HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   200gr. Shockwaves UPDATE! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/276076-200gr-shockwaves-update.html)

ZRider 11-30-2008 08:31 AM

200gr. Shockwaves UPDATE!

OK, need to know what sabot comes with the 200 gr. Shockwaves. For those that use them do you use a different sabot or the suppliedones. After reading some great reports on deer sized game, I am considering using these in my new Triumph for deer. Let me know your thoughts as I have located a good supply of them and want to pick up as many as possible.

Thanks,
Z

P.S. Any stories or recommendations you may have using the 200 grainers lets here them.

oldsmellhound 11-30-2008 08:44 AM

RE: 200gr. Shockwaves

I've shot the 200 grain shockwave/SST (same bullet) some, though out of a .45 cal. inline. It's easily the most accurate bullet out of my rifle - best 3 shot group at 100 yards was just over 1". Average groups are about 1.5". I've shot 1 deer with them- it was a doe that had been hit by a car and I put it out of its misery. 95 grains 777 + 200 grain SST at 5 yards - complete pass-through on the deer's chest and it expired after a few seconds.

I think Spaniel and Lane Nebraska use the 200 grain shockwave a lot- they probably have more stories to share. In the .45 I use the supplied sabot, but if you're shooting out of a .50 I can't tell you what to do. Overall, I think it's a very good bullet for deer-sized game. I'm still using the 200 grain XTP's though, because they're cheaper and I still have a big box of them to shoot up.

sabotloader 11-30-2008 08:51 AM

ZRider

I forgot what gun you might be shooting, but I am using the regular MMP Blue sabot in my 50 cals and I am also using the XTP (less expensive and I am not shooting extended ranges). When you place the bullet in the sabot it does st in the bottom of the sabot as yo think it should but as you push the bullet to the powder the bullet wil seat in the sabot. Harvester now makes a 'crush rib' that is somewhat thinner and easier to load in tight bores.

The XTP's shoot like a dream, I have used them on ground squirells - in Idaho we can not use anything less that a 44 cal on big game from a ML so I have no experiance with them shooting deer - but others do.

bowbender6 11-30-2008 08:59 AM

I think it is the MMP. If you need one that loads easier you can get the harvester crush rib.

ZRider 11-30-2008 11:03 AM

Sounds like most are using the supplied blue sabots. I guess I will try them on Tuesday and report back.

ZRider 12-01-2008 06:50 AM

Anybody else have some input?

burntmuch 12-01-2008 08:08 AM

The 200 grain SSTs in a blue MMP sabot. Shoot great in my Omega X7 over 70 grains BH209. Right at an inch at 100 yards

ZRider 12-01-2008 07:45 PM

36* here on Wednesday. Heading to the range that morning to work up a load for the new Triumph using 3F T7 and 200 gr. Shockwaves.
I have my Lanes Tubes all loaded 6 each starting at 95gr. up to 120gr.

Will report back on results.

Z

jascoesens 12-02-2008 07:19 AM

ZRide,

Only reasons not to use the supplied sabots are: 1) tight barrel - have to pound the sabot/bullet down the barrel, or 2) poor accuracy with supplied sabots.
Have fun!

spaniel 12-02-2008 08:16 AM

I've probably got about as much experience with the 200SW as anybody. I have been shooting them almost exclusively since they came out I think (what was that, 2003 or so?). I average around 5-6 deer per year, so that makes it around what, 35-45 deer taken with it?

While the majority of these deer were in the 80-120 yd range, I have taken deer from 20yds to 338yds with this bullet. I target shoot with it to 400 yds, my groups are still MOA at that range.

The bullet performs well on deer. It expands nicely. The few I have recovered (like all bullets I've tried, majority are pass-thrus) are opened as wide as any XTP or anything else I've recovered. I would not use a non-bonded Shockwave on elk though, I've had a couple double-shoulder hits deform the bullet enough that I find the jacket separated from the lead under the far-side skin and the lead continued through to exit.

The bullet did its job again this year, I hit a nice 9-pt at 200 yds and he dropped in his tracks with a pass-thru.

I shoot it over 110gr FFg 777, 2100fps. At even 115gr the accuracy noticeably suffers in my gun.