Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bore cleaner

Old 12-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bore cleaner

Easiest way to clean the breechplug is to spray it with Windex with vinegar (the clear Windex) and brush it all the crud away with a toothbrush. Clean the hole under the primer with pipe cleaners and/or a hand turned drill bit. Takes all of 2-3 minutes.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

vvvaaa
We were warned not to use water but that we should use regular smokeless powder solvents by Western when they published the first info on Blackhorn 209.
Yes it is rubbing alcohol but watch the percentage it is best to keep it above 90 because the rest is water and may leave moisture if the percentage is to low.
Breach plug, I use the same mixture on the breach plug I just put some on a rage and wipe it off but you do need to clean the carbon out from between the 209 seat and the touch hole, a drill is the best way, I just have a 10 dollar flash light battery drive screwdriver from Walmart that comes with a 1/8 inch drill and tt only takes a second that way. Lee
Old 12-20-2008, 03:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

vvvaaa

For BH cleaning stick with the regular smokeless products... the only place they might fail you is with the breech plug... BH cruds them up very well with a very hard substance.. That is why most have gone to turning a drill bit on the insideof the BP to remove this residue.

These Montana Xtreme products are very good...

http://montanaxtreme.com/
Old 12-20-2008, 03:48 PM

Hot water bath then Butch's Bore Shine. Once its patched clean, Birchwood Casey lube and put it to bed.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

vvvaaa

If the question orinally posted remains.

Has there been anyone to use BH 209 long enough to know the best bore cleaner?
I really do not think you want to use any water when cleaning BH-209. It is a smokeless progressive burning powder is not a normal black Powder sub -

CLEANING

[/align]

[/align]Triple Seven fouling has been relatively easy to get out of the bore, using nothing more than water. In fact, on one management doe hunt, I cleaned my rifle every evening with just saliva-dampened patches. And on that hunt, I took 11 does in 5 days. However, like quite a few shooters, I have never been all that crazy about cleaning the bore of a tack-driving rifle with water or water-based soapy solutions.

[/align]

[/align]Truth is, you do not want to use water or water-based soapy solution to clean out what little Blackhorn 209 fouling that's left in the bore. It tends to turn the fouling to a sticky surface in the bore. Instead, to clean away this fouling, it takes just one or two patches dampened with a modern bore solvent, such as good ol' Hoppe's No. 9. (Western Powders has also developed one of its "Montana Extreme" cleaning solvents expressly for Blackhorn 209.) With Triple Seven powder, some shooters (including your's truly) have experienced difficulties getting stuck breech plugs out of rifles. Thanks to the non-building tendencies of Blackhorn 209 fouling, with just a light coat of grease type lubricant on the threads of a breech plug, that problem could be a thing of the past.

[/align]

[/align]Both powders are non-corrosive. However, Hodgdon Powder Company warns that Triple Seven fouling does tend to draw moisture if left in the bore or on other metal surfaces for any length of time. During my testing last fall, I hunted several months with the same rifle and Blackhorn 209, not cleaning the rifle once - even though the muzzleloader was fired a hundred or more times during that period. When I did tear it down for cleaning, the breech plug came right out...and the bore was wiped spotless with two modern solvent dampened patches. In short, the rifle cleaned up in basically the same time it takes to clean the same rifle after a single afternoon at the range.

[/align]
Old 12-21-2008, 01:24 AM
Spike

Is there any difference betweenthe Hoppe's #9 and Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber 2-1?
Old 12-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TNHagies

I've used Hoppes #9 and plain ol' rubbin' alcohol. Both work equally well for me.

Same here. SJSFIRE
Old 12-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Spike

Has anyone used both?
Old 12-21-2008, 06:07 PM

birchwood casey scrubber and then their lubricant for me. I also like butche's bore shine for shorter term.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:53 PM
Spike

Thanks oldrookie, man sometimes its like pulling teeth

Quick Reply: Bore cleaner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.