Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Rings and base for Genesis >

Rings and base for Genesis

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Rings and base for Genesis

Old 12-23-2008, 05:56 AM

Default Rings and base for Genesis

Just ordered and stainless thumbhole Genesis from Cabela's and have not been able to find rings and base mounts for it. Does anyone have any suggestions? This will be my first muzzelloader and ended up getting it for around $100 after all the discounts and rebates. The more I hear about it the more I like it. Right now in the process of doing alot of research about powders, bullets, primers, cleaning.......... man there is alot that goes into these things.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rings and base for Genesis

I use T/C Gorilla Grip mounts and rings. WalMart had them for about $20. They list the genesis on the package.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Traditions part #A1789. This is what I have and they fit great.

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=A1789

Also, what discounts and rebates are you getting that knock $100 off the Cabelas price?
Old 12-23-2008, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

Oman if you can find them the cva universal see thru mount will also work. I have these mounts on mine and they work great. See the picture of mine on this forum page titled me and my Genesis.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Weaver 418S bases and high rings
Old 12-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Welcome to the forum. Its good to have you here. And seasons greetings to you and your family as well as all the other members of the forum...

You picked a good rifle IMO. I have one as well. I used the mounts by Traditions. Be sure to run high rings as the cam has to swing under the back bell of the scope and if you are running a big scope.. well it just will not work.

Yes there are a lot of accessories you need. Traditions also has some of them on sale as well. You need a short starter, loading/cleaning jags, powder measure, cap for the powder jug, breech plug grease (Slick 50 one grease at Wal Mart), maybe some teflon tape, a capper (I like the T/C Dog bone capper) and even a decapper is helpful, then some powder (I would start with Pyrodex RS and work through a pound of that), primers, solvent, gun oil, patches, Windex, a range ramrod is a very nice accessory, and then when you get bullets and sabots.. pay attention to them (if you have no experience with them). Some are different sizes and fit different bullets. The best bet is get some pre packaged like Shockwaves in 200, 250, or 300 grain for now. Or some Hornady XTPs. and shoot them until you have it all figured out. Most important, if you have any questions.. ask. There is no stupid or dumb questions. The dumb questions come after the fact and you need to know how to correct something...

Good luck with your rifle. Its a beauty I am sure.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:10 AM

Thanks for all the helpful insite. As far as price goes: $50 off for using Cabela's visa, $35 mail in rebate, $20 coupon, and $11 in Cabala's points. I almost felt bad. Merry Christmas to all and I'm sure you haven't heard the last of me and my many questions. BTW after reading many reviews I'm leaning toward BH209 powder.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:11 AM
Dominant Buck

The Genesis shoots BlackHorn 209 excellent. I was shooting it with Winchester W209 primers and it did real good.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Oman

Thanks for all the helpful insite. As far as price goes: $50 off for using Cabela's visa, $35 mail in rebate, $20 coupon, and $11 in Cabala's points. I almost felt bad. Merry Christmas to all and I'm sure you haven't heard the last of me and my many questions. BTW after reading many reviews I'm leaning toward BH209 powder.
That's an awesome deal!!! I did the same thing and went with BH209 based on the information I was able to find. It's seems like the best thing going for muzzleloaders right now.