Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Magnum XTP vs Gold dot >

Magnum XTP vs Gold dot

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Magnum XTP vs Gold dot

Old 11-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Magnum XTP vs Gold dot

ORIGINAL: keyshunter

Todd and Bronko,
First, if you read my original post you shouldnotethat I used a STANDARD XTP 300, not magnum. Second, 54 years of playing these games (although I did not start reloading until 1958) has shown me that what "should" be is not always what is. I am after reliable pass throughs with blood trails, and that has not happened with that bullet. Others may have different results. I once had a Rem 180 RN core-lokt fired from a .30-06 blow up on the brisket of a 130 lb. Pa whitetail. That bullet "should" have gone through him from end to end, but his lungs looked like they had been struck by aload of birdshot. Yet, at the time, that was my favorite bullet for Canadian moose. Stuff happens.

Sabotloader, and SHulionjoined this threadand usedtheir experience to try to help solve my problem.I really appreciate their help. You two on the other hand...

keyshunter, I've never shot a Gold Dot but would like to try them out. If you don't mind me makin a suggestion, try the Barnes 300gr Expander MZ.......pass thru and blood trail problems solved.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

sjsfire

you are correct with your statement that is why I shoot Noslers, but the cost of each of these bullets is extremly high when compared to the cost of the Gold Dot. For me I can not afford to shoot either the Barnes or the Nosler at paper or for recreation. But more importantly the Gold Dotwill mimick a lot of what either of those two premium bullets do.

As an example I watched, on TV, a guy out hunting elk with a pistol - I thought he was nuts, but it was one of those guided tours with a pro guide that got the elk into a relatively close distance.. the hunter shot the bull with a 454 using a 300 grain Gold Dot. The darn bull humped up and crumpled down on the spot... the guy shot off hand also, no rest... I decided it was a made for TV thing and it couldn't actually be true....and I still believe that.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

sjsfire

you are correct with your statement that is why I shoot Noslers, but the cost of each of these bullets is extremly high when compared to the cost of the Gold Dot. For me I can not afford to shoot either the Barnes or the Nosler at paper or for recreation. But more importantly the Gold Dotwill mimick a lot of what either of those two premium bullets do.

As an example I watched, on TV, a guy out hunting elk with a pistol - I thought he was nuts, but it was one of those guided tours with a pro guide that got the elk into a relatively close distance.. the hunter shot the bull with a 454 using a 300 grain Gold Dot. The darn bull humped up and crumpled down on the spot... the guy shot off hand also, no rest... I decided it was a made for TV thing and it couldn't actually be true....and I still believe that.
Understand, I need to order some Gold Dots and try for hunting. It sure would beat the $1+ per Barnes bullet. I don't exactly have deep pockets myself I just hunt with the Expanders. For fun I buy XTP's in bulk. I get this hunting season over I'll order some Gold Dots.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

sjsfire

Exactly what i do...

Although Cayugad found a Speer bullet that I did not even know they made... which MIGHT be better than a Gold Dot. Speer makes a 'special purpose' .458 (45-70) 300 grain bullet for the 450 marlin... It is a real rifle bullet and it is a Uni-core construction - essentially bonded... but it really might be to much bullet for a whitetail, but for bear, hogs, elk it could be a real keeper - somewhat expensive though at $30 for 50...