Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Dang I love that movie!!! >

Dang I love that movie!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Dang I love that movie!!!

Old 12-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dang I love that movie!!!

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

HuntAway

I know - I know - i love watching that movie... I even showed it in my American HistoryClasses - even when I switched to Idaho History - it was easy to find a place in the curriculum to show that movie. I think a majority of the 8th grade students even like it. My principal would allow me to bring into the school examples of a Hawkin, Renegade, and Trade Rifle. The kids would break them down put them back together - even load them with a PRB and black corn pepper for the powder. Then I would have them put a piece of leather on the nipple and pull the trigger... both the regular trigger and the set trigger. Then with a CO2 cartridge we would blow the ball out into a blanket on the wall... They had a great time... The school janitor really did not like the corn pepper on the floor though.
YOU are my kind of History teacher!!! I may have taken more interest in that class back in the day if my teachers had been like you!
Old 12-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

ORIGINAL: HuntAway

And every time I watch it I want to get me a Hawkins. It is the movie that got me started in ML. Back then I couldn't afford a Hawkins so by the time I was old enough to buy a rifle I settled on a Renegade. Now, after watching Jeremiah Johnson for the millionth time I just can't hold back. I'm going to order me a .54 cal flintlock Hawkins just as soon as I find one. (I know he used a percussion in the movie but I hate registering guns in Canada.)

Merry Christmas to me!!! and to all of you!!!
I like Forrest Gump!Why,'cause Ithink Forrest'slove for Ginny is a picture portrait/movie of how God loves us, something we can understand. I always ask folks, "DidForrest love Ginny"? And without exception everybody said yes. Well how do ya know he loved her? Was it the first look on the bus, when he was about 10 years old? Was it when he named his boat after her? Was it when he was talking with the woman before he went to her hourse to see little Forrest for the first time and he was talking about his life which was really all about about Ginny and the ups and downs of seeing her again? Was it "I know love Ginny"? No,for me, I knew he had an everlasting love for Ginny, when he was talking to her about running across the USA, and she said looked him in the eye and said to him "I wish I could have been there with you Forrest." His look square in her eyes andhis replywas, "Oh Ginny, you were there every step of the way". She never quite understood the depth of Forrest's love for her, but she eventually turned to him, at the last part of her life (sound familiar?), when she needed comfort, safety and love; and she experienced true love for the first time in her life; and it wasn't about sexual love, it was about everlasting love. I think we are all Ginny's running from God and who we really are; and God is like Forrest who has this everlasting love for us. Now if Forrest had shot a Hawken in Viet Nam, then we would have a new #1 MLer movie! There ya have "Dang I love that movie" (and why).
Merry Christmas, my we all understand God's love for us, just like Ginny did. May the Spirit of Christmas in the person of Christ warm your heart and your love.
In Christ,
Chap
Thanks Chapman. And right back at you!
Old 12-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Dominant Buck

I bought the book CROW KILLER - THE SAGE OF LIVER-EATING JOHNSON by Raymond W. Thorp and Robert Bunker for my collection. Its published by Indiana University Press if anyone is interested. It is an excellent read as DeerandbearHog said. Much more detail then the movie. And he is an interesting character to read about.

There are other stories, Mountain Man by Vardis Fisher which the publisher, Pocket Books claim was the inspiration for the movie. The actual screen play for Mountain Men was written by Frasier C.Heston which is the son of Charleton Heston.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool thing about crow killer is, its actually written in the dialect of the time, its funny how even though it takes place in america and its in english ,its very hard to understand at times, and it is very non "PC" w/ alot of racial slurs, oh how times have changed.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:57 PM
Spike

Sometimes I wonder whichare a moretruthful accountof thing's, the book's or Movies.... I happen to notice looking over"Crow Killer" it list's the book as "Fictional Biography". I know when they make some of these movies today like "TROY" the spend a great deal of time and money researching the History itself and the people of the time.

I also happen to noticeon Amazon.com there are1/2 dozen other books about Mountain men including Jim Bridger. I'm willing to bet the majority of these book'sare pretty accurate in there account of the way things were back then.I think "Jeremiah Johnson" and "Mountain Men" are darn good movies. I don't think you can expect everything in a movie or book to be 100% accurate. They do have to use some "Creative License"orthey wouldbe documentaries,certainly not as entertaining as movies.The actor's can also make or break a movie and they had some great ones in those two flicks.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:10 PM
Banned

the movie Jeremiah Johnson was based off the book *Mountain man* By Vardis Fisher. The movie itself isnt anything like the book. Thats where hollywood stepped in and ruined the story.

Crow killer was an excellent book to read.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:08 AM
Typical Buck

At the risk of sounding like "cliff claven",you guys should get the book "Crow Killer, the saga of liver eating Johnson" It the real life story of "jerimaha Johnson"(real name John johnson) who was ,according the the book was" a far cry from the redford movie character" .

The real story is based on accounts by Del Gue, who trapped w/ Jonhson in the 1850s and 60's and was one of the only real characters that the movie shares w/ the book.

The book and the real jonhson IMO, was much more interesting than the movie, and definatly redford
Therewas no caleb and no hatchet jack and bear claw cris lapp was just another trapper he knew later in life, his teacher was a Mt man named jon hatcher. There was a crazy woman,(probably tougher than jonson!) he did have a 30 cal hawken, and he did have a "sqaw" which was pregnant with his child, and was killed by indians.

In short the real Jonhson killed and scalped indians for their scalps and ate their livers! He was a big man for the period ,about 6'2" and 250lbs .

Ifound it online.Check it out. http://books.google.com/books?id=oqOS_oyd018C&dq=crow+killer&print sec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&sa=X&am p;oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result#PPA8,M 1
[/quote]

Have read the book several times and like DBH says there is a lot of difference between it and the movie, Love em both and the book is a must read!!!!