Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Shockwave/SST Scorecard >

Shockwave/SST Scorecard

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shockwave/SST Scorecard

Old 12-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shockwave/SST Scorecard

Doe - 5 yards through front shoulders, 250 gr bonded, 100 gr pyro pellets, pass through and entire front destroyed, bang flop.

Doe - 75 yards through front shoulders, 250 gr bonded 100 gr pyro pellets, pass through the front again and front detroyed, bang flop.

Hog - 15 yards 300 gr bonded head shot, 100 gr pyro pellets drop dead

Last time I chronoed the 250gr was at 1800 fps if I remember. All were awesome wound channels. The deer shots at shoulders were pass throughs and bang flops. Why change a thing.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

300 gr SST, 110 gr 2f T7, Win 209 Primer, TC Omega

20 yds behind the shoulder, bullet exited, .45 in maybe .50 out broke a rib on the way out. Deer staggered 30 yds down hilland piled up.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

well the wife shot her buck tonight, i`m not complaining, but the shockwave didn`t open up, the deer only went about 40yrds but no blood till almost where it fell, the body filled up, it was a high shuolder hit took out shoulder completely, i would have thought it would be drt, but it still ran, the doe she shota few days ago ran 70yrds and only bleed close to where she fall.
these were taken with a omega shooting the bluetipped shockwaves, i killed my buck on opener with the yellow tipped ones and only went 20yrds and bled everywhere.. same charge of 100 gr.of 777
any clues ? i love the accuracy of these bullets, but i don`t want to lose an animal.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Dominant Buck

The blue tipped shockwaves... aren't they the bonded ones that are made not to expand as easy? Maybe that would explain some of trophy hunters results. But at least they see, shoot, and recover deer.. congratulations on the deer.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

The blue tipped shockwaves... aren't they the bonded ones that are made not to expand as easy?

Yes, they are the bonded Shockwaves. Have personally never tried them and probably never will.The bonded Shockwaves areover a $1.00 each.A high price to pay for possibly losing a deer to a bullet that did not expand.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0034442215941a&navCount=3&podI d=0034442&parentId=cat200005&masterpathid= &navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20712-cat200005&catalogCode=IJ&rid=&parentTy pe=index&indexId=cat200005&hasJS=true

Old 12-13-2008, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

wife works at walmart so i get a little discount.. thanks guys looks like i`ll be looking fors different bullet.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

I shot a deer last weekend at 50 yds with a 250gr (yellow tip) shockwave and100grs powder out of an omega. Shot the deer in the left front shoulder, the bullet exited right rib cage and blew a hole twice as large as entry hole. The deer went 30 yds, piled up and died quick. This is one of seven deer I killed with the shockwave and in my book you can't go worng with them. I can't understand why others are not happy with them.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

Shot a button buck today at approximately 30 yards with 300 grain superglideSW (yellow tip non bonded)and 2 Pyrodex Pellets. A complete pass thru right behing the front shoulder with massive blood trail. Deer went 40 or 50 yards before piling up. Look at my photo on myOmega Breaks theSilence post to see the spot of impact. I have never had a problem with SWs. I am surprised how many people don't like them. I have not seen the exit hole as I had somewhere to go tonight so my father in-law skinned the deer and it is hanging in his garage. Maybe I can get some photos tomorrow.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Typical Buck

Stats: 6 Deer Harvested(My Son and I together), all with 45cal Knight SS Disc Elites, and 200g Shockwaves, 90gV=65gW BH209, MV=1950 fps, CCI Standard Primers, Lane's Modified Domed FPJ Breech Plugs

5 out of 6, DRT Largest Buck ran 60yards (He had already trotted 900yards-spooked by other hunters to get to me) out in a cut bean field, spraying blood everywhere, and fell so hard his rack plunged 8inches in the dirt[8D]

It all started back on 15Nov08, Opener of RIFLE season in Nebraska..I loaned out my 30.06 and took the Disc Elite out instead! This was the largest Buck, 5x5. Got him just at 102yards in cut bean field, high double lung--no shoulder contact..In and Out..Jellified the lungs..And he was still able to go 60 yards..though he looked like a drunken sailor on shore leave, weaving all over (No offence to our Navy folks intended) (He had already trotted 900yards-spooked by other hunters to get to me)

Ingoing Bullet Pic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v416/lanenebraska/IMG_2509.jpg?t=1229315694

OutGoing Pic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v416/lanenebraska/IMG_2515.jpg?t=1229315744

Inside Rib Look
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v416/lanenebraska/IMG_2514.jpg?t=1229315784

I then reloaded my 45cal Disc Elite, put it in my gun case and left it in the unheated garage until 01Dec08.

