HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   blackhorned caused rust (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/267414-blackhorned-caused-rust.html)

outdoorsmen 10-10-2008 10:45 AM

blackhorned caused rust

yeah shot my triumph weathershield about 3 weeks ago and didn't clean the barrel after i was done to see if it lived up to it's claims. well i just got it out and it all rusty in the barrel. not happy at all.

Semisane 10-10-2008 10:54 AM

RE: blackhorned caused rust

That's disappointing. First report of rust with BH that I've seen. Maybe no one else has reported it because it's not "supposed" to do that and they figured their case was an anomaly.

bowbender6 10-10-2008 11:39 AM

I get what looks like rust on my CVA’s with the nickel finish after about one week if left uncleaned. Seems to come off but the nickel is stained. I am not sure it is rust. My Omega and my other stainless barrels are fine left uncleaned. I think we are still learning with BH209

falcon 10-10-2008 11:42 AM

yeah shot my triumph weathershield about 3 weeks ago and didn't clean the barrel after i was done to see if it lived up to it's claims.

Any barrel will rust under the right conditions no matter what powder is used.Have seen the bores of high power rifle barrels rust in a few days in high humidity.

formula1 10-10-2008 11:45 AM

I don't think the Blackhorn folks said anything about letting the gun sight to see if it rusts. I don't do that to my centerfire. I'm not try to be a pain, just trying to be fair.

Actually,hereis what Blackhorn says and pay attention to #2 and #8:

1) Superior Ballistics and Unbeatable Accuracy
2) Noncorrosive and Low Residue
Blackhorn 209 is the first and only noncorrosive muzzle- loading propellant. It is specifically designed to be free of solid and sticky residues that lead tocorrosion with other propellants. This revolutionary feature also assures that Blackhorn 209 will not leave a crud ring that can damage sabots andaffect accuracy.
3) No Swabbing Between Shots
4) Easy Breech Plug Removal
5) No Special Primers Required
6) Not Affected by Temperature or Humidity
7) Uniform Size - "Good to the last shot"
8) Immediate Cleaning Not Necessary
Blackhorn 209 is noncorrosive and virtually free of solid residue. Only a thin film of soot remains in the barrel, which will not harm your muzzleloader.There is no need to clean your barrel immediately after use. However, as with all firearms, we recommend using at least one wet patch of solvent after
shooting to protect your barrel from moisture.
9) Cleans with Regular Solvents
10) Extended Shelf Life

Semisane 10-10-2008 11:50 AM

I'm not try to be a pain, just trying to be fair.
I don't want to be fair formual1.:D I keep trying to find reasons to not pay the price for BlackHorn. :D:D

Gotbuck 10-10-2008 11:55 AM

You've got some big ones if you leave your gun uncleaned after usuage especially a Triumph.I would never even attempt such a feat.You have proved that an unclean barrell will rust even if a powder company says it would not. I suspect that the moisture as mentioned previously did you in at the tune of 300 plus dollars. Is the rust thick or can you clean it out with a wire brush?

UncleNorby 10-10-2008 12:00 PM

You didn't clean your gun for 3 weeks because of the powder you used?

What about the fact that you left it unprotected for 3 weeks? The powder may not have caused the rust but no powder will PREVENT rust.

bronko22000 10-10-2008 03:55 PM

IMO, no matter what you use to treat your barrel, gun oil, bore butter or whatever, - I think after firing, especially a couple of times, you are going to burn off that protective coating.
Now, mix a bare unprotected barrel withresidue and humidity and you are just asking for trouble.
And by the way, ain't no way I will pay the price for BH powder. I do perfectly fine with Pyrodex and Goex.

FG 10-10-2008 03:59 PM

you sure is was the powder and not the barrel itself? This isnt the first post ive seen where the weathershield barrel was rusting no matter how it was cleaned.