HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Traditions 50 Cal (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/280769-traditions-50-cal.html)

PAHUNTER105 12-31-2008 05:55 PM

Traditions 50 Cal

Thanks to all who have replied to my post on Sabots. I am using a Traditions 50 Cal. Anyone using this gun? If so, what combination of Sabot/ Powder are you guys using. I have to say, this forum is great for bowhunters like me to learn the ways of black powder....Thanks Again and Happy New Year...

JKC

cayugad 12-31-2008 06:43 PM

RE: Traditions 50 Cal

What brand of Tradition's 50 caliber rifle are you shooting? Model, twist, type of action.. and what did you want to shoot?

pa257 12-31-2008 09:47 PM

I bought my first FL, a Traditions Pa Pellet FL. I was going to buy a Thompson but the local guy was sold out so instead of going to D**k's or Gander I gave my business to the smaller store. A couple of things bout the gun:

1. The plastic stock is pretty cheap and makes the gun very unbalanced.

2. The trigger is awful. Real heavy with some creep.

3. I bought the kit and everything was easy to use and all I needed was powder to shoot.

4. Frizzen and flint spark very reliable so far.

5. Don't know how accurate, only shot at 25 yards but so far so good.

I've shot 70 grains of 777 powder and 295 grain powerbelt copper HP. There is a slight delay < 1sec but noticeable from spark to fire but I assume this is normal for a FL? Or is it because I'm using 777 instead of BP? I make sure I prime the touch hole before shooting.

So does anyone make replacement stock for the PA pellet and does anyone know a way to lighten that trigger? I'll probably just buy a Thompson next year but if this proves to be accurate I'd like to tweak it a bit and keep it, I have three kids, so someone can always use it.

cayugad 12-31-2008 10:00 PM

ORIGINAL: pa257

I bought my first FL, a Traditions Pa Pellet FL. I was going to buy a Thompson but the local guy was sold out so instead of going to D**k's or Gander I gave my business to the smaller store. A couple of things bout the gun:

3. I bought the kit and everything was easy to use and all I needed was powder to shoot.

I've shot 70 grains of 777 powder and 295 grain powerbelt copper HP. There is a slight delay < 1sec but noticeable from spark to fire but I assume this is normal for a FL? Or is it because I'm using 777 instead of BP? I make sure I prime the touch hole before shooting.

So does anyone make replacement stock for the PA pellet and does anyone know a way to lighten that trigger? I'll probably just buy a Thompson next year but if this proves to be accurate I'd like to tweak it a bit and keep it, I have three kids, so someone can always use it.
Well it you have a good spark, I will bet that if you went to pure black powder that it would amaze you how fast it fires. I have a Traditions Woodsman Hawkins flintlock and it is real fast with black powder. You might want to check also and see if RMC sells a touch hole liner with a allen head for that rifle. The touch hole is a slight larger and lets just a little more spark in there. It seems to speed things up.

The rifle can be sent back to Traditions and you can ask them to lighten it. But they will only go so far with them. I think it is 3-1/2 pounds. Some have worked the triggers over with different things and got them to lighten up a little.

The PA Pellet does come with a wood stock I believe. Contact Traditions and see if they have any. They might be willing to make you a trade + some extra, or sell you one.

I know a person that shoots a PA Pellet and used 80 grains of Goex 2f and a 240 grain XTP and claimed he got excellent accuracy. In case you want to play some more. :D

sproulman 12-31-2008 10:38 PM

;)

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Well it you have a good spark, I will bet that if you went to pure black powder that it would amaze you how fast it fires. I have a Traditions Woodsman Hawkins flintlock and it is real fast with black powder. You might want to check also and see if RMC sells a touch hole liner with a allen head for that rifle. The touch hole is a slight larger and lets just a little more spark in there. It seems to speed things up.

The rifle can be sent back to Traditions and you can ask them to lighten it. But they will only go so far with them. I think it is 3-1/2 pounds. Some have worked the triggers over with different things and got them to lighten up a little.

The PA Pellet does come with a wood stock I believe. Contact Traditions and see if they have any. They might be willing to make you a trade + some extra, or sell you one.

I know a person that shoots a PA Pellet and used 80 grains of Goex 2f and a 240 grain XTP and claimed he got excellent accuracy. In case you want to play some more. :D
we just sighted one in yesterday in wind at 25 yds.
it had wooden stock.

i was surprised at how light it was,man, compared to my hawkins, it was really light.

we used rb and 70 grs of 2f and he was almost hitting same hole.

only problem i had is i like the 6 o,clock hold.

you had to almost push the rear sight off the mount to get that hold.

i think sights are built for a dead center hold on target.

i was impressed on that little gun, its light and a real pleasure to carry and would be real nice in treestand or driving deer or a lot of walkingand very accurate.

RMC does carry the touch hole liners.they also have the shop right in same building with store, they can answer your questions over phone too.

you want to see a nice set up on open sights for hunting,take one of their V-PEEP sights and have gunsmith mount it right back in front f the frizzen.

i am very happy with mine there for hunting, its great.

pa257 12-31-2008 10:41 PM

I'll have to try some Goex 2f, I'm using 3f 777 right now. Also, you might have to take my definition of a delay with a grain of salt, this is the first FL I've ever shot.

I have been spit cleaning between shots, basically licking one side of the patch, tun it over to dry and re-load. Should I clean more between shots? Also should I break the gun down for a complete cleaning if I'm going to shoot the next day?

I'll contact traditions, thanks for the info and help.

pa257 12-31-2008 10:49 PM

I shot today in the wind. Man the wind has been blowing hard the last couple of days. Between the wet snow back in Oct and this wind my poor apple trees are taken a beating. Forget solar, I'm putting up a windmill.

Gotbuck 01-01-2009 12:56 PM

All of my 50 cal inlines are Traditions and they all love 100 grains of pyro pellets and either a 250 gr or 300 gr Shockwave bullet with the supplied sabots. I take a silicon lubed patch and wipe the bore clean then load it up and it shoots tacks out to 100 yards which is my limit range, it will shoot 200 yards as I've shot it on a range but never at a deer that far.

pa257 01-02-2009 04:35 PM

I shot some more today. I went with 75 grains 777 with a 295 gr powerbelt copper HP. Not bad at 25 yards, not great but it seems to like a fouler before grouping better i.e. < 2". I shot one from 50 yards using my hunting rest (a "Y" branch that I found during rifle season) and was 4" left of center and 1" high. I'll take that. I don't think I would take a shot over 50 yards with open sights, my vision just ain't what it used to be. A couple more things about the gun:

1. Broke down very easy and cleaned up just fine with hot soapy water.

2. I found a screw on the sear engagement which was backed all the way out, so I screwed it in and voila: the trigger is lighter. Again, not great but certainly lighter than it was.

Now for a couple of more questions:

1. The powerbelts are easy to seat without a lot of resistance, would a tighter fitting projectile be more accurate? Is that the general rule of thumb?

2. I noticed that I had almost no delay when I primed the pan with less powder. I was also tapping the powder towards the touch hole so that it would dam up against the touch hole. I'm guessing this actually added to the delay?

3. I think cayugad mentioned using windshield washer fluid to clean between shots, can I do that with 777? I happened to find a gallon in my garage, and I thought this would work better than my spit cleaning.

gleason.chapman 01-02-2009 05:08 PM

I've shot 70 grains of 777 powder
There is your problem, switch to pure Black Powder, not 777. 777 requires hot ignition to ignite. That will speed up your lock time.
Chap