Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 why are they so addicting >

why are they so addicting

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

why are they so addicting

Old 12-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default why are they so addicting

I know some of you have many muzzleloaders and when I bought my first You all warned me that it gets addicting but I was wondering if anyone knows why it is so addicting? I look at muzzleloaders online almost every day, Every time I go to cabelas or gander mountain, I pick up every muzzleloader and play with em. I have a list of muzzleloaders i need to buy. I am not saying i want to find a cure I am just wondering who has a theory why.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: why are they so addicting

all little boys like noise makers that have a loud noise, lots of smoke, and make big holes in things with lots of power. We're just reliving out childhood.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

They is worse than wimmen! They feel good, smell good, and if you your part, They perform up to your expectations!! If you leave them in the corner, they don't bother you at all, for a while! Then they start naggin, I can do better if you do this , or better if you do that!! It' a bad habit!! But I am hooked!! Welcome to the addiction!!
Old 12-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

The same reason that those of us who go to manual transmission cars never go back....more control, closer to the action. Cartridge guns, unless you reload, have little of the control and mystique.

Plus, MLing feels a lot more like playing with explosives. Big cool factor.

My addiction started with the ML pistol I built in junior high. Pretty ingenious looking back...and also lucky my right arm is still attached at the shoulder (I was using smokeless!!!! Survival of the luckiest I guess)
Old 12-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

ive done good though i only bought 3 in the three years i have been shooting but i have one comming for christmas and i am saving my pennys for eather a white or a knight disc extreme
Old 12-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

I suppose there are a great many reasons and each of us has somthing different. I like the feeling of the one shot thing although I never shot more than once with a shotgun.The satisfaction of having worked up a good load for your particular gun. I always enjoyed catching trout more on flies that I tied myself rather than one machine tied in East whateverstan. Even Orvis imports some of their patterns now. I just feel different carrying a MZ(don,t know how to 'Splain it.)

Charlie

I like the loud noise smoke and big hole thing too
Old 12-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

I guess everyone has their own reasons. Mine is that I like the challenge. I'm mostly a traditional ML shooter (except for my recent Genesis buy), and open sights. I especially like the flinters. My opinion is that anyone who is a semi-decent shot can kill an animal at 300 yds with a scopedcenterfire rifle. I like getting close, (I guess that's why I like archery too). The adreneline pumping when an animal is in spitting distance and hoping he doesn't see you until its too late.
Oh yeah, and I like the bang and the smoke too.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

To slightly misquote Alfred Lord Tennyson's famous poem, "The Charge of the Light Brigade." -Ours not to reason why. Ours isbut to shop and buy.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

good one semisane
Old 12-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have 3...

A Knight Disc, that I haven't loaded the past 3 seasons and 2 custom flintlocks, one a .54 and one a .40...So my "needs" are met...

It will be awhile for me, mainly because my next will be a Jim Chambers and they are about a thousand bucks...I'm in the middle of getting 3 daughters through college and married, so I stay broke...

For some reason, factory made muzzle loaders just don't do anything for me...I've never owned a factory made side hammer...The Knight is a heck of a rifle, but it's really close to using a center fire...

When I kill a deer with the flintlock that I made, with a ball I made, I know I've done something special...

Quick Reply: why are they so addicting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.