Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

t/c vs cva

Old 01-04-2009, 08:21 AM
Spike

Default t/c vs cva

which is a better M/L. I have seen the post on omega vs. triumph, which was really helpful, but is cva better, i am a t/c fan myself, but i want to buy the best and easiest M/L for my first. not sure which way to go
Old 01-04-2009, 08:32 AM
mountaineer magic

Default RE: t/c vs cva

That's a question that will generate a lot of opinions. As a consumer that has several Muzzleloaders from both companies My opinion is that TC is the best by far between the two . I am not the least bit impressed by the CVA's that I have. I will probably never buy another one. The Triumph is my favorite TC (at the moment). I like it it a lot better than my Omega.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

If it is it would be a first. Back when I had a shop and worked on guns and bows I learn all the reasons for staying clear ofcertain brands. Lee
Old 01-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Dominant Buck

For a first muzzleloaders you could not go wrong with the Thompson Center Brands. Although the forum reports on the new Accura sure are good. Those that own them really like them. I suggest you go to a sporting goods (where you might get a good deal this time of year) and handle as many rifles as you can. Look them over and see which one appeals to you.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

dave has good advice,take what you read here and GO TRY the feel of gun.

if you do a lot of walking, shorter lighter gun is good.
if you sit like me, i like no less than a 28 inch barrel and LONGER barrels balance a lot better than shorter ones.

back in 1970 i knew nothing about a muzzleloader.

no one helped you at all, i tried about 6 different muzzleloaders,when i got to THOMPSON HAWKINS .50 CAL FLINTLOCK,i noticed a big diffference in way it pulled up and how it felt looking at mount on wall.

i went back over all guns again, same thing, the smaller length barrels felt terrible to pull up and aim.

yes, they were light but felt terrible.

so, i bought the hawkins for 119 dollars new,back then they threw in a can of 2f powder which was 3.85 a can and rb for 1.99 for 100.

personelly, i would buy nothing but THOMPSON in the flintlock as that is where i have knowledge.

their service is great, i sent my barrel in to have nicks touched up and they fixed and blued it nice.

that was over 35 years old on gun, now THAT SERVICE.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have both and both are good guns. The optmia elite is a fine shooting gun. It comes with the same bergara barrel as the TC encore. The CVA is a more no frills or extras on it. In my opion the TC take more time to fine detail where the CVA is a more plain jane. Like any company a person can get good and bad in both, but from my experience both shoot well.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

i have an Encore .50 caliber, a CVA StagHorn and a CVAMag Hunter. That Encore is a really nice gun and it is accurate. However, it is no more accurate than either of the cheap CVA guns. That Encore is also very heavy.
It is notmy go to gun gun for a walking hunt.

That Encore comes in handy to show off with in a photo with anice big hog.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Spike

You generally get what you pay for, quality wise. That said, I know some CVA guns that will outshoot T/C and vice versa. I would not be scared to buy a CVA and use it as long as I didn't plan on shooting more than 100 grains of powder.

That said, I don't own a CVA, got two T/C's and one Knight.

AND, don't get a T/C gun with a QLA (false muzzle, both the Omega and Encore have them) if you ever plan on shooting conicals. They are not designed to shoot conicals well.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

t/c vs cva they both will harvest game [deer] if u get a good one u wont have to buy a second or third or fifth because thats all u need to hunt..
Old 01-04-2009, 12:39 PM
mountaineer magic

ORIGINAL: heinz57

u wont have to buy a second or third or fifth because thats all u need to hunt..
Sure you will. I have 12 and I need a 13th and 14th. Everyone needs more muzzleloaders than they have don't they?? I can think of at least 2 more I need right now.
I will never catch Dave though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.