Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

777 is garbage

Old 12-22-2008, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 777 is garbage

ORIGINAL: Woodrow88

I shot it the other day so I cleaned it thoroughly. It may have been some stuff in breech plug who knows?? I ran a dry patch down it before I loaded it and went hunting the day before this happened. I left gun in my truck loaded and went hunting yesterday when this happened. It could have had some condensationdevelop?? Never happened to me before but to not be able to seat another sabot for a follow up shot is not good. I use TC shockwave superglides.
What kind of gun is this? I see you are in Kentucky so it is sufficiently cold that condensation SHOULD not have been an issue. The single occurence of a failure to fire I have ever had with 777 in an inline was this year, when my 3rd load of the day failed to fire off when I returned home...I'd been hunting in the pouring rain.

I am surprised that you have such an effort loading a second shot when you are already using superglides!! I am assuming the 250gr bullet? I can't even get those down my barrel (Omega) with the standard sabot, the superglides are snug but not so bad.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

TC ProHunter, I have a friend that has a endevoir and he had same problem with not being able to load a second shot in field. Man, I really like the pellets hate to go to loose powder. maybe BH209 will come out with some pellets. Yes I use 250 grainsuperglides with 100 grains of 777 pellets
Old 12-22-2008, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Woodrow88

TC ProHunter, I have a friend that has a endevoir and he had same problem with not being able to load a second shot in field. Man, I really like the pellets hate to go to loose powder. maybe BH209 will come out with some pellets. Yes I use 250 grainsuperglides with 100 grains of 777 pellets
How old were the pellets? Now I don't use pellets, but I bought a box of pyrodex pellets years back just to try. The box they came in was just a plastic snap box, no real moisture seal. Are the 777 pellets like that too? I could see them gathering some moisture if they were too old. I use loose 777 and seal my jugs up nice and tight, only once did I have an old one seem to lose some power. I always open a new jug in Sept/Oct to sight in for the season and hunt with, I never use the leftover jug from the previous year (by then I shoot it up fun shooting anyways).
Old 12-22-2008, 09:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

I just don't get the aversion to loose powder a lot of guys have. I shoot loose only, and use preloaded powder tubes. I've often shot side-by-side on the range with someone shooting pellets and find loading loose powder from a tube is at least as fast and easy as pellets, perhaps faster and easier. Get yourself a supply of LaneNebrasks's powder tubes and give it a try.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can count me in as another ML guy that will never use T7 again. However I think I am also going to skip the BH209 also. There is no reason(other than rape) for a powder to cost that much. I am going back to what has never let me down. 3F Black Powder. Tom.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Banned

you have more of a chance with bh209 misfiring/hangfiring than T7.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:33 PM

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

You can count me in as another ML guy that will never use T7 again. However I think I am also going to skip the BH209 also. There is no reason(other than rape) for a powder to cost that much. I am going back to what has never let me down. 3F Black Powder. Tom.
Sounds like with all this dislike of T7 the demand will really drop. Maybe next time I buy it will be much cheaper!

Old 12-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Again not dislike of T7. It is good powder as covered here. I just feel the BH209 is shooting better in my Pro Hunter. In addition I like the no swab between shots it allows me.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only time I have ever had any problems with any powder, has been when I didn't do what need to be done to ensure it went bang. This includes proper cleaning and drying of my ML'er, proper pre-loading procedures that are repeatable and proper storage of my powders.[&:]
Old 12-23-2008, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

2 yrs ago i had problems with 777 pellet misfiring ,i called and talked to a tech about it . they told me that 777 was 10 TIMES MORE LIKELY TO DRAW MOISTURE THEN PYRODEX. thats when i stopped useing it. i have shot SHOCKEY'S GOLD STICKS for the past 2 seasons until 2 weeks ago when i bought a can of BH209 . this stuff is so clean ,i love it so far in my triumph.

if you save any powder from season to season try vacuum sealing it to make sure it stays dry til next yr.

Quick Reply: 777 is garbage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.