HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Can't get it clean... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/277719-cant-get-clean.html)

mustad 12-09-2008 08:36 PM

Can't get it clean...

I am having a heck of a time getting my CVA Optima clean. I've tried a bunch of things. All the stuff CVA sells in the cleaning kit... hot water... hot soapy water... even acetone. I can't get the powder residue off of the area at the bottom of the barrel... I've been using the 777 50 grain pellets. I am switching to loose powder next year as I think the pellets really make the gun dirty.

Any ideas how I can get this clean?

Thanks

cayugad 12-09-2008 08:47 PM

RE: Can't get it clean...

I am not sure what you're trying to get off.. simple water will remove Triple Se7en fowling. Is this some kind of a burn or stain?

MOEncore 12-09-2008 09:09 PM

I personally dont believe thats from your pellets. I think its from your 209 shot primers. Also... be very careful with that acetone... it might take off more then you want it too!

cayugad 12-09-2008 09:16 PM

I do not know if this will help, but I had discoloration on my breech in my Staghorn. A person on this forum suggested a product called Nevr-Dull which I purchased at Wal Mart. My Staghorn has a nickel finish, and there was a stain which I believe was caused by the primer ignition. The Nevr-Dull did not remove all of it, but it did take a lot of the stain off the metal. I also use the stiff to clean the barrel, by wrapping a wad of it around a cleaning jag and scrubbing the bore if I feel it needs it. I also use it to clean brass on my traditional rifles..

MOEncore 12-10-2008 05:42 AM

The only reason why I mentioned I thought it was the 209 primer is because I used to use 209's in my Encore before changing it over to .25acp ignition. When I used the 209's the breech plug and firing pin area along with the bottom of the barrel and even the scope would be covered in gunk/soot. It wasnt always to easy clean off and I have the stainless Encore. When I switched to the .25acp ignition 95% of that gunk/soot was gone. I know your muzzy probably cant be converted but I just wanted to say that its probably not the powder that is to blame. Those darn 209 shot primers are WAY over kill and it doesnt help that they are not very well sealed in the breach so lots of that fire power from it comes blowing back to cause all kinds of crud very where.

spaniel 12-10-2008 07:07 AM

Pellets have a base of real BP for easier ignition. Could this be what it is from? I don't shoot pellets but have those that have found them to clean up harder than loose 777 because the water most of us use for 777 does an inadequate job on the BP residue mixed in??

sabotloader 12-10-2008 09:59 AM

mustad

Do you use a breech plug grease? What kind of grease is it?

Way back when.... when I tried to use grease I stained the heck out of the throat of the bore with burnt and driven in grease. The grease is super heated and forced into the pores of the metal of the throat. It took several cleanings over a period of timeto get the bore back to the shiny bore that I wanted. Since this - I do not use BP grease at all.

spaniel

T7 pellets do have that ring of real BP around them... there is no up or down side to them.

mustad 12-11-2008 09:36 AM

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

Do you use a breech plug grease? What kind of grease is it?

Yes. I have been using the CVA greese that comes with the kit.

If I look straight down the barrel, I cannot see anything. It only happens when I angle my head a bit to look through.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

sabotloader 12-11-2008 09:41 AM

mustad

And when you run a patch through - you do not feel a thing - correct?

I betcha it is a grease stain - it will go away eventually - well it will if you do not keep using grease - or use less... but I would suggest you use teflon tape....

Check this thread....

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2985401&mpage=1

Underclocked 12-11-2008 11:16 AM

Oil it and stop cleaning it! :D