Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Barnes Origonal +1 >

Barnes Origonal +1

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Barnes Origonal +1

Old 11-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Barnes Origonal

ORIGINAL: Semisane

Yes they are coming out with more lead stories of how if you eat the meat, it can effect you. Well after all the years of me eating game I shot, I am in deep problem.
As I understand the effect Cayugad, eating game shot with lead bullets may cause you to buy and exorbitant number of muzzle loaders.

HeyChap, I though the Barnes "originals" had a lead core. Are they all copper?
Barnes Origonals do have a lead core, the copper jacket is .035 which is very thick, they seem to pancake a bit more than the noslers, but they break bone and go deep and provide shoot thru, so I like that. I also shoot the Barnes MZ 300g in my Omega, and in my savage I have a slow load of 1900 to 2000 fps with a Barnes Flatnose 300g TSX that is all copper, I love the hollow point on it, just like the MZ. It is a .458 bullet also. Anyway the Barnes Origonals have a BC of .291 so it gets out there with a lot of energy, actually enough energy to get to 300 yards and still kill well, I don't shoot that far but some do that know their gun well and practice.
Chap
Old 11-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Barnes Origonal

ORIGINAL: Gotbuck

That is some serious speed out of a muzzy and the bullet held well. Imagine the KE force that doe felt. I like the Shockwaves but man this can sway me to try these.
I will say 2350 is moving, but it is really no more recoil than my 30-06, but boy does it do the Hammer of Thor on the deer, I like the no tracking job.
Chap
Old 11-11-2008, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Barnes Origonal +1

Piled up another deer with the Barnes Origonal this AM about 6:45. 150 lb (hog dressed)7 point, quarting toward me. Didn't get a picture, big bodied deer, thought he was an 8 point. I shot him in the brisket from a tree stand at about 70 yards,hit right were the neck joins the shoulder, right above the brisket,exited right in front of the hind quarter. Destroyed the heart, not a boom flop, it ran30 yards with no heart, and piled up.Excellent penetration andshoot thru, excellent terminal performance. Chap
Old 11-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Typical Buck

i'd like to shoot the barnes in my triumph but they don't fit in the barrel. i had to hammer the last one out after i got it in ab out 3" and no further.
i have a bunch of the boattails. i'd like to try the flat base tmz so i can get a sabot to fir my gun.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:05 PM
Fork Horn

Yea Chap that is all I used to use in my muzzleloader is the 300 grain original and they are devasting on deer.My meat processor recommended that I change bullets as it was tearing up to much meat that had to be thrown away.The most accurate bullet I ever shot in my Model 700 but boy they were a dog to get down the barrel and especially in the field to get reloaded for a follow up shot if needed but it never was needed.Maybe Cayugad can tell me how they shot in his Genesis and how easy they were to push down the barrel.In 16 years of blackpowder hunting I have never seen any bullet perform like these.It is all I ever shot out of my slug gun or will ever shoot.Never had one go more than 10 feet but most all just drop on the spot with the Barnes slugs.Very expensive but worth the price! Mike