HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   BH209 hangfire problems (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/274317-bh209-hangfire-problems.html)

bowbender6 11-18-2008 07:28 PM

BH209 hangfire problems

I have shot over 4 jars of BH209 with little problems in an Omega, 3 Optimas, Kodiak, Traditions Lightning –bolt, and CVA Mag Hunter with little problem. This last week I have been verifying my hunting loads before and during the season with my daughter’s .45 Kodiak and my Omega. The weather has been wet damp and cold. Tonight I was 22 degrees and the first ten shot with Kodiak went off fine, then I started to get hang fires. I even drilled out the breech plug to .035" and still hangfires. My omega even had a hangfire this last weekend. The Kodiak was shot with 86 gr BH209 with 200 gr shockwave. The omega was 120 gr BH209 290 TMZ bullet .035 breech plug hole. All were shot with Federal 209A primer. Anyone else had these problems? Does Blackhorn have problems when it gets cold? I did shoot one load of 8 gr of T7 under 80 grains of BH209 and had no hangfire. Should I try a magnum primer or different primer?

cayugad 11-18-2008 09:44 PM

RE: BH209 hangfire problems

Whether BlackHorn 209 has a problem when it gets cold and damp is a question that a lot of people have been wondering. If you've shot that much off, then you're a lot more qualified then I am to determine what is causing your problems. I shot it out of a couple rifles and had just a few hangfires in my Black Diamond but that is because of the breech plug.

UncleNorby 11-19-2008 05:52 AM

BH claims their powder is not affected by temperature. The only thing they say about primers is to use standard 209s and not to use "muzzleloading" 209s. Are 209A a "standard" 209? I guess I would try another brand of 209 first to see if that helps.

UncleNorby 11-19-2008 06:28 AM

209A are hotter than standard 209. That could well be the cause of the hangfire, if the hotter primer actually moves the bullet a bit before ignition can occur as it is supposed to. BH recommends standard 209.

spaniel 11-19-2008 06:37 AM

I do not have insight into your problem (the hot primer idea has some merit I think) but I call BS on any company that says their powder is not affected by temperature. All powders are affected by temperature to some degree. Even smokeless.

bowbender6 11-19-2008 07:19 AM

More info on last night-

I ran a .035" drill through the breech after I started getting hangfires, still had hangfires. I had some hangfires in another converted gun with Fed209A primers. I tried some Win primers and got no hangfires in that gun. I thought the Fed 209A was one of the hottest primers but the Win 209 worked better in one of my guns. Maybe there is a difference in the amount of energy and the hotness or ability to ignite BH209. I will try some Win tonight.

I have a walkout basement with a range right there and leave the gun outside when shooting. I was shooting a .45 Kodiak Nickel barrel. I tried the 200 shockwave with the supplied green sabot (which is tight) and with the Blue Crush Rib .45-.40 sabot (which is very loose). The bullet was seated several times with over 50lbss of pressure, it didn’t seem to matter, both had hangfires. Maybe when it is cold there is some condensation in the barrel after the shot?

One shot even went fizzle and the bullet only went 10 feet. These were loads that were shooting 1” groups with no problem a month ago.

Lefse 11-19-2008 07:48 AM

I left my Endeavor loaded, complete with primer, outside over night. It was fifteen degrees. No hangfire and impact was exactly as it was in eighty degree weather. I left all the loading components outside too. Just shot the two shots. It was one inch at 100 yds. The sabot was quite a bit harder to load when it was cold. I was shooting 100 gr 209 with 200 gr SW. cci primer. regular, not magnum. I don't know what could cause your hangfires. I am on my third jug. No hangfires. Also worked up a load with a friends Omega. Shot most of a jug, no problems. He was is Alaska hunting and didn't have time. He shot a Dall sheep, Grizzly, Wolverine, and Wolf. Had a good hunt.