On the 01Dec08 I took it back out for Muzzleloader Opener, did'nt get a shot off all day or that evening.....
I put it back in the guncase, and left it in the unheated garage till 13Dec08

Between 01Dec and 13Dec My Son shot a small Fork horn-60yards and a yearling-100yards with His Disc Elite and same load. In and out of the forky, broadside-DRT, and Brisket shot the yearling at 100 yards with recovered bullet, went thru one lung and 4 ribs on one side, lodged just under skin of left ham-DRT. Bullet perfect mushroom, weighed 154grains.
Also shot a BIG doe broadside in-and-Out broadside, 70yards--DRT.

Bullet Pics
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v416/lanenebraska/IMG_2578.jpg?t=1229316025

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v416/lanenebraska/IMG_2576.jpg?t=1229316076

On 13Dec08 I took out MY 45cal Disc Elite (Same Charge Had Been In It For 29 DAYS!) and Harvested an average Doe with the first shot at 50 Yards, high front shoulder-very front part of the lungs I realoded ASAP, waited 20min and shot a yearling button Buck at 30 yards, High shoulder, quartering towards me, exited far side 3-4 ribs further back-- DRT.

Both Deer Together
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v416/lanenebraska/IMG_2564.jpg?t=1229315826

In and Out--Right to Left--Yearling on floor
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v416/lanenebraska/IMG_2572.jpg?t=1229315883

Doe Hanging Around
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v416/lanenebraska/IMG_2566.jpg?t=1229315956

Haven't cleaned my gun or messed with the breech plug, since sight in back in early November! It's back in the case, in the unheated garage tonight, temps are allready at -2/with -21 wind chill outside

I saw a HUGE bodied Buck, I will try to get on this comming weekend!! However, My Son saw him too...So i guess we'll see how this story ends

Old 12-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Fork Horn

Two SW's fired (250 gr/HSBS over 110 gr of T7) = two really dead deer. Very impressive bullet!!!!

Well today was the day to get me MZ career kicked off. First let me set the scene:

- I arrived a little late and didn't get into the stand until 7:00 am. 22 degrees, NW wind, hunting in Southern TN, ladder stand over looking a food plot (200 yds L to R and 60 deep). I sat on the southern side, wind inmy face, with 150 yds to my left and 50 yds to my right.

- I was carrying an Encore PH, thumbhole, burris 3x9x40mm ballistic plex, 250 gr SW/HSBS over 110 gr 2f Triple 7.

- Behind me was a pretty step ridge (drop off)...heavily wooded, beyond the food plot was another ridge drop off to a semi-wooded draw, beyond the draw (approx 220 yds) was another ridge (the top of which was approx 275 yds). All distances were confirmed via rangefinder.

- After about an hour I had several doe enter the field to my far left. They kept looking over their shoulders into the woods and after about 15 minutes a 6 ptr emerged. The buck was nice (tall and thick) but was clearly a young buck. Therefore, I decided to take the biggest doe available. The target was approx. 100 yds away quartering towards me...after a lengthy wait and no broadside opportunity, I put the PH to work. The SW entered in front of her left shoulder and exited mid-rib cage on her right side. The exit hole was the size of a quarter (sorry I left the camera at home). When the smoke cleared I saw her skidding and floppingon her back...she managed to gain her feet (atleast the rear gear) for about 15 yards but was spewing blood every where. She weighted 110 lbs.

-Well, after I shot deer scatteredto my left (back the woods from which they came) and up the next draw. Here is where I became so impressed with the 4-in-1 TC speed loader. I had the PH reloaded in notime at all.

-I sat for about 15-20 minutes and noticed a deer to my left and slightly behind me. The deer was in the woods quartering away from the field (deeper into the woods) and going downhill. At 50 yds I got a good look at the deer through the scope (I had lowered to 3 power)...upon entering the clearing (between trees) I saw the antlers, found the front left shoulder and squeezed. When the smoke cleared I looked and listened for a running deer...saw nothing but white belly. Maybe three kicks and he expired. High shoulder shot that penciledstraight through. He weighed 183 lbs.

Quick Reply: Shockwave/SST Scorecard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.