HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   If you could only own one bp rifle.... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/267538-if-you-could-only-own-one-bp-rifle.html)

edelsite 10-11-2008 11:26 AM

If you could only own one bp rifle....

If $500 was your cap and you could only buy one bp rifle for hunting what would you choose?

DeerandbearhoG 10-11-2008 11:36 AM

RE: If you could only own one bp rifle....

I bought my Savage 10ml(smokeless) and never looked backed. It was 600$ for SS/Lam. but I think a blued/ syn. can be had for under 500$ . If I lived in a state w/ smokeless restrictions, I would buy a knight or try to find a used White 97.

falcon 10-11-2008 11:52 AM

If i lived out in the boonies far from civilization, i would want a TC Black Diamond along with a couple spare parts. The rest of the $500 would go for powder, sabots, bullets and caps.

FG 10-11-2008 12:00 PM

ORIGINAL: falcon

If i lived out in the boonies far from civilization, i would want a TC Black Diamond along with a couple spare parts. The rest of the $500 would go for powder, sabots, bullets and caps.
There you go! Now we got someone thinking right :D

what good does a $500 rifle do when ya cant buy the rest of the stuff you need.

I have 2 flintlocks sitting in the corner due to no powder. What good is a flinter when i cant afford the drive to go get some?

I'll take my cva .54cal mountain rifle ($175) and spend the rest of a few small replacement parts and the rest on powder,patch material and caps. I mold my own round balls for it

TNHagies 10-11-2008 12:04 PM

ORIGINAL: edelsite

If $500 was your cap and you could only buy one bp rifle for hunting what would you choose?
If I was forced down to just one. I'd get a 700ML. I think it's legal in every state and it'll shoot everything.

Rebel Hog 10-11-2008 12:22 PM

I will have my Knight "Wolverine" to the day I'm gone...:)

burntmuch 10-11-2008 02:58 PM

MY Omega X7

mountaineer magic 10-11-2008 03:30 PM

At least that's an easy one to answer. If it was an inline it would be my Triumph. If it was a Traditional it would be my 54 cal. Lyman Great Plains. And between the 2 I would take the Great Plains over the inline and add the extra Great Plains Hunter barrel with 1 in 32 twist ( though that's not really necessary unless you want to shoot over a 100 yards)). My Lyman is deadly accurate ,inexpensive to shoot and easy to maintain.

cayugad 10-11-2008 03:34 PM

Of all my rifles, ifI could only keep one (inline) it would be my White Ultra Mag .504 as it will shoot sabots as well as any rifle out there, and there are few rifles that can match it with conicals... Plus it is built like a tank.

HEAD0001 10-11-2008 03:44 PM

If I could only have one MZ it would have to be my Lyman LH flinter. It is accurate to 100 yards with no problem. It is legal to use in all the states I hunt. And it is by far the most "FUN" gun to shoot that I have. Tom.