Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shock wave

Old 12-24-2008, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shock wave

I have to agree with bronko punch through both lungs and your deer will be found within a 100 yards from my experience. Even with a bow a double lung shot, that deer will be dead in 10 seconds. I know that can run a ways during that time, but they are normally found within a 100. Thats my choice shot. Right behind the shoulder through both lungs= dead deer.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

I used the non-bonded yellow tipped Shockwaves in 250 grains. At 186 yards they performed great penetrating behind the bucks shoulder and exiting in front of the other shoulder. The buck dropped in his tracks. I was using 150 gr of 777. Seems to be a lot of variances in the perfomance of them........
Old 12-29-2008, 08:25 AM

Got my first muzzleloader kill and shockwave deer this weekend, results were similar to what others have reported. Deer was a shed antlered buck (thought it was a large doe) ~165 lbs., shot was broadside with deer at a fast trot - 35 yds. from a treestand. Load was 110 gr. 777 2F and a 200 gr. shockwave. Bullet entered low and directly behind the shoulder, at the shot, deer mule kicked and took off. Watched it run up the ridge and fall over dead roughly 100 yards away. Went to the site of the hit and only found two tufts of hair/fat, no blood. Followed the track uphill and found one spot of blood 50 yards from the site of the shot, then another two drops five yards further ahead- great bloodtrail (though un-needed) from that point to the deer. Upon inspection and field dressing, the heart was completely gone and chest cavity completely full of blood. Entrance hole appeared to be the size of a quarter, exit about the same. Had this deer been in heavy cover and there been no snow on the ground, tracking may have been challenging.

These bullets are very accurate from my CVA Kodiak, though sighting in took about 15 rounds to get my scope dialed in. They shoot so much flatter than anything I have tried before! I expected longer shots from this stand as it overlooks a corn field and some CRP ground, thus the hotter long range bullet/load. Definitely was overkill for this deer. I will continue to use these bullets. May work up a load for the 250 grain Gold Dots that everyone is raving about for closer ranges.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Zugunruhe
May work up a load for the 250 grain Gold Dots that everyone is raving about for closer ranges.
Congratulations on your first ML deer, it is exciting isn't it. I shot my first with a KNight all lead 240g saboted bullet, and it fell right over like the old guy riding a trike with a black coat on Rowan and Marin's laugh-in. Slow motion just tipped over. I had never had that happen to a deer before. When I saw the hole in and on the off sideI knew why. Big wide deer holes with expanded big bullets kill very effectively and very fast. I was amazed.

You may want to take a look atthese bullets also:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=330121

I think you will find them excellent, for Terminal Performane for close shots (<150 yards with 3" high at 100). They worked great in my Savage with a Crushed Rib sabot. I just ordered my 2nd box, but have not taken game with them yet, since only have 1 scope and need to keep that adjusted with my current hunting load. 45/70 bullets are the ticket in these 50 cal MLers, not the pistol bullets, the Gold Dots can handle the heat. The 45/70 are in the same velocity range as the MLers therefore great performance. Please see these reviews:

Average Customer Rating:

[/align]
[/align]Robert Riedel of Saucier, MS
[/align]Date Posted: 12/8/2008
[/align]Tried these and several other bullets in my new #1 sporter Shiloh Sharps. Groups were very tight with several holes touching at 100 yards. All bullets seem to shoot to the same point of impact with this gun but these bullets were very close groups. With RL-7, starline brass, CCI 200 large rifle primers and these bullets I took my first whitetail. It was a doe but I was in shock when the deer crumpled like I hit it in the head with a 10lb sledge hammer. Exit hole looked so bad I thought I was going to be sick and I have killed my share of deer. Definitely will load more of these. Case head expansion 3/16" above the rim was .501 so I would increase load but seated to the top cannelure it is a compressed load. Love this bullet!!!!
[/align]
Was this review helpful? Yes| No
0 found it helpful | 0 did not
[/align][/align][/align]
[/align]Greg Lane of Bakersfield, CA
[/align]Date Posted: 2/7/2005
[/align]I have found this to be an excellent bullet in my Guide Gun. It is accurate(clover leaf groups at 100 yards), relatively flat shooting for the practical hunting ranges used. It penetrates and expands perfectly, retaining almost all of its weight. I shot a 6 foot Black bear in the chest, bullet was just under the hide on the back leg. A real preformer for the 45/70.
[/align]
Was this review helpful? Yes| No
135 found it helpful | 7 did not
[/align][/align][/align]
[/align]Scott Childress of Dallas, TX
[/align]Date Posted: 12/22/2003
[/align]This is the equivalent of installing Twin Turbochargers on a Corvette!! They are not flat nose but rather Extreme Hollow Points with a "flat nose" shape that makes them safe for use in a tubular magazine. It defines "KNOCK DOWN" power!! Highly recommend using a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Especially when reloading this cartridge, due to the recoil generated when approaching MAX LOADS. The last deer I shot, in the shoulder, actually flipped in the air before coming to its final rest a hundred or so yards away!! ---NOT FOR THE MEEK!!!
[/align]
You don't have to load them hot, 100g of BH or 777 is plenty for excellent performance. Chap

