Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

bullet size

Old 12-15-2008, 10:45 AM
Banned

Default RE: bullet size

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

ORIGINAL: MountainDevil54

i can disagree with the sabertooths being better. Especially with a short yardage shot.
Tell us your wisdom. My brother is using these with 150g of Pryrdex in an Encore. He has had good luck with them, but he is shooting where the neck joins the body shots with them for close shots.
Give us your opinion, do they fragement? Not penetrate?
Chap
You've seen the pics of the 250gr sabertooths ive tested. But i guess as usual i will have to load them again to refreshen memories
Old 12-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

Been there done that except with 295g PB and 150g of 777 pellets. I came to this forum several years agoasking the same questions, in my opinion the PB fragmented and didn't penetrate the vitals on the 2nd shot. I then switched to 300g Nosler Partitions with 100g of loose 777 and a crushed rib sabot. Now I shoot a 300g Barnes MZ in my Omega. PB are fine for 1200-1400 fps "bow shots", however if you shooting faster than thosespeedsOR shooting into bone on the shoulder then the PB may not penetrate into thevital,therefore not killing the deer and not providing good blood trails. I loveBarnes MZ, Nosler Patitions, Speer Gold Dots, Barnes Origonalare excellent tough bullets.
Chap
What kind of accuracy are you getting with those hollowpoints at 200 yards?
Please see here:

For my Savage: http://www.the-gleasons.com/this_is_my_savage_10_ml_page.htm

Form my Omega and Knight Disc:
http://www.the-gleasons.com/bullets_penetration_tests_for_mu.htm

Chap

Old 12-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

You've seen the pics of the 250gr sabertooths ive tested. But i guess as usual i will have to load them again to refreshen memories
Ya know I don't remember seeing them, but I am very interested in seeing your testing. Chap
Old 12-15-2008, 06:20 PM
Banned

Ya know I don't remember seeing them, but I am very interested in seeing your testing. Chap
Sure ya have! You just don't know the member behind this name. Made it for that nasty .54 mountain rifle i have, I came up with the name as it was a devil to get that elk off the mountain

80gr pyrodex rs @ 20,58 and 100 yards.
Top left is the single 20 yard shot, Next 2 were 58 yards and the one that expanded to the size of a dime "if that" was 100 yards.
250gr sabertooth * All of the plastic skirts stayed connected to the bullets, even the 100 yard bullet"

Still have these bullets in my *To melt* Box

Old 12-15-2008, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sure ya have! You just don't know the member behind this name. Made it for that nasty .54 mountain rifle i have, I came up with the name as it was a devil to get that elk off the mountain

80gr pyrodex rs @ 20,58 and 100 yards.
Top left is the single 20 yard shot, Next 2 were 58 yards and the one that expanded to the size of a dime "if that" was 100 yards.
250gr sabertooth * All of the plastic skirts stayed connected to the bullets, even the 100 yard bullet"

Still have these bullets in my *To melt* Box
The 250s look a bit too pancaked for me. I am a believer in "long shanks with mushroom heads", like Craig Boddington says about them "thing of beauty". Thanks. Do you have any 300g shots?Chap
Old 12-15-2008, 07:08 PM
Banned

nope i havent used the sabertooths since 2005? Thats when it fell out of my barrel on opening day Good thing i didnt shoot anything because i was loaded with 150gr loose pyrodex RS.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:06 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the first deer. I have to agree with MountainDevil54on the second. This sounds like a shot that may have hit just a bit high and touched the spine. I had a buddy who shot a deer a couple years ago that did the same thing.He was able to get a good second shot and finished the animal.

I have shot the 245gr PB Aerotip over 2 pellets of 777 with great success. I have heard the horror stories, but never experienced them myself in my guns.Some theories in self defenseapply here.Many self defense experts do not recommend 9mm's as most loads are so fast they go right through the target without causing major stopping power. Heavy bullets of certain types can help this problem. A heavier bullet will hit harder, but at what expense. As you said you are extremely accurate with the 223gr. I guess question to be asked is did the bullet fail or did you not hit the animal exactly where you want to. IMHO, we cancritique bullets all day, but first we should make sure they hit the boiler room.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

So why do you want to shoot a Powerbelt? Why restrict yourself to certain distances and velocities? I thought I liked Powerbelts too, until I shot deer with them. Those Sabertooths do not impress me, they seem to open into too many different shapes.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:49 AM
Fork Horn

thanks for all the replies. I have always been happy with the powerbelts. It's just with the lack of blood i had on both animals friday i guess i was just second guessing my choice. It just got me thinking, maybe a little to much. But this spring and summer i will be trying some heavier bullet weights at the range to gain some more info.