Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Your favorite .50 Cal slugs? >

Your favorite .50 Cal slugs?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Your favorite .50 Cal slugs?

Old 11-19-2008, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Your favorite .50 Cal slugs?

Hey everyone. I just joined the muzzleloader club a few minutes ago. It was hard to find one but I just purchased a Remington Genesis Black. Apparently there's a rumor that Remington is discontinuing this model.... I'm not sure about that but I know that a lot of people are sold out and even Cabelas is not backordering any of them.

I got some Remington Kleanbore Primers and some Pyrodex 50/50 Pellets. I was wondering what everyones favorite slug is? .50 Cal only please since that's what this gun is.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Your favorite .50 Cal slugs?

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

Hey everyone. I just joined the muzzleloader club a few minutes ago. It was hard to find one but I just purchased a Remington Genesis Black. Apparently there's a rumor that Remington is discontinuing this model.... I'm not sure about that but I know that a lot of people are sold out and even Cabelas is not backordering any of them.

I got some Remington Kleanbore Primers and some Pyrodex 50/50 Pellets. I was wondering what everyones favorite slug is? .50 Cal only please since that's what this gun is.
I like 300g Nosler Partitions HG, 300g Barnes MZ, 300g Speer Gold Dot hand gun bullets, 300g Barnes Origonals, and 300g Barnes TSX FlatNose part number 45843. I like "strongbullets" that hold together well and penetrate well. I like 300g sincethey shoot thru and 250g have a tendency to be under the skin on off side. I dislike fragmenting bullets, I dislike bullets that don't expand well andpencil thrudeer on close shots.My logic is
accuracy is king
penetration is queen
expansion is prince
and shoot thru is princess. You need the whole court for a "strong bullet", take one factor and without it the bullet is "not good".
Noking, poor bullet in your gun don't shootit
no queen, gotta get into the vitals to kill at least12 inches of penetration
no prince and you got a long training job, and sometime unrecoved deer
no princessand you got poor recovery because of no blood trail, expecially from a tree stand.
Best low cost bullet is Speer Gold Dot 300g
Best ML bullet is Barnes MZ
Best longrange bullet is Barnes Origonal with BC of .291
Best close range bullet and all aound do it all to 175 yards is Nosler partion. These are just my opinions, but been there fulmbled LOTS of times so the these are the school hard knocks speaking (i.e lost deer).
Chap
Old 11-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Welcome to the forum.. I have a Genesis Stainless/Black with a 1x scope. The 1x32mm is the only legal scope in Wisconsin for muzzleloader season. Some of the loads I have found my rifle likes (I only got it a couple weeks ago) is 250 grain shockwaves, 300 grain .44 caliber XTP's in a green harvester crushed rib sabot, 300 grain .45 caliber .458 Speer Gold Dot HP with 100 grains of Pyrodex P in an orange MMP sabot.

So far about anything I try in the rifle seems to shoot well. I just wanted a load worked up to shoot whitetail with. That Speer HP is a sweet shooter.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Have been using the 240 grain .430 XTP bullet in my CVA Stag Horn since 2000 and my CVA MagHunter since i bought it in 2003. The sabot is either the green Knight one or the short black sabot that is no longer made. Have killed a lot of deer and dozens of hogs with that bullet and either 100 grain of loose Pyrodex RS or two 50 grain Pyrodex pellets. Also killed several deer and quite a few hogs with 90-110 grains of JSG and the 250 grain SST/Shockwave fired from my Encore.

This year i switched to Goex Pinnacle for all my loads.

The vast majority ofthe animals that i have shot with my muzzleloaders have been bang flops.Over 90 percengt ofmy hogs and deer have been killed at ranges of25-75 yards.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

So you guys are using a smaller than .50 Cal slug in a .50 Cal ML????
Old 11-19-2008, 06:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Are you required to shoot conicals where you live? What we are shooting is sabots with a projectile. If you have to shoot conicals, I would not know at this time what to suggest to you to use. I would probably start with some Great Plains Conicals, and some BullShop Conicals..
Old 11-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

When shooting my optima elite I use 250gr shock waves bonded,I was shooting the 250gr power belts out of it before. My white shooting system g series whitetail I use tc maxi 370gr and my Remington 700ml likes 250gr barnes expander mz. I get great accuracy out of them.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Are you required to shoot conicals where you live? What we are shooting is sabots with a projectile. If you have to shoot conicals, I would not know at this time what to suggest to you to use. I would probably start with some Great Plains Conicals, and some BullShop Conicals..
No, there's no specific bullet we have to shoot here.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Dominant Buck

If sabots are allowed, then I would look into some of them. Generally I like conicals and have no problem hunting with them. Especially at shorter ranges, I feel a conical can be a much better projectile. BUT if you have any distance to shoot, a sabot might serve you better.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

So you guys are using a smaller than .50 Cal slug in a .50 Cal ML????
Hey SWT, the caliber thing can confuse someone new to muzzleloaders.

For a .50 caliber gun, you can use .50 caliber bore size "conicals". Take a look at the Hornady Great Plains bullets, CVA Buckslayers,PowerBelts, and Harvester Sabertoothbullets in the link below. They are "conicals".

You can also shoot .45, .44, and other smaller bullets in a .50 caliber rifle by using sabots designed for each specificcaliber. The link also shows a variety of saboted bullets, and sabots.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=5&cate goryId=7933&categoryString=10635***

Quick Reply: Your favorite .50 Cal slugs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.