twist rate barrel. I shoots great sabots and conicals:

I also shot some Barnes expander sabots with similar results.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

spaniel

think the jury is still out for sabot use. Most 1:24s that came out a few years ago did NOT shoot well with sabots, the noise I picked up seemed to be that you had to keep the velocity down. The whole rationale for a faster twist is to use longer, heavier, higher BC bullets but you can't take advantage of them if you have to keep the velocity down. My hypothesis is that the sabots (which are very soft for MLs compared to sabots used in centerfire fast-twist rounds) begin to jump the rifling. Just a guess...
Not sure about the Spaniel - I have a White model 97 - U-Mag and sabots is all I shoot from it. I shoot the same combinations from it as I shoot from any other of my other inlines but I do have to change sabots to the MMP Short Black or the MMP HPH-12. I shoot 110 grains of T7-2f and the gun is accurate as anything I own and certainly is capable of shooter better than I can shoot...

This is a fairly recent target shot after a scope change - wanted to try one of the Hi-Lux - Toby Brodges scopes....

That will work for me.... I have a 200 yard target also soeplace but can not find it....It was decent also
Good to hear, most people I know shoot conicals from them.

I did not mean to imply 1:24s are universally bad (as mentioned the Savage is also) but at least in the .45s there have been a ton of problems with them. Rifling differs between guns even at the same twist, which would be one explanation, and another is the difference in calibers (as I mention the problems I references were in .45s). All I know is that it's not hard to get accuracy in a 1:28 but a lot of 1:24 offerings have been problematic.

Note that I never got my hands on one of the problematic .45s...if I had heard any good things about them I would have bought one back then as I liked the concept but reports were universally negative. I wish I could get my hands on one to test the reports myself. If sabots were really jumping rifling, you'd think the larger calibers would be MORE problematic as it seems the rifling would have to have a steeper pitch to match the twist rate (ie more distance of barrel to get around).
Old 01-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Spike

My White U-Mag will shoot orange MMP sabots with a remington 300gn .458, 80gns t-7ff. 100 yds dead on. Same gun will also shoot 460 Bullshop conical .5045, 1/16 fiberwad, 80gns t-7ff. Either load will dial in at 100 yds.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Redpep

Yep!

Old 01-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Dominant Buck

rafsob.. that's some good shooting there. I bet you were pleased with that little rifle ..
Old 01-12-2009, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

rafsob.. that's some good shooting there. I bet you were pleased with that little rifle ..
Dave, I was really happy when I laid down that huge doelast year. That little carbine did allthat I could ask for.