HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   T/C Hawkens (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/272298-t-c-hawkens.html)

SHulion 11-07-2008 09:42 AM

T/C Hawkens

I have a 50 cal. T/C Hawkens that my dad baught for me when I was a teenager. I haven't shot it in a long time but it is still in like new condition. I have some triple seven around that I don't use anymore in my inlines (Blackhorn convert). Anyway, I was think about taking it out and doing some shooting with it and maybe hunting with it a few times this year. Can you guys give me some loads that have worked for you. What about the T/C maxi balls? What is your bullet preference in this type of gun? Any info will be much appreciated since I haven't messed with this gun in quite some time. It's just a great gun and I hate to let it just sit there and collect dust. Here is a picture of the gun I am talking about.

cayugad 11-07-2008 09:48 AM

RE: T/C Hawkens

If you're going to shoot Triple Se7en make sure the fire channel is good and clean. If you start having hangfires, drop 10 grains of Goex or Pyrodex P down the barrel first before you load the 777.

Sometimes (not always) 777 can cause ignition problems. I do shoot it out of Traditional rifles. Some shoot it with no problems, so do not.

Start with 80 grains and use a .490 patched roundball. The 1-48 twist shoot patch and ball real well. If you want to plink, the 60 grains of powder will do the job. If you want to shoot maxiball try 60 grains of 777 and see how that works for you.

All you can do with these rifles is try different loads.

SHulion 11-07-2008 10:04 AM

Cayugad,

Does the Maxi ball require a patch or is it just a conical. Why did you only suggest 60 gr of powder with the Maxi-Ball? I do remember it shooting the .490 patched round ball really well. I would just love to kill a deer with this gun since it came from my dad. I never had the chance to shoot at one when I was younger. Any other projectiles that you would recommend.

cayugad 11-07-2008 11:55 AM

ORIGINAL: SHulion

Cayugad,

Does the Maxi ball require a patch or is it just a conical. Why did you only suggest 60 gr of powder with the Maxi-Ball? I do remember it shooting the .490 patched round ball really well. I would just love to kill a deer with this gun since it came from my dad. I never had the chance to shoot at one when I was younger. Any other projectiles that you would recommend.
No, the maxiball is a lubed conical and does not require a patch. Just dump the powder down the barrel and seat the bullet on top of the powder charge. The reason I suggested 60 grains is.. this would be a start. A lot of maxiball shoot real well in the 1-48 twist with a charge around 70-80 grains. Since 777 is 15% stronger then most powders, to start your finding the right load, you drop the charge a little. If you want to start at 70 that would be fine. My friend shoots 70 grain of Pyrodex RS and a maxiball out of his. He blew right through a LARGE buck that was 73 yards broadside. He said he never saw such a blood trail. He's even used this load on black bear. He said it is all he needs for that conical.

Some other conicals to try, Hornady Great Plains, Powerbelts, Bull Shop conicals (check with Sabotloader on this.. he can tell you a charge and the 460 grain conical he shoots out of his Renegade which is basically the same thign you have). And we shoot REAL concials that I cast out of ours. Most of my group shoots .54 caliber (because of me) and we shoot the 300 grain so in the .50 caliber case that would be the 280 grain. They also make a 320 grain you can cast. I have the molds but would have to see.. I think I shot them all up. And am waiting for some cool weather before I cast again.

SHulion 11-07-2008 12:42 PM

Thanks for all the help. I guess i will try the maxi ball with around 70 gr of powder. I can't wait to start trying it again. A couple of more questions. What is the difference between the maxi-ball and the maxi-hunter? What grain maxi-ball would suggest. and last. Is it even worth my time to mess with the powerbelts. I'm thinking they might be OK since I will not be pushing them that hard. What do you think. Again, thanks for all of your help.

cayugad 11-07-2008 01:19 PM

ORIGINAL: SHulion

Thanks for all the help. I guess i will try the maxi ball with around 70 gr of powder. I can't wait to start trying it again. A couple of more questions. What is the difference between the maxi-ball and the maxi-hunter? What grain maxi-ball would suggest. and last. Is it even worth my time to mess with the powerbelts. I'm thinking they might be OK since I will not be pushing them that hard. What do you think. Again, thanks for all of your help.
To be honest, I never was able to get a maxi hunter to shoot out of my rifles. I think they are a320 grains. I shoot Renegades and Hawkins, and I have yet to find one that will shoot them things. They have a hollow base and I think they are hollow point. Its been so long since I shot them. Now the maxiball are 370 grain. They have a flat base. Some people but a bore button or wonder wad between them and the powder. Some do not.

If you have no bore button and want to see what a wad would do for you, level the powder charge by tapping the butt of the rifle on your toe, then dump 10-20 grains of corn meal on top of your powder charge and then seat the maxiball on that. The corn meal will protect the conical when you fire. It might help, it might not. Or you can punch your own bore buttons out of 100% wool construction felt (from the lumber store) with a 1/2 hollow hole punch. I've even done it by sharpening the 1/2 copper pipe, but that was a PITA.

I have two 1-48 twist rifles that shoot powerbelts real well. They are expensive, but if they shoot well with about 80 grains of powder, they work good. According to some.

Personally I would shoot roundball. You work up a good roundball load and put that in the boiler room of a deer, and it will be dead deer time. Roundballs get a bad rap. Some even claim they are not a good projectile past 40 yards.. Well I have a friend that has dumped more deer with a .50 caliber roundball at 100 yards then I would care to drag out of the woods. And its funny, they do not seem to run that far for him. He does a shoulder shot, and it normally breaks them down and plants them real quick.

Another thing you can look for, but they are getting almost impossible to find is Buffalo Ball-ets. Again, no patch needed. They are 245 grain. You dump the powder and push one of them on the charge and they often times shoot real well. I bought a store (they were going out of business) out of their stock in them for a great price. I play with them in a lot of rifles..

bronko22000 11-07-2008 01:37 PM

Do what Cayugad says and you won't go wrong. Except if your Hawken is a Flintlock. If so, don't use Triple 7 or Pyrodex - use black powder.

SHulion 11-07-2008 01:44 PM

Thanks again. That's why I asked here. I was hoping Cayugad would see the post. I knew he had lot of first hand experience with these guns and was always willing to help. That should be all the info I need to get back to using this gun. I think I will try a patched round ball and a Maxi-Ball 370gr. Just to stay kind of traditional. If I want to shoot a more modern bullet I will shoot one of my inlines.

wetpwdr53 11-12-2008 06:46 AM

I've had a t/c renegade for 6 yrs. or so. It took a long time to finely find the bullet/powder charge that the gun liked. It seems that every rifle (even the same model) works best with a particular bullet/charge. The best combo for me is a t/c maxi ball in 320gr. with 85 gr. of fffg black powder. Now the only thing left is to kill a deer with it! Good luck

bronko22000 11-12-2008 10:01 AM

Another thing, A rifle that old may be dangerous. You better send it to me to scrap it. Send me a PM and I will give you my address. And just cause I'm a nice guy, I will even send you enough to cover the postage.