Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

sabbots

Old 01-01-2009, 05:25 PM

Default sabbots

Hi guys, new to the forum. Been shooting smokepoles for 35 yrs. I tried an inline Omega z7. I like it, I dont really care for the sabbots. I tried the power belts, like throwing rocks, I went back to the maxi ball. Been casting them for a long time with pure lead and geting 5 shots in 3" at 100 yds with 100 grs of t7 loose powder and win 209's and t7 primers. I use my mix of bees & wax olive oil, and I tefflon tape the plug.
How do you guys like bh 209 have heard alot abt it. but dont know how it compares to t7 and maxiballs.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: sabbots

coupe101
What is a Z7 like? Is it similar to my Z5?
You might try a few of the new FPB Hornady high BC conical they are in my opinion the best of the conicals by far. Lee
Old 01-01-2009, 06:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

coupe - what weight Powerbelts were you shooting to have them like throwing rock when compared to a 370 Maxiball? You know you can get them in 223gr?
And with sabots there is a wide assortment of combinations you can use depending on the sabot you select. A few of us have been having excellent accuracy (1 MOA) using saboted bullets. The trick is getting the right 'recipe' for your particular rifle.
But I am not putting down the good old Maxiball. It is a good projectile in its own right and has taken a lot of game. If they shoot well for you that's great.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Dominant Buck

He might mean an X7 with the peep sight ... Semisane just broke down and bought one of them AND SOME BLACKHORN 209 (FINALLY)... they are a nice looking rifle.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, I read that Dave. Seem like I'm one of the few that haven't gotten bit by the BH209 bug yet. I'm hoping I can stick with my BP and Pyrodex.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:26 PM

You are right, I pressed the wrong 5, it is a z5 not a z7 I was shooting 295 power belts and they were all over. I did some hornaday and were better but pricey. The group came in with the maxi and the sabots were not the cure-all as I have read they were to be. I never liked the pellets for two reasons: when loaded with sabots and a fouled bbl. you can crush them and the result is a loss in accuracy, price is next I can get more shots with loose powder for the same price. The 370 maxi did as well as the sabots I tried, and I cast them so the price is right, and the extra is the feeling one gets when you have put together your own mix and it does well. I guess I'm an old diehard, I used a PBR for most of my hunting with the old hawkin I made from the blue print of KIT CARSON's hawkin, it took me a year to do it, but it was fun.