Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Flintlock fun

Old 12-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Flintlock fun

Danny,
I have a .50 cal Deerstalker flinter that I use during Pa's primitive season. It is great fun to target shoot as well. You might check the way you are aligning the sights, since the round bead front can be a bit tricky. But, if it still shoots low, just try a slightly lower front sight. By the way, my Deerstalker still has the original Lyman touch hole, and it fires very fast. Just be sure that you do not use more than a half pan of powder, or letthe powderpile up against the touch hole.This will cause a fuse effect and lead to hang fires. Some years ago, the thermometer read -15f when I left the house one morning. I remember saying to myself "what am I doing out here". It was a beautiful snowy morning, so I decided I would stay out for about an hour or so. At that temp, I doubted that the gun would fire anyway. As luck would have it, I got a good shot at a doe, and that flinter fired like it was 60 degrees. No delay. I was amazed. So was the doe.

I use Goex 3f with PRB in the barrel and under most circumstances 4f in the pan. In very wet weather, I use 3f in the pan, since it does not seem to attract moisture as quickly, and fires just about as fast. I seem to have best results with Tom Fuller (real) flints.