Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Any Luck Yet During PA's Late Flintlock Season? >

Any Luck Yet During PA's Late Flintlock Season?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Any Luck Yet During PA's Late Flintlock Season?

Old 01-05-2009, 10:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 5 Day's Left Until PA Flintlock Season Opens

ORIGINAL: fastflight1

Anyone have any luck yet in PA's late Flintlock season?
here in clinton county,only ones i heard got deer is MATT over in keating area.

locals are wore out and the roads are one nasty mother.

you cant walk at all alone in woods.

deer that are seen are at full speed when they come by you.

i cant believe hunters are shooting at running deer with a flintlock,i had a crew tell me that 1 guy missed 6 doe in 2 weeks RUNNING by him.

some hunters are making my stomach sick these days, for sure.[:@]
Old 01-05-2009, 11:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

WMU 2B 1/2/09

50cal TC hawken and a round ball.....

would like to get 1 more before the end of the season....had alot of chances but havent had a good shot since....
Old 01-06-2009, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got to hunt flint in pA for 2 days after Christmas. I learned about dampness and my Fl. I shoot (1st year flinting) a Lyman Deer stalker 1/48 twist. I started on the 250 grain cheap shots w/ supplied sabot over 80 grains of Goex3. I could immediately shoot 100 yards inside the ring of a paper palte/ Accurate and all lead. I now have some tricks to try to keep moistuire at bay thanks to Cayugad. I saw about 40 deer, no bucks. My friends who live in pA where i hunt have seen no large horned deer and we definitly did not do well on bucks in 2D. I am switching my time off to the week after Christmas to hunt Flint instead of the first week of biuck gun season in 2009. I liked this that much. I will also be trying out heavy conicals as well as the 300 grain gold dot in my flinter.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats Mauser98. That is a nice doe. Good picture too. I see whoever taught you how to handle a firearm did a good job. Frizzen up, hammer down, and fingers off the triggers and muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx bronko!

yep, dad hammered firearm saftey into my head at a young age...makes my cringe when i look at pics and guys got guns laying on deer pointed at them....i dont care if the action is open or not...and my finger isnt inside the trigger guard unless im squeezing...just was taught at a real young age about firearm saftey...

got the next 3 days to hunt for another......or 2 dont see myself taking 2 more...but maybe 1 more...im about the only shooter of the crew left and im only a shooter because i can eat venison all year if i have it...me and a few buddies will hunt the next few days....great time to scout and practice our pushes for next season....exspecially with the fresh snow!!! been out a few times since 1/2/09...been seeing deer, just no shooting for me...
Old 01-07-2009, 11:56 PM
Spike

Nice pic mauser!

It's been tough going in NW Pa so far with all the high wind, sleet, ice storms, etc. Looks like the next 3 day'sshould bringexcellant conditions with fresh snow and temps in the high 20's.

I'm still looking for my first Flintlock kill. Maybe I will lower my expectations a bit, lol. Kinda like the song "the women all look prettier around closing time" or something like that.

Anyway, TheMoon Phase looks good the next several day's with themoonRISINGat approximately 1:30pm tomorrow, 2:30pm Friday and 4:00pm Saturday, thelast day of the season. I do notice sometimes when the moon rises in the afternoon it can spur some deer movement.

Everone keepyour power dry, nose into the wind and make that one shot count!

Fastflight
Old 01-08-2009, 12:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well I hunted for 9 days. Saw a grand total of 1 deer. Too far for a clean shot in the woods. The ice storm yesterday really will screw things up. I still hunt and there is no way I can get close to a deer in this mess. I fired off my rifle on Monday and cleaned it. Washed my hunting clothes and put them away. But my muzzys stay out and get shot all year long.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

put down doe #2 for the season this afternoon...i'll be posting pics and story in a bit...gotta eat and clean the ole rock lock first...
Old 01-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Spike

Well what's the scoop?

Has anyone gotten any meat for the freezer besides Mauser?
Old 01-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

I went out today (01/10/09) and fell about 4 times, real hard. There was solid ice underneath 2" of snow, so it made walking real treacherous. I decided to shoot a dead tree and call it a day. I made more noise walking so it was pretty pointless but I at least hit the tree.

Quick Reply: Any Luck Yet During PA's Late Flintlock Season?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.