Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 ? for BH209, no swab shooters >

? for BH209, no swab shooters

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

? for BH209, no swab shooters

Old 12-27-2008, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default ? for BH209, no swab shooters

Guys,

How in the world do you keep your barrel from getting hot? I have used T7 exclusively, swabbing between every shot (except when I was hunting a few weeks ago...shot a doe that ran 15 yds, reloaded without swabbing, shot an 8 pt, reloaded again without swabbing, and checked both...never had a problem loading the Encore, like no problem at all) and still battle the hot barrel. I think shooting without swabbing (really just taking the time for the barrel to cool) would produce marginal groups. Right??? I hope I'm wrong here...would love to avoid the swabbing but hate the idea of stringy groups. Thoughts????

Hammer
Old 12-27-2008, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ? for BH209, no swab shooters

ORIGINAL: Hammer49

Guys,

How in the world do you keep your barrel from getting hot? I have used T7 exclusively, swabbing between every shot (except when I was hunting a few weeks ago...shot a doe that ran 15 yds, reloaded without swabbing, shot an 8 pt, reloaded again without swabbing, and checked both...never had a problem loading the Encore, like no problem at all) and still battle the hot barrel. I think shooting without swabbing (really just taking the time for the barrel to cool) would produce marginal groups. Right??? I hope I'm wrong here...would love to avoid the swabbing but hate the idea of stringy groups. Thoughts????

Hammer
I have the same problem with my Savage, my solution to that is to use a battery powered tire pump and blow air down the barrel.Some folks place a rod that was soaked in ice water down the barrel. I don'tlike that, since I think the moisture is a problem in a barrel. Shooting between Jan and April is the best way to get ready for next year, find your bullet and load, then chill out over the summer unless you wanna shoot between 7am and 9am in the summer, too hot otherwise.
Chap
Old 12-28-2008, 06:46 PM
mountaineer magic

I shot a lot this past summer and know what you mean. After a couple of shots the barrel would be real hot. I solved the problem by taking 4 or 5 of my muzzle loaders at one time. I loaded and shot one then went on to the next one. I could shoot all day, have all kinds of fun and still never shot the same gun for at least 10 minutes. Plenty of cool down time between shots and non stop shooting fun. So just take plenty of guns with you . problem solved.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: chetmarks

I shot a lot this past summer and know what you mean. After a couple of shots the barrel would be real hot. I solved the problem by taking 4 or 5 of my muzzle loaders at one time. I loaded and shot one then went on to the next one. I could shoot all day, have all kinds of fun and still never shot the same gun for at least 10 minutes. Plenty of cool down time between shots and non stop shooting fun. So just take plenty of guns with you . problem solved.
i take my 22 cal pistol and shoot 25 shots at my target thing while my muzz cools down