Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Relaxation coming soon >

Relaxation coming soon

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Relaxation coming soon

Old 11-20-2008, 03:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Relaxation coming soon

Awww Sunday, 3 more days, and I will be up the cabin relaxing and getting ready for the 3 day bear season. I have my speed loaders ready to go. I'm going to be using my 50 cal. percussion GM LRH and a 300 gr shock wave over 100 gr of FFg. Going to try and do it the old fashion way this year. (I got 3 with my 45-70.)
Seems that with black bear hunting I like to transgress back in time. (Except I much prefer my Thinsulate jacket over buckskins....)
Old 11-20-2008, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Relaxation coming soon

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Awww Sunday, 3 more days, and I will be up the cabin relaxing and getting ready for the 3 day bear season. I have my speed loaders ready to go. I'm going to be using my 50 cal. percussion GM LRH and a 300 gr shock wave over 100 gr of FFg. Going to try and do it the old fashion way this year. (I got 3 with my 45-70.)
Seems that with black bear hunting I like to transgress back in time. (Except I much prefer my Thinsulate jacket over buckskins....)
When you "drive up" to your hunting place on a horse, camp open fire with no sleeping bag in buck skins and use bear grease for a lube, then your doing it the "old fashion way". That is precisely the logic of "old fashion" as to why some wanna shoot PRB instead of sabots from their FL and sidelocks, but will drive up to their favorite hunting spot in a 4 wheel drive truck and a 4 wheeler. Doesn't make sense to me, but that is just me. Where do you draw the line on "old fashion", the 50 cal percussion will be a good challenge, especially in the snow and freezing rain. I am thinking of getting a "Guide Gun" in 45-70, since that is basically an "in line MLer" ballistics wise, and then shoot Garrett bullets. Why? I wanna "just cause I can".
Chap
Old 11-20-2008, 07:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Good luck bear hunting.. stay safe and shoot true. You will be fine, and I am sure will have a good story for us, whether or not you get one.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:56 AM

i WOULD MUCH PREFER TO USE MY OLE MATCH LOCK RIFLE
Old 11-20-2008, 03:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well have a little bit of snow this morning - about 1/2". The weatherman said more flurries this afternoon with no significant accumulation. Well its about 5:15 pm and I am looking at about 3" of insignifcant accumulation and no signs of it stopping. Chap - still be using my percussion. If it had a slow twist I would use the PRB. But being that it has a 1:28 twist the PRB wouldn't shoot worth a darn. And being that I shipped my last batch of 320 gr REALs to Yakfisher so he can try them in his rifle and I am sighted in with the Shock Waves, that's what I'm using.
And I am going to we wearing polypropelene longies and Arctic Shield H3 jacket, camo jeans and boots with 800 grams of Thinsulate. And if its raining, I may not even get out of the cabin.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

hey bronko, where abouts in pa do you hunt bears. I use to live in pa and I hunted all over the state. I miss Pa bear season. In my opinion it is what hunting should be.Let us know if you get one.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree bronko. I really wonder sometimes how those mountain men and explorerscould make it. I go out in the bitter cold in my Sorrel Dominator boots good to -100ยบ and my insulated over pants, inner insulated jacket, big outer jacket, and go on a stand and shiver. They stuffed grass in their boots and wore skins over their feet...

I am not a pioneer. I am a wimp. I like my creature comforts. We got about four inches of snow today and it is getting cold again tonight. Just the thought of sitting in that charcoal lined ground blind where your breath freezes to the walls, makes me shiver. Good luck with that bear. I really hope you get a chance at one.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:25 AM
Typical Buck

I know what you are saying Dave it gets harder every year to leave the warm house and face that cold Wisconsin winter.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well it was funny yesterday. We had snow flurries in the morning and driving home the weatherman said we would have more flurries in the afternoon but it shouldn't amount to much. Well I got home about 3:00 and the wife was going up for a shower to get ready for her party so I laid down on the sofa to take a nap. I woke up about an hour later and there was 3" of snow on the ground. I asked my wife if I slept for a month??? These "flurries" continued through the night and this morning there was about 5" of them. At least today its about 36 degrees and it is melting off the roads and walkways.

Wimuzzleman - I hunt in Clinton county. We have a camp along Hyner Run.
I have a 'secret' crossing. I've shot 3 bear there in the past 10 years. I've also shot a few buck. All basically from the same log. I have a nice comfy seat in the old canopy of that fallen tree. But the tree/log is beginning to rot away. The first year it came down, I was sitting in this 'seat' and shot an 8 pt that was eating the acorns off the branches. I do believe it is my lucky spot. You know, the one we all have and feel confident whenever we sit there?
Old 11-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Spike

Tomorrow opens the Wi gun deer season, my first with a ML. Going with CVA Kodiak Pro 45. I've had my gear ready for 2 weeks. Just have to pass off the kids when the wifes done with work, and off to the cabin!

Quick Reply: Relaxation coming soon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.