Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Hawken is ready to make smoke >

Hawken is ready to make smoke

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hawken is ready to make smoke

Old 12-02-2008, 10:02 PM
FG

Default Hawken is ready to make smoke

Got both barrels loaded and everything ready to go for tomorrow AM. I decided to start out with the .45 shooting 40gr Pyrodex P, .015 patch and a .440 round ball. I will take 1 shot @ 25 just to see where it impacts and then take 3 shots @ 50.

I'll swap out the barrel and wedge the .50cal on thats loaded with 70gr Pyrodex RS, 385gr HP Great Plains conical. 1 shot at 25 and 3 at 50 yards "If its ok at 25yrds."

It will be a fun day and an easy day of cleaning. Both of the barrels are chrome lined and wash out very easily.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hawken is ready to make smoke

That gun looks very much like guns some friends used to have back in the late 1980's. I'm not sure where they bought them, but the MFR was a company called Sile, or something like that. They had chrome lined bores too. The guys I knew bought the 54 cal., short barelled carbineversion.

Just looked at Cabela's. Their sporterized Hawken available in 50 and 54 must be the same gun that my friends had. Looks identical. Are Cabela's guns made or imported by a company called Sile?
Old 12-03-2008, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

actually I am pretty sure Investarms makes them for Cabelas.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Investarms (used to) make the Cabela's Hawkins. Investarms are the same people that bring us Lyman. When I bought a Lymans Trade Rifle they sent an Investarms manual with it. When my friend bought his Cabela's .54 Hawkins they sent an Investarms manual with it. Their Hawkins is a Trade Rifle with a patch box and some extras. Now the Blue Ridge line of rifles Cabela's sells are Pedersolli. Might account for their extra cost. Also their Mountain Hawkins and some of the high end ones are Pedersolli as well.

That's a nice looking rifle there FG. I am sure it will be a good shooter. Now I do not mean to start anything over your purchase, but I would have thought with the hunting conditions you live in, a large caliber would have been better? Or is this for deer and such?
Old 12-03-2008, 11:49 AM
FG

This one is going to be for my 13 year old nephew. He wants to start hunting now that he saw his dad take that big whitetail earlier this year. It had the perfect size barrel for him so i went with it. I just have to find a load for him to shoot.

I am spoiling myself with that .58cal cva mountain rifle i am building. Going to order the barrel and tang late next week. Then the fun search begins for a lock/trigger.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:39 PM
FG

First outing went Perfect with the .440 round ball load. Exactly right where she needs to be. May adjust the sights a little to the left a bit. This was only 25 yards, i wanted to check the groups before moving out to 50 yards.

I am going to swab the barrel clean and take her out to the 50 yard line.

Now for the .50cal barrel, my first shot went. Thunk! Hit about 10 feet in front of me. I reloaded but noticed my ramrod was really high to i pulled the bullet and blew the powder out with my airline. Or i should say, Most of it blew out. Reloaded again, fired. Holy SOB! I swear my vision went blurry for a few seconds as the recoil was horrible and the stock hit me right under the eye socket.

Took another shot and it was very pleasant! But 6" below the bulls eye @ 25 yards. I adjusted, Took another shot and hit 4" below the bullseye. I adjusted a 2 complete turns and it should be directly at 6 O'clock and center. That first shot though really had me worried and in pain. The .50 is going to be an excellent shooter even though the barrel is pitted badly.

Now time to stop the jabbering and get to cleaning on the .45
Old 12-03-2008, 02:49 PM
FG

3 shots @ 58 yards gave me a 4" verticle group. I was shooting off my knee and leaning on a log so i believe it was my fault for the north/south group. Looks like i will need to put it on the bench on a warm day and do 50 yards again.