Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Dang I love that movie!!! >

Dang I love that movie!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Dang I love that movie!!!

Old 12-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Dang I love that movie!!!

I just wish all these films were more historically accurate, seems that Hollywood has to make up stories rather than properly tell it as is was...
Old 12-21-2008, 07:54 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: fastflight1

I would also have to agree both great movies. If I had to choose one over the otherit would have to be "Mountain Men" with Charletan Heston and Brian Keith. I can't think of seeing much of Brian Kieth after that movie. I know he was in many Disney productions years ago.

I can't remember any one liners from "Mountain Men" but several still stick in my head from "Jeremiah Johnson" starring Will Geer & Robert Redford.
One of my favorite lines from Mountain Men is where they are talking about how to get to the Rendezvous and they ask Brian Keith (Henry Frapp) if he's ever been lost.. and he answers (I think it goes)"Ive been a might confused for a month or two, but never been lost."

I have to admit though.. I have Mountain Men on VHS and have about worn the tape out.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntAway

And every time I watch it I want to get me a Hawkins. It is the movie that got me started in ML. Back then I couldn't afford a Hawkins so by the time I was old enough to buy a rifle I settled on a Renegade. Now, after watching Jeremiah Johnson for the millionth time I just can't hold back. I'm going to order me a .54 cal flintlock Hawkins just as soon as I find one. (I know he used a percussion in the movie but I hate registering guns in Canada.)

Merry Christmas to me!!! and to all of you!!!
I like Forrest Gump!Why,'cause Ithink Forrest'slove for Ginny is a picture portrait/movie of how God loves us, something we can understand. I always ask folks, "DidForrest love Ginny"? And without exception everybody said yes. Well how do ya know he loved her? Was it the first look on the bus, when he was about 10 years old? Was it when he named his boat after her? Was it when he was talking with the woman before he went to her hourse to see little Forrest for the first time and he was talking about his life which was really all about about Ginny and the ups and downs of seeing her again? Was it "I know love Ginny"? No,for me, I knew he had an everlasting love for Ginny, when he was talking to her about running across the USA, and she said looked him in the eye and said to him "I wish I could have been there with you Forrest." His look square in her eyes andhis replywas, "Oh Ginny, you were there every step of the way". She never quite understood the depth of Forrest's love for her, but she eventually turned to him, at the last part of her life (sound familiar?), when she needed comfort, safety and love; and she experienced true love for the first time in her life; and it wasn't about sexual love, it was about everlasting love. I think we are all Ginny's running from God and who we really are; and God is like Forrest who has this everlasting love for us. Now if Forrest had shot a Hawken in Viet Nam, then we would have a new #1 MLer movie! There ya have "Dang I love that movie" (and why).
Merry Christmas, my we all understand God's love for us, just like Ginny did. May the Spirit of Christmas in the person of Christ warm your heart and your love.
In Christ,
Chap
Old 12-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Spike

Although "Forrest Gump"wasn't exactly a Mountain Man Movie it certainly has many qualities that appealed to a great number of people, some of which Chap mentioned. That's probably why it was one of the highest grossing films of all time.

Besides what Chap mentioned,I think the movie "Forest Gump" had a certainindearing quality or lesson about it. I think it showed no matter how "dumb"(to quote the movie)ignorant orintellectually challanged a personmight be theycan still be successfulin this United States of America if you at least get out there and try.I know it's getting harder & harder but we have tobelieve thisand that"FREEDOM" isparamount other wise Forrest wouldn't of had a chance.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

How we wander. Start off with Jeremiah - naturally drift to Mountain Men - then Mohegans (reasonable enough) - then the Patriot (drifting, drifting) - to Forest Gump?? (love it - my misquote is "Life is like a box of chocolates, it's going to run out before you know it") - to, what's next? How about Quest For Fire?

Old 12-21-2008, 10:31 PM
Typical Buck

Dang, I must be too young as I've never heard of Mountain Men and Jeremiah Johnson. Guess I have some homework to do.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Oh you poor, poor soul Gotbuck. Get yourself to Blockbuster PRONTO. You're in for a treat.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:03 AM
Fork Horn

I watched it also its a great movie the guy buried up to his neck reminds me of another movie that was on AMC Friday night MOTEL HELL they buried there victims that way and slit there voiceboxes so they couldnt talk
Old 12-22-2008, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane

How we wander. Start off with Jeremiah - naturally drift to Mountain Men - then Mohegans (reasonable enough) - then the Patriot (drifting, drifting) - to Forest Gump?? (love it - my misquote is "Life is like a box of chocolates, it's going to run out before you know it") - to, what's next? How about Quest For Fire?
The Thread was "Dang I love that Movie" in the subject line, so we gotta follow the blood trail! Your wife said it best--your Semisane, and we are not that far from you in our passions. Some exceed you, but only True Confessions will say who that might be.Chap

Old 12-22-2008, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fastflight1

I forgot about that scene in "Jeremiah Johnson" where the Mountain Man of French decent (if memory serves me correct) was burried up to his head by the Indians with feathers under his nose!

"I have a fine horse under me" I think he went on to say.

I can't recall exactly whatanswer he gaveJeremiah when asked why he shaved all his hair off?
He shaved his head to keep from being scalped. Later he grew it cause he said he wanted to b remembered, at least on someones lodge pole.

At the risk of sounding like "cliff claven",you guys should get the book "Crow Killer, the saga of liver eating Johnson" It the real life story of "jerimaha Johnson"(real name John johnson) who was ,according the the book was" a far cry from the redford movie character" .

The real story is based on accounts by Del Gue, who trapped w/ Jonhson in the 1850s and 60's and was one of the only real characters that the movie shares w/ the book.

The book and the real jonhson IMO, was much more interesting than the movie, and definatly redford
Therewas no caleb and no hatchet jack and bear claw cris lapp was just another trapper he knew later in life, his teacher was a Mt man named jon hatcher. There was a crazy woman,(probably tougher than jonson!) he did have a 30 cal hawken, and he did have a "sqaw" which was pregnant with his child, and was killed by indians.

In short the real Jonhson killed and scalped indians for their scalps and ate their livers! He was a big man for the period ,about 6'2" and 250lbs .

Ifound it online.Check it out. http://books.google.com/books?id=oqO...result#PPA8,M1

Quick Reply: Dang I love that movie!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.