Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Once loaded after hunt do you bring gun into warm home! >

Once loaded after hunt do you bring gun into warm home!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Once loaded after hunt do you bring gun into warm home!

Old 12-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default Once loaded after hunt do you bring gun into warm home!

After a day of hunting and you dont get a shot and its cold do you bring gun into a warm home or a garage where its colder? I am worried about condensation (moisture) bringing gun into a warm enviroment What seems to be your thoughts on this?Tough being a rookie thanks for your thoughts

Old 12-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Once loaded after hunt do you bring gun into warm home!

I keep any weapon, be it bow or gun in a cold place the entire season.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Make sure you take a muzzle mit off, wipe the outside down with a oil cloth, some people swab the barrel with a dry cloth until the inside is dry, then they run a LIGHTLY OILED patch down to the load. After that they store it some place where the temperature will remain somewhat constent.

Others bring them into a warm house gradually. I shoot mine off, clean it and load it fresh the next day. Although I did experiment with two rifles this year and actually had no trouble with them. But I did not bring them into the house.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

Being in the Army for 8 years and being in charge of an arms room for a tank company for 3 of them I have seen machine guns...M4/M16...9mm pistols....you name it. You have no worries from hot to cold. Just nock the big snow pieces off and you will be a-okay!!
Old 12-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: matt068

After a day of hunting and you dont get a shot and its cold do you bring gun into a warm home or a garage where its colder? I am worried about condensation (moisture) bringing gun into a warm enviroment What seems to be your thoughts on this?Tough being a rookie thanks for your thoughts
I leave mine in the garage, which is unheated. Chap
Old 12-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would leave mine in the garage.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MoNoFletch

Being in the Army for 8 years and being in charge of an arms room for a tank company for 3 of them I have seen machine guns...M4/M16...9mm pistols....you name it. You have no worries from hot to cold. Just nock the big snow pieces off and you will be a-okay!!

Here your talking about shells, not muzzleloaders. I take my primer out and leave it on the back porch (unheated) when I come in from the morning hunt. When I go out later I put the primer back in and go. At the end of the day I unload and clean everything and reload in the morning.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I seal mine up when I load it and have always taken it in and out with any problem, either for 3 weeks or untill I get a shot. Lee
Old 12-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

i always have mine in its case. i only take it out when i get into my stand and put it back before i get out of it. and then store it in my house. i dont know how the temp will affect it but i have never had a problem with it. and i always give it a good clean after about 5 round put through it.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

i always leave mine out in the cold. don't know if it does or does'nt make a difference,but like Forrest Gump said "one less thing"

Charlie

Quick Reply: Once loaded after hunt do you bring gun into warm home!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.