HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Flintlock fun (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/276642-flintlock-fun.html)

danny426 12-03-2008 09:30 AM

Flintlock fun

Talk about a blast! I shot my Lyman Deerstaler flintlock for the first time yesterday what fun. For you guys who shoot flintlocks how do you get used to shooting. the lock times seemed good but I went from shooting my 06 & Traditions Pursuit, & it seemed like it took forever to go off. also after about 15 shots the flint was looking pretty rough even though the gun kept firing. can the flint be re shaped and re used, if so how? thanks! to all and good luck in the woods.

cayugad 12-03-2008 09:41 AM

RE: Flintlock fun

ORIGINAL: danny426

Talk about a blast! I shot my Lyman Deerstaler flintlock for the first time yesterday what fun. For you guys who shoot flintlocks how do you get used to shooting. the lock times seemed good but I went from shooting my 06 & Traditions Pursuit, & it seemed like it took forever to go off. also after about 15 shots the flint was looking pretty rough even though the gun kept firing. can the flint be re shaped and re used, if so how? thanks! to all and good luck in the woods.
If you are shooting the original touch vent liner, I might suggest getting an allen head RMC touch hole liner. They tend to speed things up. Also make sure you're not making a fuse with the powder. If you pile it up against the vent hole liner, it can sit and slow burn. I keep the powder to the outside edge of the pan. It seems to speed things up. As for knapping the flint, while you can knapp a flint, the agates that come with the rifle are harder to do. Just keep shooting it until it no longer sparks. Also turn it over in the jaws and it will sometimes semi sharpen itself.

Rootsy 12-03-2008 09:44 AM

Do some research on tuning locks and use some good quality flints and you'll extend flint life quite a bit. White Lightning touch hole liner makes things go boom too...

As far as speed, not all locks are created equal. Touch hole position relative to the pan also makes a difference.

nchawkeye 12-03-2008 10:26 AM

With agood flintlock with real black powder like Goex you should not be able to notice any hang time...

1)You are shooting real black powder??? Not Pyrodex or another sub...Real bp has a lower ignition temp, others will slow you down...

2)Where is the touch hole and what size is it??? It should be above the top of the pan so when you close the frizzen it is behind the base of the
frizzen so the powder doesn't block it...Also, some are too small and should be drilled a tad larger...

As far as knapping, yes you can resharpen...When target shooting, I usually just flip the flint over and it will knap itself...
I also carry a small nail in my patch box with both ends filed flat...I've got a small brass hammer and I hold the nail at the edge of the
flint and hit straight down, this knocks off small flakes and it will start knapping again...

Also, clean the face of the frizzen with alcohol, you don't want oil on it as it will reduce sparks...After a few shots you might find that you
need to do this again to remove residue that builds up here as well...

bronko22000 12-03-2008 05:48 PM

Follow the above post and you should have no problems. Most newbis tend to fill up the pan and cover the hole like Cayugad says and you get a delay.
Now that you shot a flinter imagine how us leftys have to control ourselves when that flash goes off a couple inches in front of our nose.!! I just try to get tunnel vision on my target and ignore the flash in the pan.

Rootsy 12-04-2008 07:11 AM

Lefty rock locks are available ya know;)

danny426 12-04-2008 05:20 PM

Thanks for the replies guys! I think I'll try a different touch hole liner as suggested. the one in there now is the orignal Lyman sent. I am shooting Goex3F & using Goex 4F in the pan. I did speed things up when I lessened the charge in the pan, & Bronko I am a lefty but so is the gun, don't think I cound handle the flash right there on a R/H gun. some tweaking is in order & I need to get used to Iron sights again its been a while. The back sight is all the way up and I am just under a 8" bull at 50 yds, Might borrow my dads peep that he has on his Lyman to see if it has more travel than the current sights. thanks again to the resident BP experts you guys are a great resource to new BP shooters. dan

Jollyarcher 12-14-2008 08:48 AM

ORIGINAL: Rootsy

Lefty rock locks are available ya know;)
Help me out here fellas... what is a "rock lock"?

I'm a complete newb in the world of flinters... and I'm from PA, can ya imagine that?

I'm a southpaw rifleman from wayYyYyyy back, handloader and all that goes with sub MOA groups, yet,I'm wanting to play in the PA late season with something other than my bow.

Many apologies if I havehijacked this thread, but I've only got one close friend that hunts flint local and I've been told lefty rifles are common.

Is this rock lock something to shield aleft handed shooter using a right handed rifle? What the heck should I buy? [&:]

Although I'd really like to, I don't plan on hunting with one this year, (ran arrows through 'em and have no deer tags left), but I'd like to buy a rifle now and get to the getting to know it. You know whatta mean? ;) Thanks!

cayugad 12-14-2008 09:07 AM

Help me out here fellas... what is a "rock lock"?
That is another term for a flintlock. Since they ignite powder using a rock, many call them rock locks..

They do make a left handed flintlock which will help you out. Lyman makes them.

Rootsy 12-14-2008 10:16 AM

One must also realize that not all flintlock locks are created equal. A lyman or TC lock is no where close to being on the same level as a Jim Chambers, L&R or Davis lock (Just to name a few of the big ones). Even within those names different lock styles perform differently. Even two identical locks may not perform the same way. But all in all you get what you pay for in this game. A poorly performing Chambers may seem like a piece of gold compared to a well performing Lyman or TC lock...