Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Need Help with CVA >

Need Help with CVA

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need Help with CVA

Old 11-25-2008, 10:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Need Help with CVA

Normally or generally speaking I think most CVA owners can find one Powerbelt that loads and shoots very well out of their rifles. I have a CVA Staghorn Magnum .50 caliber. 90 grains of Pyrodex RS and a 245 grain powerbelt and I could shoot bulls eyes all day with the thing. It for some reason loves that combination. It also shoots the 300 grain XTP very well, and sence they are much more cost effect and I am a cheap so and so.. I shoot them.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

being that cva and powerbelt are owned by bpi. you would think they would work and that cva recommends them. it could be it just does not like that weight of bullet. it just not like pellets/powerbelt combo. you really won't know until you start working with other loads.

I really don't like the front site on the cva's they seem to break why to easily.

I have 2 knights. one loves powerbelts (likes just about anything I shot out of it) the other gives me 4in groups at 50yrds scoped.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:24 PM
FG

ditch the pellets and get a pound of pyrodex RS. Try the 275gr copper series aerotip powerbelts or the 225gr powerbelts. Dont go over 80grs of powder with those.

or you can try the 300gr platinum with the 2 pellets.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a CVA .45 - I never could get acceptable accuracy with 777 pellets - that could be part of your problem. With 777 pellets I could get a 4" group at 50 yards, but at 100 yards it was all over the place- nothing you could call a group.

When I switched to loose powder, my groups immediately improved. First season I had it I shot groups with both the 225 grain Powerbelt and 200 grain XTP. With the 225 grain Powerbelt I had the best results using 70 grains loose 777 FFG - groups were about 2.5" at 100 yards with a scope.

I would check your sights, make sure everything is staying tight. Then, I'd get some loose powder. If you want to stick with the Powerbelts, I'd start at 60 or 70 grains and work your way up until you find the "sweet spot". If they are legal where you hunt, I'd suggest buying a pack of the 200 grain XTP's and/or a pack of the 200 grain SST's/Shockwaves - these shoot the best out of my .45 - 1.5" 100 yard groups most days.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:05 AM
Fork Horn

I have owned 2 cva guns over the past 5 or 6 years. The 1st wa a cva firebolt ultra mag. The 2nd which i will be useing this year is the cva kodiak pro mag. both gunsareextremly accurate with 2 50 grain hodgdonpyrodex pellets and the .223 powerbelt.
But with that said my Son has a traditions pursuit. I could not get his gun to accuratly shoot the same load as in my other 2 guns. i ended up trying the next bullet size up which was the powerbelt .245. That's all it took, now his gun will hit a softball sized target every time at 100 yds.
Try the next bullet size up, it may work.