Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Just a Reminder

Old 12-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Just a Reminder

Now that hunting season is over for many of us, lets remember not to leave a rifle loaded or uncleaned. Anything that is more depressing is to remember months later and also discover some nasty developments in with with rifle. So if you're done and you have not prepared that rifle for storage... well it is your rifle.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Just a Reminder

Im not done hunting yet
Old 12-19-2008, 11:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have a 3 days christmas hunt that starts friday morning. Then nothing left but bow hunting till feb 28th.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:05 PM

tomorrow is last day for muzzleloading in Indiana then its back to the bow until Jan 4.

Good reminder Dave! I had to help a young man drill out his breech plug with a lath no less. I didn't ask but imagine it had been put away dirty.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:32 PM
Typical Buck

Just cleaned mine today. Was loaded but not dirty.After I shoot during the season I clean and reload then wipe the bore lightly with Rem Oil. I also tie a strip of orange surveyors tape on the trigger guard to signify a loaded rifle.That way I never forget.

Charlie
Old 12-20-2008, 05:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

My Encore is cleaned, oiled and put away inthe safe. Yesterday i fired myCVA Staghorn to check the zero because of a bad shot i made onmy last deer:The gun shot great.That gun was cleaned and oiled today.

The CVA Mag. Hunter remains loaded with 140 grains of Pinnacle and the excellent 300 grain .430 XTP for hog hunting.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Poor Dave - Done hunting for the year. Too bad - our PA flint lock season starts Dec 26 and runs to almost the end of Jan.
Well have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:04 PM
Spike

Sounds like some good advice to me!
Old 12-20-2008, 11:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

good reminder cayugad!! all too often to leave the rifle in the garage or wood shed or wherever loaded and forgotten about because you thought you would get to hunt a little longer....or you got er dirty and got home after the hunt and took care of the game and got caught up with that and forgot to clean the rifle etc etc.....

the PA rocklock season dont start till the day after Christmas...im pumped!! lookin for #2 with the ole rocklock!
Old 12-21-2008, 05:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

good reminder cayugad!!

+1
My former neighbors and hunting partners keft their muzzleloaders uncleaned for nearly a year.The Knight disc cleaned upok after we got the breech plug out. Thebore of the Traditions was pretty much a basket case.

Quick Reply: Just a Reminder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.