Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Reusing a bullet

Old 12-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default Reusing a bullet

Dove-tailing off of the BH209 corrosion topic from earlier, can you reuse a bullet after pushing out a load? I've read that the sabot isn't reusable (no problem there) but never saw the bullet specifically addressed. Thanks in advance!!!!!

Hammer
Old 12-26-2008, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Reusing a bullet

You can reuse both the bullet and the sabot. The sabot is fine for range work as well as the bullet. If the bullet shows no signs of damage I would not worry about hunting with it again.
I even reuse the powder after pushing it out, which I no longer do much.

Al
Old 12-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: alleyyooper

You can reuse both the bullet and the sabot. The sabot is fine for range work as well as the bullet. If the bullet shows no signs of damage I would not worry about hunting with it again.
I even reuse the powder after pushing it out, which I no longer do much.

Al
you know, i wish there was way to remove my powerbelts each day after hunting from my flintlock hawkins.

not only safety thing but the cost a buck a piece to shoot.

i thought if they could put threads in hollow point of bullet, i could pull it back out but i guess it would be a safety issue if done, someone would blow their hand off
Old 12-26-2008, 11:32 AM

I know guys that do reuse there sabots and bullets.... personally I dont reuse when I push a load out. I know there not exactly cheap but neither is a in-accurate shot. Every hunt I use FRESH powder and sabots/bullets. I dont believe in skimping. If I did then I would go buy a regular rifle and toss in one of them sealed cartridges that most people use.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

as things get worst in this economy, many we try to save a buck here and there.

my dad told me stories how you would only use 1 bullet for deer hunting and no sighting in of rifles in depression.

he also feels we are heded that way now, he pulled all his money out of the banks.

powerbelt bullets are not cheap to shoot out each day,i usually leave my charge in for 3 days ,then shoot it out.

but it would be nice to be able to take a hawkins and remove it daily.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Typical Buck

I have picked up sabots off the ground and reshot them at targets,still hit the same place.

Charlie
Old 12-28-2008, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did test with pre shot sabots and found they work fine as long as the pedals are intact. I still only use them at the range since I can still at this time afford new sabots and bullets.

Just some thing to find out for your self at the range.

[]Yup I believe we are past resessionwell into depresstion. when a half milloin people loose their job a month it has to be past resesstion.

Al
Old 12-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wondered about that to so I saved 5 SW 250gr and 5 250 gr Gold Dot and took them to the range and shot them over the top of a group of same fired as a control, since I put all of them in the same group at 100 yds I no longer worry about it I use them for what ever including hunting, since the group I did that with sabots on had a couple of fliers I don't reuse thepowder since I use grease on the BP[it would be difficult if not impossible to use tape on a Triumph] and reusing powder that might be contaminated with grease never even occurred to me. Lee
Old 12-28-2008, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the input guys!

Lee-

You turned me onton the 110 gr of T7 and HSBS (thru my T/C Encore)...my question is do the same stats typically work for BH209? I believe research has shown me you use 120 gr og BH209. Thanks in advance!

Hammer
Old 12-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hammer49
They are similer,the BH gives about the same velocity as 777-FFF since no two guns react exactly the same when I switched powders to get away from crud ring and swabbing every timeI tried 10gr up and 10 down.
I will post a couple of targets to show what happened. Lee

Quick Reply: Reusing a bullet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.