Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How do you deal?

Old 11-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default How do you deal?

how do you guys deal with the excitment of the up comming deer season? My deer season starts on the 22nd and I am already going nuts I get my kodiak out every night just to handle it. I look at my topo map every night. I go through my night before check list every night and it is driving my woman crazy. All i talk about is hunting and its also all i think about. How do you guys deal with it?
Old 11-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you deal?

Garuanteed you will forgewt something[:-] I just figure I'll be losing sleep until then. IfI do not get excited I will quit hunting. To me this is better than the holidays, birthdays and all that stuff. I have been doing and acting likethis for 40+ years and people now my wife and daughter just look at the lunatic in the corner. Nope I hope I never lose it!
Old 11-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

I feel your pain, our gun seasondoesnt start until Dec.1 and im packed and ready to go...............
and our ML season isnt until Dec. 27......
Old 11-15-2008, 03:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wimuzzleman

This sound stupid but i hunt before the season starts.... i go to several of my different hunting spots and stelphully (sneak) in out of te area and make observations
Old 11-15-2008, 04:10 PM
Dominant Buck

I used to be the same way, but after many years of hunting in the Wisconsin cold conditions.. I find the warm bed a real comfort and it is harder to move out in the mornings..

I was one of them panic packers actually. I used to work two jobs most the time and never had time to think about hunting.

[hr]

On the night before season, all through the house I was running and searching for all things about.

The rifles were resting inthe corners of walls, while sleeping bags, back packs, and blaze orange clothing clutterd the halls.

Grocery bags piled with all kinds of junk, were waiting for me to just load up the trunk.

After all things were loaded it was then off to bed, but sleep never came as I rested my head. And then from my dresser there rose such a clatter, that 3 am alarm clock that was the matter.

As I sat on the bed there, still half asleep. I pulled on my woolies and bundled my feet. I stumbled and snort and passed me some gas. As I stumble out to the car just like all seasons past.

And finally with all thing I'm sure in its place I head out of town to my most secret place. Where big buck will wander and race through the woods. I know that this season just has to be good.

I'm finally there in the cold morning light, attemting to pack out my gear, what a site. And I stepin a cow pie and swear softly..He**ll and thenI remember... where are my shells???

[hr]

have a safe hunting season.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well unfortunately I don't have an antlered season to look forward to this year. For those that don't know, I got mine with the bow. I have 2 anterless tags that I will try to fill with the muzzy in the primative season after Christmas. I may just use one during the rifle season with the new Genesis.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

ok things just got worse. I went to go hang a stand yesterday and grabed my trail camera off the tree ( it has been there for a week) I got the pics back today and I have 3 pics of a ten point on it right where i hung the stand. The pics were all early morning. Now I really really cant wait. The only worry is its public land. People hunt around me but no one really near me. I guess they cant figure out how to get in the swamp. Oh one more thing. We leased a cabin this year And I was wondering if it would be better to load my gun the night before and leave it in the shed so the temp stays constintly cold instead of bringing it in the cabin and having it get warm then cold?
Old 11-16-2008, 03:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Taking a rifle into the cold normally does not produce the condensation we worry about. It is when you bring it back from the cold into a warm house. So while you might want to pop the primers through it the night before, so you do not have to do it in the morning and scare everyone to death, I'd just have the primers blown through and it ready to load, load it in the morning and go out early and shoot that big buck. Good luck.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:23 PM
FG

My .54 mountain rifle has been loaded since the Nov 13th on a clean barrel. Ive been taking it out scouting since then and even went through a snow storm with it on the 14th. I brought it back inside the house after each outing. I'll see how it fires off and how it hits the target.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:47 PM
FG

This rifle was loaded for 4 days with 80gr Pyrodex RS and brought inside the house after each scouting trip. Morn/evening. It got snowed on for 4 hours straight and came back inside when i was finished scouting in the AM and again, got snowed on heavier for another 4 hours during my late evening trip. Temps were between 16* and today being the hottest, 60*
Just took it outside to my 60 yard range,

Quick Reply: How do you deal?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.