Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Got him hooked!!

Old 11-21-2008, 06:01 PM
FG

Default Got him hooked!!

Brought home my 2 nephews today and had my 13yo nephew take out the 50cal cva mountain stalker. Loaded him up with 40gr pyrodex RS and a .490 round ball. Started him out at 25 yards and showed him how to aim @ 6 o'clock,I think he flinched and his shot was a little to the left but touching the bottom of the bulls eye. Next shot put him exactly where it should have originally hit and so i took him out to 100 yards and he drilled it! Elevation was dead center but the shot hit 2" to the left. I was amazed with this as he had never fired the rifle before and he took to it like he had been doing it his whole life.

Next year hes getting his hunters Ed. card and a tag going with me and the brother in law.

He also now has his own muzzleloader because his favorite uncle traded off his cva optima to Coryj for a cabelas sportertised hawken in .45cal. I will more than likely set him up with either the 195 or 225gr Powerbelt with 60-70gr Powder.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Got him hooked!!

Well it is nice of you to introduce him properly to the sport. I've done that with my nephews and great nephews, and donated some rifles to them as well. They are muzzleloader crazy as well.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

FG

I introduced my Grandson to the Knight LK 93 today with 60 grains T-7 and the 295 grain powerbelt bullet.
I thought this would be a good load for him to start with but it kicked him way to much. The powerbelts were all I had so I will have to try something else later.

WV Mountaineer
Old 11-22-2008, 08:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Alright - another young person to continue the sport. That's great.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:49 AM

I think we owe to our children to taech them gun safety. I teach Hunters Education here in Tennessee and I love it. The smile that they have on their faces as well as their parents faces thrills my heart. The last course was 2 months ago. We started with 66 students and we had 59 complete the course. Some kids are not ready but give in to their parents and usually those kids don't do all that well. I had 6 teenage girls as well as 14 boys in my section of shooting. I then guided them the rest of the way thru the course. At church 2 weeks ago 2 of the girls parents came up and ask me to help them with purchases of a ML. They loved the smoke and muzzle blast. WOW! we are going next week tomake thosepurchases for those girls Christmas presents. The big Honor for me is they have ask us over for Christmas dinner when the girls open their presents. Next year along with thier dads I will be taking then down to the cabin where the girls can kill any deer they want. Talk about being BLESSED! I have made a deal with my local gun shop tp get special prices on a couple of TC Triumphs.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

FG, thats real nice of you to do that. it definitely put a smile on my face. i hope there passion for the sport is long lived.