Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Remington Genesis at Cabelas >

Remington Genesis at Cabelas

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Remington Genesis at Cabelas

Old 10-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Remington Genesis at Cabelas

Hey guys. Cabela's has a good deal on a Genesis in the Christmas catalog.

With a $35MFR's rebate, I got the blue/black gun for $100, not including shipping. Never owned an in-line. I didn't even know I wanted one, but figured if I don't like it I can sell it for what i paid.

Anyway, if anyone out there has one or has shot one, please let me know what you think of the gun's function/performance. I'm wanting to know what folks think of the design, cleaning, ease of priming/primer removal, that thing that closes over the primer, accuracy, etc.

I'm not looking for comments on the materials. I already know I bought plastic and pot metal.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Remington Genesis at Cabelas

Nobody has one??
Old 10-10-2008, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's a few here that have one. For the most part, it sounds like a decently made gun. It's not T/C or Knight quality, but for $100 I would think you got a heck of a deal and you should be happy with what you got. One of the bigger complaints I've heard about is is that if you don't wipe down the torch cam area every 5-7 shots it will stick shut. That's about all I know. I'm sure someone else can chime in here and help you out more.

Vince
Old 10-10-2008, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't own one but have handled one. I've got to admit that it had a good feel to it. I have read one negative about it that the flip open chamber has a tendency to foul up rather quickly and can get sticky, but that is about it. Sure many will say that guns like CVA and Traditions (which makes this Remington) are nothing but pot metal, but I have seen them shoot pretty darn good groups and they will surely kill a deer just as dead as a gun costing 5 times more. That is all that counts in my book. If I want to look at something pretty I will go look at women.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

What is fouling the torch cam, primer residue or powder residue?

I may shoot BH 209, and if powder residue is the problem that may cure it.

Either way, I don't have a problem cleaning it off at the range, and I don't plan shooting more than once or twice in the woods.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:50 AM
mountaineer magic

I bought one 3 or 4 years ago and have taken over a dozen deer with it. It was one of my favorite in-lines till I got my Triumph. Mine shot extremely well without much effort needed to work up a load. I took deer with it out to 120 yard w/o a scope and 150 yards with a scope. I really liked it and just gave it to my wife this year. The primer will foul the breech cam and make it hard to open after a while, I grease the bottom of the cam where it closes and then it flips open with no problem. I think it is a good gun and for the price you got a good deal. Mine shoots great, is extremely accurate and cleans easy.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks.

Reviews I have read indicate the gun should shoot well, and some noted the sticky cam. That seems like a minor issue.

One reviewer complained about a ramrod cleaning attachment. Said it was a bad design that bent.

Time will tell. Should get it today or maybe tomorrow.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Spike

I was looking at buying one as well since they are offering the rebate, but I got to handle one with a scope already mounted and I noticed two things I didn't like about it. First, the upward swing of the cam comes very close to the scope and is hard to manipulate with a scope installed. I imagine it'll be even more of a pain with gloves on. Second, the scope bases are drilled very close to each other on this gun. When the rings and scope are installed there is very little room to move the scope fore-aft to get a perfect sight picture. If you install a scope with a 4"-5" eye relief, you can't move the scope far enough forward to compesate and you end up repositioning your head to get correct sight picture. Of course, if you don't plan on using a scope, then none of this matters. I'm sure everything else about the rifle is great...just thought I'd mention what I noticed.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

I tell you what I would like to have about 100 of these pot metal made guns as I could make a pretty penny on these so called plastic and pot metal guns.I was an inspector for 10 years and have owned 5 black powder guns.Two TC guns,One White,and Two Remingtons and my Model 700 would shoot circles around any of the others I ever had without even trying hard.My new Genesis with rebate cost me 165.00 for a stainless with synthetic stock and the quality of that gun is as good as the more expensive TC guns.See how many TC guns with stainless barrels you can buy for 165.00.NONE!Double that and add another 50.00 to it and then you can have a TC.While I like TC very much they are way over priced since Smith and Wesson has bought them out.Greg Ritz and Jim Shockey are great guys but dont believe all the hype they try to sell you.While TC sponsers every hunting show out there Remington is just flat out selling lots of great muzzleloaders for the average working man!TC prices make it hard for a new person hunting to get one even though I love to always buy American!I am glad that TC sponsers those shows as I like watching them but Remington did not get to be the largest gun maker in the world by being dumb as they reach out to the average American like me.Dont mean to rant but get tired of hearing TC talk how great they are but I have never seen one consistently out shoot my pot metal Remington! Mike
Old 10-13-2008, 04:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Does Remington Arms really make the Genesis or is it like the Winchester, where they sold the name. I have to admit this rifle has my interest. But I just do not need another rifle..

Quick Reply: Remington Genesis at Cabelas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.