Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Bad Pioneer powder or primers? >

Bad Pioneer powder or primers?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bad Pioneer powder or primers?

Old 12-09-2008, 04:44 AM
Spike

Default RE: Bad Pioneer powder or primers?

Shockey's is a sugar base black powder...and it crystalizes very easily...sugar and moisture dont go well together...
Old 12-09-2008, 09:52 AM

Sorry SWthomas I didnt know that thanks . but he also asked for imput on CCI primers and thats what I was trying to give.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: garry_3000

Sorry SWthomas I didnt know that thanks . but he also asked for imput on CCI primers and thats what I was trying to give.
My bad. I re-read your post and you said you were using 777 pellets. I thought you said you were using BH209.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

I am shooting loose Shokeys. I have only been to the range with it twice. I had it dead on at 100yds. The next time out, it was consistently shooting about 2 inches low. I have had to the powder since September. I think it is already going bad and loosing velocity from it. I think if for some reason I buy another can, I will try and find some extra desicant packs and put in the can after I open initially.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

. I have had to the powder since September. I think it is already going bad and loosing velocity from it.

Not necessarily so.Lots of things can cause a gun to shoot2"low at 100 yards. Have had cans of JSG thatwere opened for nearly a year with no degradation of performance. Just keep the lid on tight.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm definitly done with the pioneer powder. I'm going to try the 777 yet before I go back tothe Pyrodex. I've been fairly happy with the Pyrodex over the years and have killed alot of deer using it but I'm just looking for I guess you could say better downrange accuracy results. And as far as the primers go does anyone this theres something better than the CCI'sor are they about as good as they get?
Old 12-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

I love JSG Sticks... as a matter of fact I'm switching back to this powder from BH. I'm just tired of using a solvent to clean with,,, After several cans of JSG Sticks shot from a Omega and Pro-Hunter, I have never had a burning Stick fly out the end of my muzzleloader. All shots went off with a powerful bang... the worst 100 yard groups were out of the Omega at 2",,, which is not bad. The PH shot moa all day and after being loaded for weeks on end. I have some of the new Super Sticks on the way to try in my Endeavor... by the way guys, Jim puts this powder to more of a test than most of us could only dream about.