Old 12-29-2008, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

G.C,
Rowan & Martin????...I guess your not a generation X dude, huh?

Bullet looks interesting. Barnes make something similar to stuff down a 45 cal gun?
Old 12-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Old/New

G.C,
Rowan & Martin????...I guess your not a generation X dude, huh?

Bullet looks interesting. Barnes make something similar to stuff down a 45 cal gun?
No, not an X due. As for 45 cal MLer, they make the MZ, which is the exact same thing except in the
.400 diameter:

http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/muzzleloader/expander-mz/

You won't get the knock down power of the 300g with the 200 however, but they are the closest thing. They come with a sabot, since they are made for MLing.
Chap

Old 12-29-2008, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

The two deer I got with the 250g yellow tip shockwave were shot at under 50 yards. Neither time did the bullet expand much, it just punched right on through. Blood trails were fair, as in I could follow them but it wasn't easy. I can see how people would have a hard time with these bullets.

I may stick with them just because folks say they do well at longer ranges, and there's a very good chance that I could get a longer shot on my property. Plus, they shoot great out of my Omega.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wiggy

The two deer I got with the 250g yellow tip shockwave were shot at under 50 yards. Neither time did the bullet expand much, it just punched right on through. Blood trails were fair, as in I could follow them but it wasn't easy. I can see how people would have a hard time with these bullets.

I may stick with them just because folks say they do well at longer ranges, and there's a very good chance that I could get a longer shot on my property. Plus, they shoot great out of my Omega.
Matterof time before you loose the "big one" or have an "all nighter" following a blood trail with a big lantern, they are one accurate bullet, I shot this the firsttime I ever shot the SW out of my Savage:

Now with accuracy like that I was tempted to use them, however accuracy is NOT the whole game.
You need Penetration, Expansion and Shoot thru with little or no weight loss to have a good bullet.
I would use them for strictly long range shooting, but not for hunting that I do, mostly under 100 yards. Mostly thick stuff.

I am NOT saying that SW or SSTs are bad bullets, they are excellent bulletfor theirdesignedlong range shooting, if ya gotta take close shot--high shoulder does the trick to expand the bullet and puts the deer down right there.
Chap
Old 04-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Spike

Yep long rangesw's are good but 100yrds and closer no way!!!! Barnes expanders are a good bullet for up close ranges and for those 200yrd plus shots too.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

I have found my SWs in the dirt bullet catcher at 100yds and some are not even dented. You would think that at 1500fps or so they would open up when they hit solid dirt. They were all about 3-4 inches in the dirt. I could reshoot them they were is such good shape. A bit dirty but, 100 % in tact. My range day is Monday and I am NOT going to forget my ammo bagthis time. I have three medias I am going to shoot into @ 100yds. Box of wet sand, box of dry phone books and a box of wet news papers. All will have a milk jug full of water in frint of them. I have a new digital camera so I will post pics of my results. I will be shooting SWs, SSts, Barnes TMZs and a few other bullets. My Omega loves 100gr of T7 FFg and a T/C 250 grain SW. I just dont know if I can really trust it. I would love to shoot some Yotes, they would be a decent tester but I live in town so......my 10 pump Crossman pellet gun is as much enjoyment as I cant get at home.

Quick Reply: Shock wave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.