Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Any Luck Yet During PA's Late Flintlock Season? >

Any Luck Yet During PA's Late Flintlock Season?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Any Luck Yet During PA's Late Flintlock Season?

Old 12-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 5 Day's Left Until PA Flintlock Season Opens

I hope your able to post some pics Matt after the season. That was some buck you got during Archery season last year. My hat goes off to you. What did he score out at? I would really love the opportunity to get a shot at a mature buck during the late primitive season here in PA. It's just something I have yet to experience in my life. It's been a couple years now since I harvested a nice buck. I guess after you put anice whitetail on the wall it does makes you raise the bar some.
Thanks!
He taped out at 149 5/8" gross as a typical 13pt , if he hadn't broken his left G2 he'd gross around 155".
That's gonna be tough to beat with ANY weapon here I would think. [:-]
Old 12-21-2008, 10:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

if your hunting solo, still hunting on quiet days can be a great tactic...fresh soft snow or wet leaves...im not good at it so i wont try to give advice on it...just know its a great way to see deer when deer arent moving a whole lot...

our late season is rough to hunt...cold, deer herded up, and after the pressure of all the fall seasons and rifle season, alot of deer just dont move or are in hard to reach places...food sources and "deer yards" can be a hotspot...but finding the hot food source can be a challenge because deer are usually grouped up and moving from food source to food source....if your hunting an area that hasnt been really highly pressured, you may be in luck and catch them moving...i know in my area after all the fall seasons and rifle seasons, our deer are close to houses or holed up in the thickest stuff around still...not moving much at all in the daylight...though this cold weather does help...they burn alot of calories just staying alive in the cold...they gotta eat...

winter wheat and corn fields can be great places for deer to feed this time of year...the lack of acorns make big woods hunting TOUGH..even in the fall it was ROUGH. late season, i dont know what big woods deer will find to eat...probably browse and greens...which means they are most likely going to be wandering....
Old 12-22-2008, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am hunitng in northern 2d and this will be my first year flintlock hunitng. I will be standing over a deer yard and then stalking as IO am alone on this hunt. I am stoked and hope I have some snow down. We had a very low buck and doe kill. NO pressure on thenm so I'm thinking they will be back in their patterns. I will also be spending Christmas at my hunting camp w/ the family. We are cutting a tree off the mountain strining cranberry's and popcorn in front of a roaring fire. Beautiful scenery and fun.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Spike

Matt,

I'm about in the same situation witha very heavy Non-Typical on the wall. Very difficult to top in these parts no doubt about it. Oh well, like I said, Iwould love the opportunity at a nice buck in the late season it would be a first. They say if your going to dream then dream big right!I guess you never know unless you try.

Mauser & Buckhunter,

Thank's for the insite and tips! I appreciateyour input and also look forward to getting out for the lastdeer huntingseason of the year.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Spike

Here's a pic of my largest Whitetail to date.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: fastflight1

Thanks for the tip on the FL book!

I also wanted to thank those individuals on here that have helped out over the last couple years get me to the point where I feel confident in the accuracy of my weapon (TC .50 caliber Firestorm). It's not easy with the 1/48" twist barrel finding the right combination of Black Powder andBullet type and weight.
very easy,use 80 GRS OF 2F WITH A 370 MAXI-BALL.

stay away from the MAXI-HUNTERS.

1-48 twist will clover leaf this bullet at 50 yds easy.

great bullet for deer under 100 yds in a flintlock for deer.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

in WMU2G,you should pass on doe.

remember, every doe you kill, you are killing next years fawns.

i hunt only buck in clinton county in muzzleoder season.

it is hard but every now and then, one will show up.

weather is too cold most of time to sit in treestand ,so i just go to spot and STAND for 1 hr and stand at another spot for hr or so, then go home.

come back out like 1 hr before dark and stand in spot again.

deer do not move much.

find a crew that is driving and your odds will go up,that is what most do, they know where crews drive deer ,then they go there and sit for awhile.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

ORIGINAL: fastflight1

Thanks for the tip on the FL book!

I also wanted to thank those individuals on here that have helped out over the last couple years get me to the point where I feel confident in the accuracy of my weapon (TC .50 caliber Firestorm). It's not easy with the 1/48" twist barrel finding the right combination of Black Powder andBullet type and weight.
What are you using in it? I switched out a 1:48 barrel cause it was a comprimise twist, my brother with his 1:66 or 1:70 can hit a pop can top at 50 yards with PRB, I couln't do that with either sabots or PRB, however now that PA allows sabots I switch barrels and can shoot sabots accurately.
Chap
my hawkins .50 cal ,1-48 can hit pop cans all day with rb at that range easy.

best bullet for 1-48 is the 370 MAXI-BALL for deer..

powerbelt 295/348 works good too.

.490 rb shooting 50 grs to 70 grs,.018 pillowtick,with button on powderis just great for plinking and very accurate.

i use 2f with all my loads, some use 3 f.

best roundball guy i know uses 90 grains of 3 f in his .50 cal hawkins for deer and he said its deadly on deer and groups great.

me i like 80 grs of 2f under a button and a 295 powerbelt for deer.

rb, i like below 70 for target and 80 for deer but dont use rb for deer anymore.

i can cut holes at 50 yds with roundball out of a 1-48 twist.

lower charges are secret to getting good groups with rb in 1-48 twist.

also, cleaning after shots help but using bore butter in summer, no need to clean ,only after 3 shots or so but bore butter freezes in winter.

i use hoppes bp for my patchs/cleaning barrel in winter, it is about best i have used in cold.

bore butter is awful in cold, i dont use it but GREAT in summer for target shooting.

thats why i went to powerbelt in winter for deer, no mess or freezing.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mauser06

if your hunting solo, still hunting on quiet days can be a great tactic...fresh soft snow or wet leaves...im not good at it so i wont try to give advice on it...just know its a great way to see deer when deer arent moving a whole lot...

our late season is rough to hunt...cold, deer herded up, and after the pressure of all the fall seasons and rifle season, alot of deer just dont move or are in hard to reach places...food sources and "deer yards" can be a hotspot...but finding the hot food source can be a challenge because deer are usually grouped up and moving from food source to food source....if your hunting an area that hasnt been really highly pressured, you may be in luck and catch them moving...i know in my area after all the fall seasons and rifle seasons, our deer are close to houses or holed up in the thickest stuff around still...not moving much at all in the daylight...though this cold weather does help...they burn alot of calories just staying alive in the cold...they gotta eat...

winter wheat and corn fields can be great places for deer to feed this time of year...the lack of acorns make big woods hunting TOUGH..even in the fall it was ROUGH. late season, i dont know what big woods deer will find to eat...probably browse and greens...which means they are most likely going to be wandering....
about only way to hunt in late season here in WMU2G,is with CREWS.

47 YEARS AT IT AND IF NO ONE IS PUSHING DEER ,THEY ARE NOT GOING TO MOVE.

we had cameras out last week, in areas that had a few deer left, here is times they are moving,6PM TO GO EAT AND 4 AM BACK TO BED..

Old 01-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Spike

Anyone have any luck yet in PA's late Flintlock season?

Quick Reply: Any Luck Yet During PA's Late Flintlock Season?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.