Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 If you could only own one bp rifle.... >

If you could only own one bp rifle....

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

If you could only own one bp rifle....

Old 10-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: If you could only own one bp rifle....

White G-Series Whitetail Stainless Steel B&C stock cal .504 with Lyman 57 SME receiver sight.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

FG - if you can't shoot those flinters, you can send them to me. I have lots of BP to shoot off.
Now if I had to have only one BP rifle I would go to a gun shop and find a nice T/C Renegade or Hawken flinter (used) and then order me a 50 cal Green Mountain Long Range Hunter barrel.
Hmmm.. come to think of it I have 3 of them just like that.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Spike

I noticed several people picked White MZ as a fav pic. Never heard of them so I did a search on gunbroker to see what they look like. I found several, but it looks like they are patterned after the older style of mz rifles with open breech. From those of you who picked them....what puts the White mz above all your other pics?Do they have outstanding accuracy?
Old 10-11-2008, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: edelsite

I noticed several people picked White MZ as a fav pic. Never heard of them so I did a search on gunbroker to see what they look like. I found several, but it looks like they are patterned after the older style of mz rifles with open breech. From those of you who picked them....what puts the White mz above all your other pics?Do they have outstanding accuracy?
Yes, they do. They really shine with pure lead conicals,,and handle sabots well also.

I'll stick with my White Super 91s..[8D]
Old 10-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Dominant Buck

In my White Ultra Mag I shoot 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f, a wad and a 500 grain all lead conical. There has not been the whitetail born that can take that load of lead and walk away. They are very accurate.

Sabotloader took his Ultra Mag and began to show us White owners just how accurate they are with sabots. Now he has me shooting sabotsas well. The rifle is built like a tank, all heavy made and you can shoot the devil out of them. And they just take more.

You'd have to shoot one to really appreciate them. Their simplicity is their greatest appeal to me. No drop actions, they shoot #11 caps and loose powder, and they do it very well. I actually own three of them. Another Model 97 in a .451 caliber and a White Bison in .504 caliber. All of them are great shooters.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of my White Super 91's as well - .451 for conical only (less selection for 45 cal sabots) - .504 if I thought I needed to shoot sabots as well.

Steve
Old 10-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Spike

U-Mag .504, Just plain simple and deadly
Old 10-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: edelsite

Several of us have been bitten by the "White Muzzleloader bug". I have a couple of 97 Whitetail Hunters (one in .504 and one in .451), a U-Mag in .504 and a .504 Thunderbolt with the 98 bolt to convert if I want. As stated they are beautifully manufactured and very sturdy. I have not shot mine as much as a lot of the owners but the performance has to be experienced to be appreciated. The company has gone in and out of business several times and at present is only supplying parts and bullets but they claim to be going to supply rifles again in the future. Doc White founded the company and the last time I talked with him he had little confidence that it would get back in business.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:21 AM
Spike

I did another interenet search and I think I found the company that makes them, but it appears you're right...they are not making rifles right now. They did have a used rifle section, but every single rifle was sold. The way you guys talk about these rifles makes me want to try one out. If I can't find one reasonably, then it seems the other choices that seem to be at the top are the Thompsons and the Knights.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also would take my Remington 700 54 cal if I could only have one.

Might be old and out dated by todays standards but you can buy nice used ones for half that $500.00 with a nice scope. The rest you can spend on powder & bullets. Things shoot just about any thing you stuff down the bore with athourty.

But you can't be lazy and not clean them.

Al

Quick Reply: If you could only own one bp rifle....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.