HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   QD scope mounts?............ (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/269873-qd-scope-mounts.html)

Pioneer2 10-25-2008 08:17 AM

QD scope mounts?............

Just a question reguarding quick detachable scope mounts.I installed two scope bases one on my son's TC Hawken .50 and the other my .54 Renegade, they are Weaver compatable.Weaver makes a QD set of rings that would make cleaning easier provided the scope doesn't lose it's zero whe reinstalled.What to do? Has anyone used these and how did it work out?Going with straight 4x scopes........Thanx Harold ***PS: what range should I sight in for .54 GM ball barrel and factory 1-48 .50 ?Not sure if using ball or conicle in that one depends on the kids recoil tolerance

cayugad 10-25-2008 09:05 AM

RE: QD scope mounts?............

I use the Warne QD rings on a number of rifles. They are on weaver mounts. I take the scopes off every time I clean the rifle, replace it and have yet to find the scope move off adjustment more then an inch. So if these Weaver QD rings are good quality there should not be a problem.

As for what distance to sight in will depend on the shooting circumstances you face. If some of your shots might be 100 yards then sight in for that distance. A roundball will still kill at that distance. Especially if placed in the proper place. If your shots are further then that, with a roundball you can stretch it a little more then 100 yards, but you are running into some dangerous area as the ball is really slowing down and loosing energy. Conicals are the same as roundball.

If your shots are closer then 100 yards, say 75 yards, again, that's a good distance. Where I hunt, most my shots are 50 yards or less. I sight my scopes in at 75 yards only because the drop difference is so low. I am then good to all distances and just a little low at 100 should that ever happen. So I aim then for the top of the kill zone..

Good luck and keep me posted as to how well that ball barrel does. I have a .58 caliber that is very accurate and would be a lot of fun with a scope on it.

Pioneer2 10-25-2008 09:37 AM

Thanx! I was hoping you were around.I'll likely go with the 75 yard deal as I won't be pushing things past 100 yards or so.I do like the TC one piece base #4300 8801 slightly offset to the left and solid.Still hovering around zero at nights and almost always -10 by Halloween.Everything open Nov 1 and this year I picked up a SuperMag deer hauler cart from Cabela's Post falls ID while down on holidays.Getting too darn stiff dragging deer 1/4 mile and packing moose quarters on my back.Speaking of whichI damned near hit one with my truck last Sunday coming back from grouse hunting in the foothills.The couple in the other lane nailed her and totalled their just brought up from the States Chev SUV.Lucky no one hurt or killed.The friggin airbags didn;t even deploy! The young lady in the wreck had to excuse herself to go strip as her underwear was full of glass!At least she had a sense of humour!!!When my son gets up I'll post some truck + moose pics.........The vehical came to a complete stop from 70 mph in about 3 car lengths..Harold

spaniel 10-25-2008 09:46 AM

Others' experience may differ, but I once had Leupold QD mounts on a ML and I could never tell the difference in POI when I took the scope off and put it back on. I shot that gun out to 300 yds too.

cayugad 10-25-2008 10:15 AM

The only WD rings I had problems with were Burris. I sent them back and Underclocked told me about Warne QD rings so I got them. I now have them on seven different rifles and just orders a pair for the Genesis. Most of the time they return to perfect. Once in a great while they will be a little off, but not much.

Mythbusters did a show on hitting moose. And no matter what they did or how they did it, the car lost. My little sister lived in Alaska outside Anchorage for five years, and moose were the number one concern where she lived. They were a danger to cars and more so just to people walking around. She even had to warn the kids because the moose wandered into the city and walked down the street. I always joked with her that they better not walk on my street when no one was around...

Pioneer2 10-25-2008 11:34 AM

Pigs can't fly but moose can!Cow went 25 yards airborn............DOA.....Harold

Underclocked 10-25-2008 12:10 PM

ouch!

Those Weaver QDs are not of the same quality as Warne or Leupold QR, but may work ok for you. Watch out for rough interiors and misalignment of the two rings.

MLKeith 10-25-2008 02:57 PM

One problem with airbags and animal impact is that they usually hit too high to set off the bumper sensors. We don't have moose in Arizona but the elk do a job on a vehicle. I was two vehicles behind a Chevy S-10 pickup that hit a small yearling elk. It pretty much destroyed the truck and drove the roof back about a foot. The two indian kids in the pickup were OK but covered with elk blood and glass. Bags did not deploy in that case either. Of interest; the bags should only deploy if you are going to get killed without them. If no one was killed the bags worked right. I spent some time fine tuning the bags on trucks and we don't want them to go off if you just hit a big bump off-road in the middle of nowhere. One of the other companies had their bags set too low and a big railroad crossing would set them off.