Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 245 grain vs 295 grain bullets? >

245 grain vs 295 grain bullets?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

245 grain vs 295 grain bullets?

Old 12-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 245 grain vs 295 grain bullets?

So exactly what is the big deal if the powerbelt fragments a bit with two 50 grain pellets? Lots of other type bullets may fragment also yet will KILL the deer. Any bullet I have ever recovered had some sort of fragmentation in fact. If the brunt of a 245 or 295 grain bullet will be passing through the deer's vitals even with some fragmentation I can't see the deer going very far.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Steve863

So exactly what is the big deal if the powerbelt fragments a bit with two 50 grain pellets? Lots of other type bullets may fragment also yet will KILL the deer. Any bullet I have ever recovered had some sort of fragmentation in fact. If the brunt of a 245 or 295 grain bullet will be passing through the deer's vitals even with some fragmentation I can't see the deer going very far.
IF YOU HIT BEHIND SHOULDER,EXPLODING BULLET IS JUST FINE.

if you hit the shoulder, oh my.

now,with a IN-LINE with scope, you have a great chance to shoot a buck behind shoulder BUT with a flintlock hawkins.50 cali guess you can see i like this gun, with open sights,you better slow your bullet down because you could hit shoulder and not behind the shoulder.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sproulman

USE AERO TIPS/PLATINUM PB IN THE IN-LINES.

USE THE HOLLOW POINT PB IN FLINTLOCKS.
Sproul..is the aero-tip bullet not just a hollow point with a plastic plug in the end?
Old 12-16-2008, 10:01 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: livbucks

Sproul..is the aero-tip bullet not just a hollow point with a plastic plug in the end?
Yup, but the Aerotip DOES help the bullet from opening up. Allows for deeper penetration.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

True, however a bullet that holds together without fragmentation will drive deeper and shoot thru providing excellent blood trail. Also if you shoot shoulder shots to anchor the deer, no problem, since the bullet will generall shoot thru two shoulders and be DRT (dead right there). Really it come down to shooting philosophy and experience, personally I like very accurate bullets, expanding to 2x the diameter, shooting thru the deer and nearly 100% weight retention. Nobody said that PB don't kill, I know they do, however there are more chances for not recoving the deer with a PB. I really don't want to go into a PB war again (I am against that particular bullet), I have shot them and I don't like them or recommend them for inlines (I would shoot them with FL or percussion at 60 to 80 g and I may in my CVA percussion), if ya wanna know why I don't like them see here:

http://www.the-gleasons.com/powerbelt_page.htm

There are MANY defenders of PBs, I don't wanna get into a war of words with you all--you know my positiion on them if you have been on this forum very long. I just want a new MLing people to think about their bullet choice. STRONG non fragmenting bullets are best for all hunting situations and distances in my opinion, why? I would encourage you to read the book "Rifle Bullets for the Hunter, A Definitive Study" by Richard Mann and a host of others to make up your own mind.The MLing chapter was written by Bryce Towsley, Am Hunter MLing editor. Excellent read:

http://www.riflebullets.net/

Great Christmas gift for anyone who hunts.

If you follow the evolution of a man like Towsley (He wrote about the Benoits of Maine back in the 70's) and see what he uses NOW, then you will understand why a STRONG expanding bullet is required to sometimes kill big bucks, honestly nearly anything will kill a bow shot on a small doe or small buck.

Chap

Old 12-17-2008, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

yes,it helps it buck the wind out to 150 yds and some say it does help on expansion.

for a flintlock, i would use the hollow point ones and shoot like 80 grs in .50 cal.
for the in-lines, i would use the new platium ones at wal mart now on sale for 15 dollars or so.

did you know that BEST velocity/fps etc was attained in testing on .50 cal is 70 grs of 2f with a 490 rb.

and around 80 grains with the MAXI-BALL 370..

so, for flintlock .50cal,i would not be above 80 grs with rd ball or conical if you want great groups and best velocity.
'
also, gun will not kick like mule and noise is a lot less.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

True, however a bullet that holds together without fragmentation will drive deeper and shoot thru providing excellent blood trail. Also if you shoot shoulder shots to anchor the deer, no problem, since the bullet will generall shoot thru two shoulders and be DRT (dead right there). Really it come down to shooting philosophy and experience, personally I like very accurate bullets, expanding to 2x the diameter, shooting thru the deer and nearly 100% weight retention. Nobody said that PB don't kill, I know they do, however there are more chances for not recoving the deer with a PB. I really don't want to go into a PB war again (I am against that particular bullet), I have shot them and I don't like them or recommend them for inlines (I would shoot them with FL or percussion at 60 to 80 g and I may in my CVA percussion), if ya wanna know why I don't like them see here:

http://www.the-gleasons.com/powerbelt_page.htm

There are MANY defenders of PBs, I don't wanna get into a war of words with you all--you know my positiion on them if you have been on this forum very long. I just want a new MLing people to think about their bullet choice. STRONG non fragmenting bullets are best for all hunting situations and distances in my opinion, why? I would encourage you to read the book "Rifle Bullets for the Hunter, A Definitive Study" by Richard Mann and a host of others to make up your own mind.The MLing chapter was written by Bryce Towsley, Am Hunter MLing editor. Excellent read:

http://www.riflebullets.net/

Great Christmas gift for anyone who hunts.

If you follow the evolution of a man like Towsley (He wrote about the Benoits of Maine back in the 70's) and see what he uses NOW, then you will understand why a STRONG expanding bullet is required to sometimes kill big bucks, honestly nearly anything will kill a bow shot on a small doe or small buck.

Chap

very well said and nothing i could add other than I LIKE PB VERY MUCH IN MY HAWKINS .50 CAL FLINTLOCK WITH 80 GRS OF 2F.more than that, i would never use hollow point bullet on deer.

in a in-line ,NO WAY I WOULD USE THE HOLLOW POINT PB.

25 years ago we got idea to use 90 gr hollow point bullets in our 250-3000 sav rifles on deer.

we wounded so many deer we threw those bullets away.

why, because we were pushing those bullets at 3,000fps.

speed and hollow point bullet is awful thing.[:@]
Old 12-17-2008, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sproul, I shoot the copper Hollowpoint 295 in my 1-48 twist flintlock pushed by 80 grains 777 in 2f, which equals about 92 grains if shooting BP 2f. So you think I should slow it down? I hardly feel a kick at that load as it is. How far out do you shoot with PB?
Old 12-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Banned

Sproul, I shoot the copper Hollowpoint 295 in my 1-48 twist flintlock pushed by 80 grains 777 in 2f, which equals about 92 grains if shooting BP 2f. So you think I should slow it down? I hardly feel a kick at that load as it is. How far out do you shoot with PB?
Your load is fine. With that load, 125 with a flinter in my hands would be pushing the limits. If it were in a sidelock, 150-160 tops with open sights.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just thought I would add this to the discusion. This is a 295 grain Hollow point powerbelt, with 80 grains of 777 loose powder, and a Winchester 209 priimer. Shot out of a CVA Wolf.

Quick Reply: 245 grain vs 295 grain bullets?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.