Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 BH 209 Powder - How good is it? >

BH 209 Powder - How good is it?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BH 209 Powder - How good is it?

Old 12-08-2008, 07:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default BH 209 Powder - How good is it?

Haven't shot my new Pro Encore yet but was thinking about trying BH 209. I live in a condo so cleaning a muzzle after using BP or pyrodex can pose a problem in a restricted area.( wife restrictions) I read the review by Randy Wakeman and it sounds great. But as anything in life there are always a drawback. Does anyone have any negative experience with BH 209.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Spike

Default RE: BH 209 Powder - How good is it?

Currently I am shooting BH209 out of my Pro Hunter. Everyone else I hunt with shoots 777 pellets and they all have the original Encore's. I have not had the Pro Hunter long, I don't even have it scoped yet. This past week was gun season in Ohio and I carried my pro hunter and there was 3 occasions where I needed a quick follow up shot. I spent more time getting the loose powder in the barrel than anything. I am using the T/C 4 in 1 quick loaders but it didn't help much, if I tried to go fast I dumped powder all over the ground giving me a lesser charge than I amused to. With practice it may work out but I may switch to the 777 pellets for muzzleloader season and see how it works. One thing I can say about the pellets: a buddy of mine was on the opposite field I was and he shot at a running doe and hit her in thehind quarter and she fell. He was loaded (777 pellets, 250gr. SST, Win. Primer, T/C Encore)and ready for follow up shot before the doe got up to run again. Estimated reload time was about 20 seconds with a speed loader and his follow up shot double lunged her at about 90 yards. I was impressed to say the least. BH209 is nice to use on the range when taking your time, but if you need the reload time you may be better off using pellets. Just my .02
Old 12-08-2008, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get you some Lanes Tubes and it pours right in.
I am using the BH 209 and I like it.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Dominant Buck

I've shot BlackHorn 209 and liked it. In my Knight Disc it was excellent. In my Remington Genesis, again I had great results. In my Black Diamond XR I had a hangfire and it was blowing the primers all apart. In my CVA Staghorn I had the same results as the BD. Due to Sabotloaders report, and the fact I was running out of powder, I did not try it in my Whites.

What I like about it...

It is clean burning as they claim.
It has excellent power. Impressive to say the least.
It measures out easy.
It is very consistent.
It give excellent shot to shot accuracy.
You do not have to swab between shot.

Some things I don't like about it.

You have to clean your rifle with solvent.
Solvent is more expensive then Windex, or soap and water.
The breech plug is a real PITA to clean.
Granted I can clean the barrel quickly, but the breech plug is what took me the time to get all the fowling/crud off of it.
The stuff even at $28.00 for 10 ounces is expensive (unless your financially independent like Semisane).
You can not use anyprimer. Some primers that they claimed would work have not.
While some claim no problems in cold weather, others claim misfires.
You need a tight fitting sabot and good seating pressure.

Some things I do not know, or wonder about the powder.

Will the ability to buy it locally ever come around. Hazmat fees kill us.
Is if cold weather and wet weather solid.
Is it really better then triple seven or pyrodex. I have no problems with them. They are cheaper, and I can purchase them locally.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the help. I think I'll give it a try. It's not availible locally. Where is the best place to order it from? I'll be ordering primers as well. Thanks Again!!
Old 12-08-2008, 10:29 AM
Dominant Buck

If you order both.. that could be a double hazmat fee.. $50.00 for the hazmat.. someone said Midsouth has it pretty cheap.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Powder Valley Inc has the lowest price I've seen but they are taking forever to ship the stuff.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

I have changed to BH209 in my encore will not use anything else but this is the only gun I use t in.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
If you order both.. that could be a double hazmat fee.. $50.00 for the hazmat.. someone said Midsouth has it pretty cheap.
I'm pretty sure most places will ship primers and powder for the same $25 hazmat fee. I've heard of a place or two trying to gouge people and charging double though. I know Powder Valley INC says they will ship up to 48 pounds of powder and primers together and only charge the $25 hazmat fee once.

Powder Valley INC also has it for $25 for a 10oz bottle. I'm not sure if that's a good deal or not, but most of their prices are pretty darn good. I was ordering some other stuff from them since they have their 10% off your total order promo going on today only for the 4th of July, and I almost ordered some BH209, but decided I need to shoot up the Pryodex I have first.

So if you get your order in today, the 4th, before 11:59pm, they will give you 10% off of your order. It doesn't show the discount online apparently, as it will be applied to your order manually after you place it.

Last edited by hometheaterman; 07-03-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:32 AM
Typical Buck

I have had no issue with BH209. It has went off in below zero temps with no hangfire. Also I have been able to load my gun in the beginning of the season and not discharge it till the season ends or if i kill something. I like the Winchester 209 Primers. They havn't let me down yet. As for the cleaning. For me its a breeze. Spray the TC17 foam in the barrel and let that sit while I clean the breech plug. Take a 1/8 drill bit and redrill the flash hole out (I have the drill bit marked so I don't go too far). Then I take that I let it sit in TC17 Solvent or Simply Green. Then finish out the barrel and receiver. Then go back do little touch ups on the breech plug and done. Maybe 30-40 mins tops and i"m really picky about a clean gun. The only negetive about it is the freaking price. Actually the only way it saves me is they make it in Miles City MT. Its cheaper for me to drive up there and buy it. It only 26 dollars then. Its the only powder I use in my TC Triumph.

Quick Reply: BH 209 Powder - How good is it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.