Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Need Help with CVA >

Need Help with CVA

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need Help with CVA

Old 11-25-2008, 07:40 AM
Spike

Default Need Help with CVA

Ihave a CVA Pro Magnum .45. Shooting 100gr. 777 pellets. and power belt pro crome platted 223 gr. bullets. it dose not shoot very well. What else should I try?
Old 11-25-2008, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need Help with CVA

Wht is not very well, 4" groups at 100, or 12" groups?

If it is shooting well enough to hunt with, I'd just hunt this year and worry about trying to fing a more accurate load for next year.

If the thing won't hit the side of a barn from the inside, you probably have scope issues (if you have a scope) or the gun just does not like that bullet. If you have a scope and iron sights, take the scope off and shoot the irons as a test. If it groups you know it is the scope.

If it is not the scope, try another bullet and drop the charge a little. Work up from say 80 grains.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:23 AM
Dominant Buck

If the rifle is scoped, check the scope and the mounts.. If you have any doubt of the scope try the iron sights.

What kind of group is it shooting and at what distance are you shooting?

First thing I would do is go to loose powder. Pyrodex RS if you can find it. Start with 80 grains of powder and see if the groups do not improve. The other things you can do is try some different weight powerbelts if you are determined to shoot them, or try some XTP, Shockwaves, or some other projectile.

All else fails, call CVA and talk to them. Also check to make sure all the locking lugs are tight.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:38 AM
Spike

It is shooting eratic not really grouping.I would say 12 inch groups with open sights. No where near what my Encore dose, whichI borrowed out. i have never shot he powerbelts before. Do the sabots shoot better?
Old 11-25-2008, 08:56 AM
Dominant Buck

12 inch groups at 100 yards would not be acceptable IMO. Since your shooting open sights, perhaps you're pushing the powerbelts too hard, or it just does not like them. I guess at this stage I would get some sabots and projectiles and try that. Or you could see if you can find some maxiball or something like that. I have one .45 caliber rifle. I shoot conicals out of mine, but it is made to shoot conicals. I did purchase a lot of excellent .45 caliber sabot/projectile combinations made by Barnes. These normally shoot well out of most .45 caliber rifles. But again, all you can do is try different things. With my limited experience in a .45 caliber I really do not know what to suggest to you. Perhaps some other forum member can tell you of a good load to try. Good luck. Give CVA a call and see what they suggest. They are pretty helpful people there.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Spike

I have had real good luck with 100 grains of BH209, and the Hornady SST/ML 200gr, and Remington STS 209 primer.With a scope, have had shots touching at 50yds. Sabot/bullet also loads very well, not overly tight.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have an 45cal win apex scoped. it did not like the 223gr powerbelts, shot 270gr, 2 in group at 100yrds, 300gr, did not like them.

try the 270gr powerbelts with 75 to 80grs of loose pryodex rs.

also, check to see if your rear site may have came loose. had that happen to me on an sidelock.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

I would check my sights. When I first bought my .45 cal cva kodiak it shot all over the place with the open sights. I tried every load i could think of from 50 grains to 150 and all the bullets i could get my hands on. The front blade on mine would wobble and that was just killing the accuracy. I switched over to a ghost ring peep and everything got alot better.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:53 AM
Spike

Do the Power belts normaly shoot good? In my Encore I shoot the PT 235. Precision Technology?
Old 11-25-2008, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

powerbelts nomally shoot good out of cva's they were designed for them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.