Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 The Pro-Hunter / SW250...HSBS combo scores again!!!! >

The Pro-Hunter / SW250...HSBS combo scores again!!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The Pro-Hunter / SW250...HSBS combo scores again!!!!

Old 01-04-2009, 10:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default The Pro-Hunter / SW250...HSBS combo scores again!!!!

Here's the set-up:

Encore Pro-Hunter - black and stainless thumbhole under a Burris Fullfield 3x9 ballistic plex
250 gr SW and Harvestershort black sabot
110 grains of 2f Triple7
Winchester 209A primers

Saturday morning in southern TN got off to late start due to rain. Unfortunately, around 7:00 a.m. when the rain stopped we still had unseasonally warm temps (60) and heavy fog. We decided to cover the food sources (since it rained all night)...thinking they would hit the green fields after the fog lifted. Well, we were right on the money. We all saw bunches of deer almost immediately afterwards. I was sitting in a shooting house covering a field that was 150 yards long. Well, after watching several groups of doe enter and exit the field (moving right to left and vice versa...only about 40 yards wide), there was a group of four doe thatskirted the far edge of the field...just inside the the tree line. After detecting the fourth in line was a big girl, I gave her a loud fawn bleep just as she was passing behind a tree (thinking she would stop and look just past the tree). The plan worked perfectly...she was slightly quartering towards me, moving right to left...standing at 160 yards (+/- 5 yards...lasered)

So, given that I am producing a little over 2000 fps, I placed the "150 yard dot" on her left shoulder and squeezed. It tookFOREVER for the smoke to clear and when it did I saw nothing. After a quick reload (no swabbing and no issue loading at all), I called my buddy (his farm) and we started looking for sign.My buddy quickly found the spot where I hit her (hair and blood) and about 10 yards later she actually ran throughthe bottom half of a barb-wire fence. Just on the other side of thefence she smashed into a small tree and apparently fell down (a massive amount of blood) andthen regained her feet and kept going. Well, after about 100 yards of very easy tracking wefound her. I mean to tell you shewas gushing blood out of the exit hole with every step.As it ended up, the BDC scope did its job,the bullet entered forward of the left shoulder and exited just behind the right shoulder. The entry hole was obviously the size of a 45 cal but the exit wasvery impressive!

Old 01-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: The Pro-Hunter / SW250...HSBS combo scores again!!!!

Here's the exit wound:

Old 01-04-2009, 10:48 PM
Fork Horn

Above I simply cut some of the hide away to improve the view. Also, I know a lot of the rebate around SW's has to do with the close range shots, but these bullets are awesome with any kind of distance. And, given how accurate the SW's are, I think they extend my shooting range by a good 50 yards.

Hammer
Old 01-04-2009, 11:00 PM
Fork Horn

Nice shot ! I was hoping to test the burris out this year, but it never panned out. I like to see those SW photos.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hammer49

Above I simply cut some of the hide away to improve the view. Also, I know a lot of the rebate around SW's has to do with the close range shots, but these bullets are awesome with any kind of distance. And, given how accurate the SW's are, I think they extend my shooting range by a good 50 yards.

Hammer
Good description, excellent long range bullet, exactly what they are designed for. They do extend shooting range about 50 yards if you sight in 3" high at 100 or use a BDC like you were.
Chap
Old 01-05-2009, 04:50 AM
Fork Horn

Good shooting. 160 yards is a good poke for sure. Impressive exit wound. Amazing that a deer can go 100 yards with a hole like that in it. Good job
Old 01-05-2009, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great shooting.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:21 AM
Dominant Buck

nice job. It looks like you have it all figured out right.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow nice exit hole. congrats on your doe.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the doe.

Quick Reply: The Pro-Hunter / SW250...HSBS combo scores again!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.