HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   finnaly shot my genesis (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/280876-finnaly-shot-my-genesis.html)

bowfisherman 01-01-2009 02:56 PM

finnaly shot my genesis

This was the first time I ever fired a muzzleloader. I enjoyed shooting it more than my cartridge rifles. I did not fire a primer off before loading and it did not fire the first time. Put another primer in and it fired. After that I fired off a primer before loading everytime and had no problems. I swabbed with alcohol between shots. I only shot at 25 yards to get it roughly dialed in and get the feel of the gun. suprisingly it kicked no more than a 410 shotgun. I was shooting 44/50 cal 240 grain xtp's and 45/50 cal 200 grain shockwaves using 100 grains of pyrodex pellets and 777 primers. Even at 25 yards I can see my genesis prefered the shockwaves. Trigger was light and crisp and the recoil pad is excellent. Had to wipe it down between shots or the cam would get stuck but I was told that in advance so no problems. I wish the sights were a little finer for more precise aiming but I decided I will be getting a scope so it's not a big deal. I can see this gun easily being a 100 yard weapon for me. It will be interesting to play with loose powder and more types of bullets in the future. Thanks for all the help and answering all my newbie questions, Brad

bowfisherman 01-01-2009 03:01 PM

RE: finnaly shot my genesis

Next cabelas trip I'm stocking up on powder. I got ripped off on the pyrodex pellets at dicks sporting goods. 36 bucks!

WV Mountaineer 01-01-2009 03:09 PM

Bowfisherman some of the Walmarts put their blackpowder substitutes on sale today. If you have one near you be sure to check it out !!!

bowfisherman 01-01-2009 03:30 PM

My walmart doesn't even carry guns anymore but they do still sell ammo so I'll check. My lab ate my tv remote so I need to go there anyway.

Semisane 01-01-2009 04:24 PM

My lab ate my tv remote so I need to go there anyway.
Too many TV remotes aren't good for dogs. You should try to limit him to just one every two weeks or so. :D

cayugad 01-01-2009 06:26 PM

The trick to making them shoot is fire off that primer before the FIRST shot. That's to clear the breech plug. After that you swab with a damp and then a couple dry patches, no need to fire a primer off, load your powder and sabot, and then a primer and fire.

I agree on the sights.. that's why I went to a 1x32mm scope. It makes shooting a LOT more accurate for me.

bronko22000 01-01-2009 06:30 PM

Well like Cayugad said, you only have to snap a primer off before your shooting session. Welcome to the wonderful world of muzzleloading. Hope your rilfe works well for you. Just keep it clean.

cayugad 01-01-2009 06:46 PM

One thing I take to the range is Q-tips and rubbing alcohol. If the primer port start to get hard to seat or remove, wet a Q-tip and poke it in that primer pocket and scrub that clean. Then wipe out all the small hard to reach places. Use the other end to dry the area.. This will help the primers fall right out of the breech plug after you shoot.

Semisane 01-01-2009 06:57 PM

Good tip Cayugad. I do that too. I also bring a small hand towel. During the summer I bring two, one for dirty hands and one for the sweaty face.

bowfisherman 01-02-2009 08:13 AM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

The trick to making them shoot is fire off that primer before the FIRST shot. That's to clear the breech plug. After that you swab with a damp and then a couple dry patches, no need to fire a primer off, load your powder and sabot, and then a primer and fire.

I agree on the sights.. that's why I went to a 1x32mm scope. It makes shooting a LOT more accurate for me.
Oh ok, that will save me some primers. I'll definitely find a way to fire a primer off before a hunt. I was suprised at how easily the barrel cleaned up with soapy water.