Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thor bullets

Old 10-20-2008, 07:03 PM
FG

Default Thor bullets

Ok now i know you wont shoot them due to cost and such but what are your thoughts on this bullets performance? Do you see any good accuracy, somewhat easy loading, Do you see it actually engraving the rifling? It has a big hollow base which i can see expanding but im not so sure about the rest of the bullet ballooning into the rifling when its fired.

Someone said the owner claimed 2.5" groups @ 500 yards. This i find really hard to believe, maybe a "Misprint" or an obvious yarn.

I love the barnes bullet but they only come in sabots until this Thor bullet hit the market. I would order some but i am a little iffy on a new product with no real backer behind it. I'll wait till i see some reports of people actually recieving their orders before i place mine.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thor bullets

ORIGINAL: FG

Ok now i know you wont shoot them due to cost and such but what are your thoughts on this bullets performance? Do you see any good accuracy, somewhat easy loading, Do you see it actually engraving the rifling? It has a big hollow base which i can see expanding but im not so sure about the rest of the bullet ballooning into the rifling when its fired.

Someone said the owner claimed 2.5" groups @ 500 yards. This i find really hard to believe, maybe a "Misprint" or an obvious yarn.

I love the barnes bullet but they only come in sabots until this Thor bullet hit the market. I would order some but i am a little iffy on a new product with no real backer behind it. I'll wait till i see some reports of people actually recieving their orders before i place mine.
http://dougva.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=Savage&action=display&thre ad=10341has a good discussion for the Savage, and we are very inerested in shooting sabotless in the Savage, bottom line is we believe it will shoot well at low charge, not high charges, I believe is the prevailing theory. The Hornady FPB did not shoot well in the Savage, the metal skirt at the bottom shredded, the Savage board folks think that will happen to also with this bullet. However with like 40g of 5744, it will probably shoot well. I think it will work well in most BP guns with 777, JSG, Prodex, etc, since most are easily ignited and the skirt at the bottom will engage the rifling. These are Barnes bullets, made bore size for each brand of MLer (great idea). Cost is higher than regular Barnes. Oh if you wanna shoot a good Barnes bullet for under $1 each, the 45843 Flat Nose Rifle bullet shoots great in my Savage and Omega and is about $17 for 20 of them, and they have the huge hollow point of the Barnes MZ. I use the Crushed Rib sabot (.452 diameter)with the this45/70 bullet, you could also use a MMP Orange, as Sabotloader does with his Nosler Rifle bullets. I plan on usingthese Barnes45/70 bulletssome this year, they are awsome.
Chap

Old 10-20-2008, 07:23 PM
FG

wow if thats what they will do in an animal, i'll sure give them a try in the ol Optima. It has a .501" bore so i am thinking a .502" will do.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't heard anyone say, are these things over 1 inch long?
Old 10-20-2008, 07:44 PM
FG

good point, i never thought of that
Old 10-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good question TN. I will write thor bullets and ask them.

Also, I will ask him if the bullets he is selling currently have the plastic tip in place. The product line calls them "hollow points". I will let you know what he says.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, unfortunately I got an email back and he says that both the 250 and the 300 gr are over 1 inch with the tip in place. However, the 250 gr is under an inch if you remove the tip. Guess that loses me as a potential buyer since I really was hoping to hunt elk with them and the 300 was the smallest I would consider using. Darn Guess it will stay the FPB for now.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txhunter58

Well, unfortunately I got an email back and he says that both the 250 and the 300 gr are over 1 inch with the tip in place. However, the 250 gr is under an inch if you remove the tip. Guess that loses me as a potential buyer since I really was hoping to hunt elk with them and the 300 was the smallest I would consider using. Darn Guess it will stay the FPB for now.
Well that stinks[&o] Though I'm thoroughly content w/the performance and accuracy of Bullshops, it would be nice to see some more options for CO hunters.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

If the lead ban continues to gain momentum we may all be shooting some sort of non-lead bullets in the future, nice to see there are some more choices comming on line.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

FG
I posted about the 500 yard group
This was told to me by Terry,the owner.
I have some on the way for you to try.
I am not positive but I think the ones I am getting are 506
He said they need to fit tight and have very consistant seating pressure

Quick Reply: Thor bullets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.