Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 50 Cal 270 Grain MAXI BALL-ET >

50 Cal 270 Grain MAXI BALL-ET

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

50 Cal 270 Grain MAXI BALL-ET

Old 12-10-2008, 06:51 AM
Spike

Default 50 Cal 270 Grain MAXI BALL-ET

Does anyone use the Buffalo Bullet Company's 270 grain Maxi Ball-et conical for deer hunting? If so,do you use Black Powder? What do you find works better 2F or 3F? How many grains?

I switched over from Roundball's to these projectiles and have been pretty happy with them. I do not do a lot of shooting though. I have found my best accuracy comes with using 65 grains of BP with a 50/50 mix of 2F & 3F down the barrel and 3F in the pan. This would be in a 50 Caliber Thompson Firestorm.

For accuracy I get about a 3 inch group at 50 yard's and it opens up to about 8 inches at 100 yard's. That's having the gun stabalized against something of course not free hand!

Old 12-10-2008, 06:55 AM
Spike

Default RE: 50 Cal 270 Grain MAXI BALL-ET

I forgot to ask if anyone has ever used Prelubed Felt Wad's down the barrel in back of these projectiles? I have some from RMC (Rightnour Mfg Company) but not sure if they are made to use with these type of conicals or not???
Old 12-10-2008, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot one deer, years ago, with this bullet. It was my first deer ever shot with a ML I think I used 85gr of Pyrodex. The slug basically punched through and did not do a ton of damage outside the actual channel of the bullet. I did not use a wad or anything but they were messy.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll admit that I know nothing about the T/C Firestorm, but since you mention 3f in the pan, I gather it is a flintlock.

You say you don't shoot much, but best accuracy is obtained with a 50/50 mix of 2f and 3f? Sounds like you must have done some testing. I am not a flintlock guy, so don't know if this is a common practice or not. I suspect it is not, and I really can't see the benefit. I also think you should be able to get better accuracy than 3" at 50 yds with some projectile.

What is the twist rate? That will tell you what projectiles "should" shoot best in the gun. If your twist is a roundball twist like in the 1:60 range, shoot roundballs. I'm confidentthat T/C will shoot some combination of patch and ball better than those ballets are shooting, and I'll bet you can use more than 60 gr of either 2f or 3f (but not a mixture). Based only on whatI have heard, I'd suggest priming with 4f and 3f for the charge. If 2f works you could use that too.

Others can be of more help regarding an exact load or patch/ball combo.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

T/C's website indicates 1:48 rifling for conicals and round balls. Also, either pellets or loose 2f powder, up to 150 grains. They did not indicate apreferred priming powder.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:54 AM
Dominant Buck

I shoot the ball-et in both 245 and 270 grain. The 270 grain in fast twist barrels is very accurate. My Wolverine really likes them. A guy who used to deliver my oil, told me that he had a Wolverine and that is all that he hunts with. He shoots deer every year. I shot one deer many years ago with a 245 grain out of my 1-66 twist barrel. It was a close shot, and so I took a neck shot, and he never moved after that. They do a real number on deer if you put that in the right place. I found a store going out of business and bought them out of stock, so I have a very good supply.

You do not use a wad under the ball-et. With their hollow base, it needs that explosion of powder to expand the skirt, grab the rifling, and then get up the barrel.

When you shoot a ball-et, consider them the same as a roundball. Just for kicks, next time you go to the range, try 90 grains of 2f powder and see what happen in your rifle.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:10 AM
mountaineer magic

I have ball-ets for my 54 and 58 cal. 338 gr for the 54 shoots more accurate without a felt wad. At least in my gun. They shoot well in both my slow twist(1-66) and fast twist( 1-32) gun. My 58 cal is a 1 in 48 twist. It doesn't group as tight but i haven't worked with many combinations on it yet. I would recommend around 80 gr 2ff and without the felt wad. That gives me a great group out to 100 yards. Of course every gun is different.The company went out of business so I bought a couple boxes I found at a place in NM. Once they are gone they probably will be hard to impossible to find.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Spike

Thanks for the feedback guy's. I love this site because you can get such great help fast!

It looks like I need togive some more specific's....

The gun is a Thompson Center "Firestorm" stainless version with a 1 in 48" twist barrel.I guess the 1 in 48" twist barrel is a happy medium they came up with kinda like all season tires.... One thing I like about this gun though is it ALWAY'S fires if you keep the touch hole clean andkeep theflint and frizzen in good shape so no worries there.I see too many guy's at the range that have trouble getting there Flintlocks to fire.

I use to shoot roundbal and patch but it seems like I can get better accuracy with the 270 grain Buffalo Ball-ett and I like the idea they are a heavier weight and "conical" style. Now you guy's have meconcerned once I get the gun dialed in with more practice and need moreBall-etts I won't be able to find any, lol.I didn't realize they had gone out of business.

LastFlintlock season (In PA the primitive weapons season starts the day after Christmas) Iused a combo of black powders down the barrel because I ranlow on 2F. There is only 1 store around here I know of that carries Black Powder and if you don't get it earlythey tend to run out.Before that Ionly used 2F but it seemed the gun worked better last year with the combination of both 2F& 3F which makes me wonder if I should just try using just 3F? I also only used 4F in the pan but it seems to get damp very easily... Not sureif I can use 3F in the pan or not?

Last winterbeforethe season I shot several day's and it seems the gun likes the lower 65 grain powder charge. I use to shoot "Power Belts" but they are just too expensive and my accuracy was terrible with them. I do like the 270 grain Buffalo Ball-etts and clean off most of the bore butter or whatever it is they are caked with before shooting them.

I only have about 25, 270 grain Ball-etts left so not sure what to do now... Would you guy's know what projectile would be similar to the Ball-etts? Ihate to start completely from scratch again. Just the thought of it makes me cringe especially after spending the time andenergy getting the gun shooting to where Iknow I can kill a deer out 60 yard's with it.

Any and all info greatly appreciated!
Old 12-10-2008, 04:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Hornady makes a PA Conical that is a lot like a ball-et but I never shot them.

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_session=a9a9434ae62c4237b559bfdf54200291&p age=shop%2Fbrowse&category_id=5dadafd809b601a6 7c77adcd3834ac1d

they are only a 240 grain but were basically made to shoot out of slow twist rifles instead of roundball. I have never shot them.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:42 PM
mountaineer magic

The Hornady pa conical cayugad mentioned is very close to the ball-et and should shoot the same. hornady makes the great Plains bullet in a HB HP that is the best conical I have ever shot out of my Lyman. The 50 cal is 385 gr I think. A 1 in 48 twist will shoot it fine. It is twice as expensive as a ball-et or PA conical but worth it.. I pay $6.50 for a box of 15 here. But when you hit a deer with it they don 't go anywhere.(the deer that is) They are heavy enough to maintain quite a bit of energy at 100 yards or less.I am using it exclusively in my 54 cal this season. That's the fun of trying different combinations. I would stick with 4f for the pan and 3f for the load. 3f produces a little more pressure and better burn rate.Just reduce the load over 2f by about 10%. ( my opinion). Good luck and have fun

Quick Reply: 50 Cal 270 Grain MAXI BALL-ET

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.