Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Question On Scopes And Eyeglasses >

Question On Scopes And Eyeglasses

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question On Scopes And Eyeglasses

Old 11-19-2008, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default Question On Scopes And Eyeglasses

My gun shoots fantastic but when I adjust the focus with out glasses it is perfect focus but when I wear my glasses when hunting the focus is only about 90 percent in focus and not as clear with glasses as without them.I tried to adjust the scope while wearing glasses and still wont be quite as clear as with the naked eye.Just wondering if anyone else experiences this or not.I have a Burris compact scope and it is a good scope so I just dont know.Man getting old is a dog but thats life.Thanks for any input! Mike
Old 11-19-2008, 08:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Question On Scopes And Eyeglasses

Well I shoot with glasses as well. And I adjust the back of the scope to be in focus with my glasses and never seem to have a problem. I am wondering if you are looking further then the focal point of the scope and that is why you feel the need for adjustment. Personally, I know little about scopes and their features. Sabotloader is much better able to explain scopes then me.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have the same problem vaslugger. I can get a much sharper image in the scope if I adjust it to my naked eye rather than with my glasses on. So that's what I do. I slip my glasses off to take a shot.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Spike

When I picked out my last scope which is a Burris 3x9 for my muzzleloader, I picked out the scope that was the sharpest while I had my glasses on. There were a couple of other Burris scopesthere thatwere not sharp at all so I gave them to my son to look through and get his opinion. He doesn't wear glasses and he thought the one I picked as the sharpest was the worst. So yes, it does make a difference whether you wear glasses or not.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

It makes sense that the image would not be as clear. Glasses just add another lense to the system, reducing light transfer. Your glasses probably have some scratches too.

Many people don't realize that scopes need to be focused for the user's eye. I shoot with glasses, and if a person with good eyesight (no correction) looks through my scope they think the scope is not very clear.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had to readjust my scopes this year. I only use reading glasses but i had to adjust to meet my sight needs.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:52 AM
Fork Horn

If you are near sighted, you are not going to be able to get as clear picture out of a lot of scopes(As stated by somebody earlier,it changes the focal length of the scope). If you move the rifle away from your shoulder, I bet the image will get better. The problem is when you do that the feild of view decreases. This doesn't seem to affect me in the field, only at the target range. The other thing I have found out is that you have to be careful adjusting the focus on some scopes. It can reduce your eye relief and cause the scope to pop you in the eyebrow!!! I had this problem on my Nikon Buckmaster scope. I leave it adjusted for my naked eye sight and I don't have a problem. When I am at the range I don't use my perscription glasses. As I said before, I don't seem to notice it as much when I am hunting. I do use my perscription glasses or contacts when I hunt. If I don't wear them, I can't pick on movement as well.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:00 AM

Is that why sometimes in some scopes it looks to be 2 sets of cross hairs
touching each other to me with my glasses on??? I do not have this problem with all scopes...So is it better to get a scope with a longer eye relief then....Now you got me curious....John
Old 11-20-2008, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

I know this may seem strange, but this effect seems less with my cheaper scopes. I do not notice it on my Bushnells, but on the Nikons, it is pretty pronounced. I think because the more expensive scopes have better lenses andcorrect for parrellax error and I think this messes with your eyeglass script. All I know is it just sucks getting old, but the alternative is a lot worse!!
Old 11-20-2008, 09:26 AM
Dominant Buck

When I used to wear contacts I never had that problem at all with scopes. Then I developed this terrible need for bifocals and that was the end to it all. I tried the contacts with the built in bifocal and it about drove me crazy.

Yakfisher.. I learned the hard way about that adjustment thing with my Sightron S1. I adjusted that thing to match my glasses and it smack the snot out of me. [:@]

Quick Reply: Question On Scopes And Eyeglasses

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.